Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (RogersTailgate, anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1), 658 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79619 12/05/06 01:18 PM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
My wife asked me last night what I would like for my 40th birthday next year. I told her that I would like to take my father and brother on a Canadian fishing trip at a fly-in lodge. Dad is getting up there in years and has never been fishing in Canada, and little brother would have trouble making a trip like this work financially. This is obviously going to be a huge investment on my part, so I want to make sure everything is perfect. I've been doing some research, and for travel purposes I would prefer a fly-in lodge in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or Ontario.

I know there are some seasoned sportsmen on this site, so I thought I would toss it out there. Does anyone have any good recommendations? The ads and websites all make me drool, but it's always nice to hear directly from someone who has "been there and done that".

Thanks in advance!

Dan

P.S. Part two of my birthday wish list is a trip to Mexico with aforementioned wife sans the kiddos -- thought it would help grease the skids on the whole Canada thing... ;\)

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."
I
I
Been years ago...but Thaddeus is a great lake. Here is the link...

Thaddeus Lake Lodge

Bullheads and Carp are the devil~
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Has any of you ever been arrested? Ever?

The Canadians have a system that checks everyones background for all eternity. It doesn't matter the charge, whether it was dismissed or what, they will find it and you will have to prove that you are are inocent or have served your sentance. It is up to you to prove this.

In my case, I was trying to go hunting there. At the border, they checked my rifle and said no problem, but they had to do a background check. It came back that I had a Drunk Driving conviction ten years earlier. Yes I told them, that's true. The border guard said that I had to apear before a special inspector and prove to them that I had served my sentance and was no longer at risk for drunk driving. It was a very serious offence in Canada.

This was ten years earlier and they were making a big deal of it. I had to drive from Montana to North Dakota, get the court to fax over my paperwork and sit in front of an inspector to beg forgiveness and permission to enter Canada. Since my crime was more than five years previous, they allowed me to be rehabilitated for $200 Canadian.

My hunting buddy was turned down too. He was arrested for threatenng to shoot some tresspassers on his land when telling them to get out. This was right after Columbine and his threat was chargable. He spent the night in jail before seeing the judge. The case was dismissed and no charges were filed.

He also got all his paperwork and was interviewed, but was not allow do be rehabilitated. His arrest was less than five years, so it's an automatic denial. Nobody told us that one until it happened. He was told he could enter the country if he hired a lawyer and made an apointment with a judge to plea his case. They felt he had a good chance of winning it, but otherwise, he couldn't enter the country.

While there, we met other guys who had run ins with the law in there youth. One guy with a load of hogs had stolen a Christmas tree in high school back in the early 70's.

Before you go there, be sure you have all your records no matter how long ago it happend.

Good luck,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...I never wanted to go to Canada anyway.

Lunker
Lunker
"Why leave America to visit America Junior?"
-Homer Simpson

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dan, I have been fishing Canada for years but have never been to a fly-in lodge. I have been to fly-in camps and to drive-in camps and can give you some recommendations depending on what you are looking for. What is your fish of choice - walleyes, northerns, smallies? What kind of accomadations would suit you?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by eddie_walker:
Has any of you ever been arrested? Ever?

The Canadians have a system that checks everyones background for all eternity. It doesn't matter the charge, whether it was dismissed or what, they will find it and you will have to prove that you are are inocent or have served your sentance. It is up to you to prove this.

In my case, I was trying to go hunting there. At the border, they checked my rifle and said no problem, but they had to do a background check. It came back that I had a Drunk Driving conviction ten years earlier. Yes I told them, that's true. The border guard said that I had to apear before a special inspector and prove to them that I had served my sentance and was no longer at risk for drunk driving. It was a very serious offence in Canada.

This was ten years earlier and they were making a big deal of it. I had to drive from Montana to North Dakota, get the court to fax over my paperwork and sit in front of an inspector to beg forgiveness and permission to enter Canada. Since my crime was more than five years previous, they allowed me to be rehabilitated for $200 Canadian.

My hunting buddy was turned down too. He was arrested for threatenng to shoot some tresspassers on his land when telling them to get out. This was right after Columbine and his threat was chargable. He spent the night in jail before seeing the judge. The case was dismissed and no charges were filed.

He also got all his paperwork and was interviewed, but was not allow do be rehabilitated. His arrest was less than five years, so it's an automatic denial. Nobody told us that one until it happened. He was told he could enter the country if he hired a lawyer and made an apointment with a judge to plea his case. They felt he had a good chance of winning it, but otherwise, he couldn't enter the country.

While there, we met other guys who had run ins with the law in there youth. One guy with a load of hogs had stolen a Christmas tree in high school back in the early 70's.

Before you go there, be sure you have all your records no matter how long ago it happend.

Good luck,
Eddie
Sounds like nothing more than a money maker for the Canadian government to me. They should be ashamed of themselves.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Eddie's story is somewhat disturbing.

On one hand, it makes me wonder if the US Customs does such a check for incoming foreigners.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder how the Canadians can do that with even the slightest bit of efficiency.

On my third hand, it makes me wonder if the US government knows about this procedure by the Canadian Customs. It put's a small wrench in the NAFTA thing.

Back on topic, one of my friends goes to God's Lake each year. It's a fly in. I could get some details from him if you need.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
Eddie's story is somewhat disturbing.

On one hand, it makes me wonder if the US Customs does such a check for incoming foreigners.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder how the Canadians can do that with even the slightest bit of efficiency.

On my third hand, it makes me wonder if the US government knows about this procedure by the Canadian Customs. It put's a small wrench in the NAFTA thing.

Back on topic, one of my friends goes to God's Lake each year. It's a fly in. I could get some details from him if you need.
Another NAFTA SNAFU...Try traveling to Mexico with tools, equipment, parts etC. to do work. We usually have to try and sneak anything in on a tourist visa, or go 2 wks. early to Mexican consulate for a work visa. A while back, a service engineer went to install some Navigation equipment on a ship in a Mexican shipyard. Tools and some install material was sent in advance. He got the stuff on the last day after being there for a week. He used a screwdriver and crescent wrench borrowed from the ships electrician to do the work.
DISGUSTING.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
How can the ultra liberal Canadian government get away with such blatant denial of freedom and rights of passage. Come on HOLLYWOOD, ACLU, 60 MINUTES...where are you on this one?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You might want to look at Fireside Lodge in Ontario. I took my father and my two sons there several years ago and had a good time. We flew to International Falls, MN and rented a car and drove to the lodge. You don't fish with a guide, so you have to figure things out yourself, but that was half the fun. Beautiful lakes and good smallmouth bass, northern pike, and musky fishing. Since you drive in and don't fish with guides, it is MUCH cheaper. Food and accomodations were good as well. By the way, they give you good lake maps and the outfitter will tell you where to fish and what to use.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Let us not forget about our wonderful pond loving friends who reside north of the border (Wood and others)!!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
Let us not forget about our wonderful pond loving friends who reside north of the border (Wood and others)!!
You are so right, Sunil. That's why I specifically referred to the Canadian government. It is a beautiful country and we have very knowledgable pondmeisters from there. Plus, Miss Jamie Salle', the skater, and Rachael McAdams are awesome.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Trust me, Canadians don't really agree with our Government's policies or actions either. We complain about it, vote someone else in, nothing changes. It gives us something to talk about while waiting for our vehicles to defrost.

I wish I could help with fly-in lodges, never been to one myself. With so many lakes within driving distance, I never had the need to fly-in. Northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba are good choices, very few people, very large fish. Ontario has more variety of species, but more people also.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I just wanted to add to my earlier post, that my parents are Canadians and I have family all over the country.

After my little incedent I started asking around about what had happened and found all sorts of stories about it. I don't know if it's still the policy there, as it was 6 years ago that this took place.

About three years ago a guy I know here in Texas was going to go there and I told him my story. He had been arrested for having a gun in his suitcase at an airport. He tried to check it in with his baggage, but didn't tell anybody it was in there. They found it after he'd checked in and was arrested. He spent the night in jail, saw the judge the next day and was released. He was never charged with anything, just a stupid mistake on his part.

He contacted the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles to see if he'd have any problems getting into the country. They asked for all his paperwork, which he provided. They determined that he was undesirable and won't be allowed into the country.

He's a succesful business owner that has nothing else on his record. Not even a speeding ticket. He was never charged with a crime, just arrested, but that's enough for the Canadians to keep him out.

From what I've been told, the Canadian government was very embarassed over 9-11 and how many terrorist use there country to get to the US. So in there defense, they have made it very hard for US citizens to enter there country. It's backwards logic, but it's the way most goverment agencies work.

I only post this so people wont have to go through what I did. It was a huge headache and humiliating to have to explain to them something that I'd already dealt with a decade ago.

Good luck with the fising trip, I wish I could offer some suggestions on lodges. I always just fished the rivers with my Uncles depending on what part of the country we were in. Dolly Varden was my favorite near Ft. St. John in northern BC.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eddie, I almost attended a business conference in Banff a couple of years ago. I didn't go but heard nothing about any problems with the 500+ attendees. Surely not all of them had lily white backgrounds.

I guess it is possible for convention attendees to be excluded from scrutiny. It would cause the cancellation of too many $$$ making conventions/business meetings.

I guess it would be best for me to not even attempt to get in. When Lusk, Otto and I went to Atlanta, I found that I was on the No Fly Terrorist List. I had to step aside for about 30 minutes while they straightened it out. I doubt that I would want to hire a Lawyer to go fishing.

Wood, we have the same thoughts about Guvmint here. In my case, it gives me something to think about while the A/C is being repaired.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Guess Barry Switzer won't be going to Canada either after his gun in his carry-on! Or was that Jimmy Johnson? Some ex-Cowboy coach....

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dave,

A buddy of mine who I grew up with has been in all sort of trouble. He's a drunk and can bench 500 pounds for reps. It's a terrible combination that has gotten him arrested more times than I can count. The year they wouldn't let me into the coutry, he and his wife went to Vancouver without any problems at all.

I can't explain it, nor do I know the rules that govern what they are doing. It happened to me, my buddy and a few other people I've met. It's also never happened to other people that I would have thought were more deserving than I am.

Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...hmmmm; maybe a trip to Vancouver doesn't sound so bad after all.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'd better watch it then 'cause you all know that I can bench press 600lbs.

They wouldn't want a bruiser like me up over the boarder.

I can be lethal from the fetal position.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
I'd better watch it then 'cause you all know that I can bench press 600lbs.
600 lbs of bricks or 600 lbs of feathers?

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Whichever weights more, Lance, whichever weighs more!

I might add that my 600lbs of feathers don't fit in my house anymore.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Fishman Dan,

I talked to my buddy about God's Lake. It's in North East Manitoba about 100 miles South West of Hudson Bay (according to my friend's memory).

They stay at Healey's Lodge. The website is:

www.godslake.com

They catch Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout, and Brook Trout. It's too far north for Smallies.

There are three lodges on the lake, and they stay at Healey's. It's on an Indian Reservation. At the lodge, they eat breakfast and dinner; for lunch, the guides prepare shore lunches with the fresh caught fish.

Hope this helps.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
To add to this conversation I think it's more about the money than anything. Why? Because a friend who runs a hatchery in Ohio has to have a broker to bring eggs in. No matter that he has all his documentation etc. He has to hire someone and pay them to get the eggs through. Pure bureaucratic profiteering IMHO.

Another thing is, I've heard it works both ways. I've had some anglers tell me that some of American border agents are worse than the Canadians.

And I will say all the Canadian citzens I have met are outstanding individuals. It's the government policies that I have a problem with.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Have been to Canada one time about 10 years ago on a fly-in fishing trip & it was a great experience. Used Bolton Lodge & you can find their website on Google. Caught Pike,Walleye, & Lake Trout. They have a lodge with full meals & guides to fix lunches or you can fly to smaller cabins on secluded lakes & sort of "rough it" This is the Lake Trout my wife caught along with our guide(a really pleasant fellow) I highly recommend this place as long as it hasn't changed hands since we were there

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:36 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images