Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,326
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
6 members (JoshMI, ewest, Sunil, jludwig, canyoncreek, FishinRod), 995 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
As I have mentioned previously, we have, for health reasons, sold our place and are moving into the city. As of May 1, the new owner, a truly nice guy, is moving in and taking over. We will continue to live in a smaller house on the place until our condominium is ready, probably in September, but it won’t be our pond.

Over the years, I have made many “friends” out here. Most are true friends, and we will miss them fiercely. Others, however, are actually friends of the pond, especially this time of year. The pond is big enough that I worry more about underfishing than overuse. I almost always say yes to anyone whom I know and who has proven to be a good guest, but I have always enforced a policy of “call first” before anyone comes fishing. Coming to the door to ask with rod in hand won’t do, and since we can see almost all the pond from the house, poachers have not been a problem.

I have a few tips about “fishing friends” for anyone living on their pond. These seem to have been useful for me, and maybe they will be for some of you. For one thing, I tell almost everyone no at least once a year, just to be sure that they don’t forget that they are guests and not part-owners. I have also always refused offers to help out with the pond, because I don’t want anyone to think they have purchased the right to fish because of their labor or material. I keep the boathouse locked and don’t let anyone use my boat, because when I go fishing, I want everything to be just the way I left it. I also go take a look at any boats I do allow on the water to be sure they haven’t just come out of some weed-infested slough and that there are no minnow buckets aboard. If I don’t already know someone (and it is surprising that some people who have never met the owner think that a cold call is all it takes to get an invite), I don’t let them come. I tell them that if a mutual friend is willing to talk to me and vouch for them, they might be able to fish occasionally. None of those has ever called back. Finally, I don’t let more than one party of fishermen a day use the place. If I find trash, I want to know whose it is, for they are never allowed back.

But, now, I have been telling anyone who calls not to ask me anymore after April 31. In fact, I have told them not to ask the new owner unless they already know him. He deserves a fair shot at choosing for himself who his fishing friends will be. I have recommended only two people to him, both in their 80's, and both of whom sincerely offer to help. One of them knows my wife’s weakness for boiled (yuk) peanuts, and frequently brings her a coffee can of them when he comes.

It really hasn’t sunk in yet that we are leaving, and I know we will miss the place once we do. But, time moves faster and faster, and we move slower and slower, so I am thankful for a childhood dream coming true for a decade and a half. I am also thankful for PondBoss and for all of you, all of the good advice I have been able to put into practice, and all the laughs you have given me. I hope to continue to keep up with this forum, and I have saved all my old magazines for the new owner to enjoy. I also hope the new owner will get as much pleasure out of Lusk and Friends on the net as I have.
Thanks for everything,
Lou

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I got a little teary eyed there, Lou.

Peace Brother.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I hope you hang around here and give us youngsters some advice. The new owner is lucky to have bought from you...it sounds like you've given him a first-rate setup from a first-rate gentleman.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Wow... Awesome post. Both food for thought and a que to be thankful for the days pondside while they last, as most everything in life is just a season anyway.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Lou,

Gail and I were reading your post and at one point we looked at each other and the tears flowed. Gail’s tears, as you know, men don’t have tears.......

We have talked about the day we have to leave here. We haven’t figured it out, though.

We wish you the very best! \:\)

Dwight & Gail

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Lou, you and the Mrs. enjoy the next phase of your lives. We occasionally need some more Mudcat Joe tales. ;\)

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Lou,
You will be making a major life style change, buckle up for the exciting ride, switching from lakeside to poolside living will be a quantum leap. I wish you both happiness and enjoyment.
I would have liked to have been one of your friends who fished your pond.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Lou you never leave the PB Forum. It goes with you pond or not. One can be absent for a while but you never leave. I hope for all here when one door closes, 2 more open. When you get by here for a visit I have a couple ponds for you to sample. The bright side is you keep your knowledge with you and may even have more time now for mudcat joe stories. Here's a toast to you Lou our PB friend. Remember the Lords not through with your journey yet. We need you to help us here on our collective journey. \:\)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If your ever in my neighborhood, I have a guest house and an extra rod n reel just begging to be used.

G
G
Lou, your well received and appreciated post, brings recollections that I closely relate to your situation.

When our son built “our” pond I was recovering from a lengthy hospital stay.
The magic medicine provided was a recliner on their patio, watching the heavy equipment sculpt the pond with the dam emerging in the background.

So don’t let the memories fade – better that any medicine.
Hang in there with the health problems.

There is always hope – stay positive – never give up, and knowing you as a forum friend, MudCat Joe wouldn’t allow anyway.

I will share with you the good news that Monday my doc reported that I am cancer free for the past 12 months, after a perceived death sentence three years ago.

We have become a family on this forum.
Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Life is good,
George Glazener

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
For one thing, I tell almost everyone no at least once a year, just to be sure that they don’t forget that they are guests and not part-owners. I have also always refused offers to help out with the pond, because I don’t want anyone to think they have purchased the right to fish because of their labor or material.
Good thinking. It's human nature for people to feel thay have "squatter's rights" if their access is unrestricted for long periods of time.

My pond was 5 years in the building, and I had lots of time to decide who would have fishing rights. Those who helped or made sincere offers to help get first dibs. Interestingly, they are all friends, not a single relative. It won't be fun to break the news to them that they can't fish. Or,,, maybe it will be. \:\)

Best of luck Lou.

H
OP Offline
H
I am humbled by the kindness of you all, and especially by your courage, George. May the cancer fade into a distant memory.
Lou

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gosh, Lou/Mudcat. I hope you don't stay gone very long.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
8ball3290, BradVV, patcinkc, Teg
Recent Posts
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by jludwig - 05/08/24 11:40 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by FishinRod - 05/08/24 11:30 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023