Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Snipe, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod), 1,045 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88164 05/22/07 11:02 PM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Well, he's back and he brought a friend. 'Ole Sneaky Pete (alligator) showed up today, out of the blue. Swam right up to the pier. Then another gator swan up and joined him. Two gators better than one? I think not. He looks nice and healthy and at least 6 feet long, maybe a little longer.

I been needin a new pair of boot and a vest anyway. \:D

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
how about PB caps w/ the logo stitched in real gator's gators skin \:D

you know, though, we dont have critters like that around here, and if'n we did, i'd probably enjoy them as much as the rattlers we do have. great deterrent for tresspassers.

do they eat fish, or just keep folks from swimming?

GSF are people too!

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
D.I.E.D.

There is some conversation about gators eating fish and such - but I have no hard evidence either way. My local TPW game biologist provided a study that examined gator's and found a variety of stuff - frogs, snakes, turtles, small rodents and not much in the way of fish...stories about gators ruining the catachability of fish, but I have caught fish with the gator watching me.

I think (Gators opinion) they are mostly opportunistic and curious. If something is going on at the lake, like splashing water or noise, they check it out. If an easy meal is there, they take it.

I think the biggest concern is when they lose their fear of humans and/or become accustomed to being fed by humans, this is problematic.

Gator

Lunker
Lunker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alligator:
I think (Gators opinion) they are mostly opportunistic and curious. If something is going on at the lake, like splashing water or noise, they check it out. If an easy meal is there, they take it.
QUOTE]

Alligator: Your comment reminded me of a video-clip. It is long, but quite amazing that such wildlife "interaction" was caught on video.
CLICK> Life on the Savanah

Warning: This video represents raw footage of the "food-chain concept" (cast members include water buffalo, lions and crocs)

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Kelly - Thanks, that is an incredible sequence and is a good example how gator/crocs associate noise and splashing with an eating opportunity. I see that behavior in my gotrs too...they will come to where the actions is.

You wouldnt want to walk up to that pond and start splashing your toes in to check the water temp, would you? YIKIES!

Lunker
Lunker
Gator, I have enuff trouble with turtles I sure wouldn't want to have an alligator too.

Chris
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Whoa Kelly - that was an intense video. Being a wildlife biologist and a huge fan of the large cat, I had a hard time watching it. I'm glad the cats didn't wind up in the water with the crock.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Kelly. Those Buffs are tough and mean. Often noted as the most dangerous land animal in Africa. Those cats were lucky to survive. How strong must those male Buffs be to throw a 300-400 lb. lion 6 ft in the air.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
It would be hard to enjoy your pond with a water buffalo herd, a pride of lions and gators all trying to eat each other and you (Ok, the buffalo wouldn’t eat you)!

A lot less fishing and a lot more running and a lot more

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Was it me, or did you get the sense that the Buffalo were severly peeved at the lions? Getting the baby bull back wasnt enough - they wanted payback didnt they?

Lunker
Lunker
My FIL always said "Paybacks are Hell!"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I snagged a couple of shot of Sneaky Pete this weekend.

Gator

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I don't know. I guess that's just what you southern gulf coast ponders have to deal with.

I don't think I could get down that way. I mean being in the boat and leaning out to unsnag your line from a semi-submerged bush or tree would take on a whole new meaning in the sack category.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm glad I live in West Virginia. We don't have Sneaky Pete. We just have Ol' Sneaky Snake. He just drinks all our root beer.

Quote:
Boys and girls take warning, if you go near the lake
Keep your eyes wide open, and look for sneaky snake
Now maybe you won't see him, maybe you wont hear
But he'll sneak up behind you, and drink all your root beer

And then sneaky snake goes dancin, wigglin and a-hissin
Sneaky snake goes dancin, gigglin and a-kissin
I dont like old sneaky snake; he laughs too much you see
When he goes wigglin through the grass, it tickles his underneath

Well, sneaky snake drinks root beer, and he just makes me sick
When he is not dancin, he looks just like a stick
Now, he doesn't have any arms or legs, you cannot see his ears
And while we are not lookin, he's stealin all of our beer

And then sneaky snake goes dancin, wigglin and a-hissin
Sneaky snake goes dancin, gigglin and a-kissin
I dont like old sneaky snake; he laughs too much you see
When he goes wigglin through the grass, it tickles his underneath.

Tom T. Hall

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
I don't know. I guess that's just what you southern gulf coast ponders have to deal with.
Although my pond is still new, I'm already getting a lot of turtles, bullfrogs, and water snakes. If trends continue, I may get myself a little gator. I guess it would beat sniping at the pests with an air rifle.

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
The Demise of Sneaky Pete:

Well, an update on the gator situation:

I’ve spoken with a local TPW biologist who is going to set a trap, catch, and remove the gators. They will be re-located to a Wildlife Management Area that is in need of predators. I hope ‘ole Sneaky Pete will make a good addition to the WMA population.

My observations (thus far):

Gators, over time, become accustomed to and loose their fear of humans. I feel this is part of their natural learning ability or instinct. The more time we spent at the lake, the less threatened they felt by our presence and the closer they would get to us. In the end the gators would come directly under the pier while we were fishing or just a few feet away while we were on the bank. It seems that they “watch” and learn. As they inch closer with no harm, they inch a little closer and so on. Over time, the distance becomes dangerous.

They have a natural bite reflex. I observed this several times, the gators snap at anything within striking distance. They have the mentality of bite first, taste it – and eat it if it tastes like food. If it doesn’t taste like food, then drop it. For example: red-and-white fishing bobbers. It took them a while to figure out that my bobbers were not food. Anything that move close, especially to the sides, is likely to get a snap from the gator. Wow! They are fast!

They are curious. My lake became “their lake”. If any activity was happening on the lake, it wouldn’t take long for the gators to show up. My theory is that splashing water readily attracts the gators attention, so they will always come over and “check it out”.

They can become aggressive even if you DO NOT intentionally feed the gator. They gradually lost their fear of us and began watching us while we were fishing. First, they began grabbing at fish when we released them back into the water. Next they began trying to grab the fish before we landed them. Finally, one of the larger gators chased a hooked bass as I was fishing on the shoreline. It was in hot pursuit of the fish…in a very aggressive move. He wanted that fish and for a moment I wasn’t sure he was going to back off. He came within 3 feet of me – clearly going after the fish, but had it been a child or someone else, they could have unwittingly dragged the fish (and gator in hot pursuit) directly to them and put themselves in danger. He finally backed off after much yelling and waving of arms. They now clearly associate me with fish and are becoming more and more aggressive.

My 2 cents on gators in your lake or pond:

- First off, I like the gators. They are part of the natural system and a lot of fun to watch. You are lucky to have the opportunity to see them in the wild. However, safety must come first and as they become a problem, they must be relocated or removed.

- Size matters. A 3’ to 4’ gator is not a big threat and will likely stay away from human (unless fed). However, once they reach about 5 feet long, they start to gain girth and mass too. Anything over 5’ long should be “relocated”.

- Never feed them. Remember that gators move around too. If you are feeding a pet gator, think about this: What happens to the next guy when your gator decides to move on?

- Be aware if gators are in your area. They are becoming more populated and they are reclaiming their range in Texas. State laws protected gators and their numbers have grown. I grew up in East Texas never recall seeing an alligator. Now-a-days, they are all over the place and it is no surprise to find one. The state recently added a nuisance gator season as a result from the expanding population. I hear that gator tags may be standard on hunting Texas licenses sometime in the future.

- Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they are not there + where there is one gator, there is likely more. I have spotted anywhere from none to 3 (or more) gators in my lake on any given day. I predict that this will be an ongoing problem. They tend to come and go, often going weeks without seeing a gator, then all of the sudden they are back again.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Gator

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:D I agree !!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
excellent post gator.

i'd miss him in some ways, and definitely not in others......good luck to sneaky pete!!

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks, Gator. Nice summary.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...re-read Gator's thorough post, but substitute the word gator with lousy neighbors

Lunker
Lunker
It is permissible to relocate small-g gators, but large-G Gator must remain here.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Thanks guys, and yes the name of our lake is now officially "Gator Lake". How could it be anything else? \:D

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
that reads really funny b'ski......did you perhaps have a recent encounter inspiring yer post? (not meaning to hijack this fine thread mind you....apologies in advance gator).

GSF are people too!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Very very good post.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Alligator:
...Never feed them. Remember that gators move around too. If you are feeding a pet gator, think about this: What happens to the next guy when your gator decides to move on?
I had never thought of this. Awesome point and really good post, Gator.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward