Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#73186 07/29/06 06:38 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One of my "fishin' nut" pals sent me this pic that's circulating. The pic title has it landed at Rainy Lake and weighing 44#. My pal says he believes the world record is 46#...?
Wow, this is kinda hard to believe. Is this thing legit?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks, Ewest...
If ya can, or want, you can nix this thread for me.

Lunker
Lunker
Brettski:

While you were wasting your time putting in a big, gorgeous pond that is well on the way to becoming the envy of pondmeisters world over, several of us attended to important matters by discussing this picture. I cannot locate the thread right now or I'd link to it. {Edit: But that's why we love Eric!}

It is fair to say there was a healthy level of skepticism about the authenticity of the photo. To my own limited Esox experience (haven't caught a Northern for 20+ years and have never seen a Muskie up close and personal), it looks a little fishy. Specifically, the highlights on the fish's head and the water do not quite smell the same to me. Alternatively, I feel it is within the abilities of good photo editors (yours truly not included) to put a Northern's skin pattern on the body of a Muskie. This may be a better explanation if the photo was created, as some experienced posters thought the fish had Muskie characteristics. A 44 pound Muskie is a (very) nice catch, but certainly no world wonder.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Twice is good with me. But this does prove a very good point. The speed of the internet and how far out in front the PB forum is.

I saw 2 science type articles (by people who are supposed to be up on all things fish) in the brand new In-Fisherman mag. - got it this week. One was about Round-up and frogs -old news and they didn't even report that it was not the active ingredient (GLYPHOSATE)
that was the problem but the surfactant - they just took a cheap shot at the product. Second was they reported on a study that PFF reported on several mths. ago but they failed to state the obvious problems with the study and its attention grabbing conclusions. Anytime a scientist seeks attention by grabbing the media spotlight, waves a study around and starts yelling the sky is falling be careful. Real scientists don't work that way.

POINT -- THE PB FORUM WAS WAY IN FRONT OF THOSE GUYS AND GOT THE STORY (INFO) RIGHT.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I could not verify this fish with my biologist friend who works up on Rainy Lake. He said the biggest northern pike caught this year was close, but not that big. He could verify that there was one caught that was just under 40 pounds. Amazing fish, aren't they? Even if that picture is "doctored," it certainly was a "pretty" northern pike!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've done probably a few hundred northerns in the 24 years I've been doing taxidermy and this fish looks pefectly legit to me. Not saying it is, as I have no way to verify it, but as far as the photo, color, and appearance I see nothing abnormal. It's a big female.

Additionally the shape of the tail is not that of a musky anyway if someone did some photo doctoring.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks for that feedback, Cecil. That fish is truly impresssive.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Gosh, you cant even post a pic of a near WR, without some skepticism. I may not even enter my 18" golden shriner in Cecil's pond records.
BTW, that whatever it is in the photo should knock down an out of control BG population pretty quickly. ;\)

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
... whatever it is in the photo should knock down an out of control BG population pretty quickly. ;\)
And possibly small children swimming in the lake.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
the tail of a pike is rounded , muskie have flat and pointed. muskie are white back ground with black bars. pike are dark green with light bars. i still say its a muskie. i'v caught plenty of pike. only a few smaller muskies. you can tell the diff when you get them in. just like coho and kings look the same when there the same size. kings have black mouth , coho have white. i have a 36lb 44" king on the wall.

i only wanted to have some fun
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by ken:
the tail of a pike is rounded , muskie have flat and pointed. muskie are white back ground with black bars. pike are dark green with light bars. i still say its a muskie. i'v caught plenty of pike. only a few smaller muskies. you can tell the diff when you get them in. just like coho and kings look the same when there the same size. kings have black mouth , coho have white. i have a 36lb 44" king on the wall.
Ken why do you say it's a musky? The tail is rounded like a pike and it obviously has all the hallmarks of a pike. So you're saying someone took a pike and by photo doctoring put the markings of a pike on it?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
From the photo, one does not have a good view of the tail.
Taxonomic key for Fishes of Canada says pattern on pike is dark gound color with white to yellow wavy, vertical stripes in young, or horizontal rows of yellow bean shaped spots in adults, cheeks fully scaled.

The key says Muskellunge pattern is silvery or light ground color with dark spots, blotches or vertical stripes; neither cheeks or opercula completely scaled.

The fish looks to have creamish to yellow spots on ground color body to me. The spots merge into or become wavy lines on the caudal peduncle. Note the small cream spots all over the dark colored opercule cover.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
J
The pattern of that fish. IMHO, is 100% northern pike. As Bill said, the best way to tell is check for scales on the lower cheek but I think this fish shows a lot of NP characteristics and no obvious musky ones. Are we thinking someone photoshopped the pattern on a musky?

Some generalizations I have found are that musky have more red in the fins, musky's spot pattern is less obvious with the spots being dark not light, pike are more green on the back while musky are often silver to bronze.

It does seem like there's something off with the picture. Maybe that guy 5'2" and 100lbs? The girth on that fish is IMPRESSIVE.

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
i say it's a muskie because of the light color. pike mostly live in or around weed beds. pike are dark green with white bars to blend into weeds. if you look at the tail it is diff , not round and has some point to the ends. i've caught hunderds of pike , small and large. biggest was 24 lbs , looked nothing like that fish. just my thoughts ok

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Tiger muskie backcrossed to a northern pike? This could account for added size and weird tail pattern.

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
i just found this same fish posted in a rainy lake fishing fourm. there it is posted as a 38lb fish. some there beleive it is a europe pike.

J
J
Yes, I could go for that theory. I have noticed that the european record for northern pike is 55+ lbs and this is often cited as the "world" record. I believe they are both Esox lucius. I am not sure if they are different subspecies or if they just plain get bigger. Anybody know?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by JayMan:
Yes, I could go for that theory. I have noticed that the european record for northern pike is 55+ lbs and this is often cited as the "world" record. I believe they are both Esox lucius. I am not sure if they are different subspecies or if they just plain get bigger. Anybody know?
Yes they are the same species but for some reason they get larger in Europe. No one knows why. One theory is the diet. More varied forage species and some forage is quite fatty.

J
J
Pond myth busters episode 133: get a pond, get a pike (preferably from europe), feed it mackeral. World record here I come.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Jayman, thats a good one, that head always did look as different as that fish. Nobody has commented on the line of surf in background, that is one big lake.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
One should see other large pike from Rainy Lake before making definate comments. If the fish is from Rainy Lake it is not a hybrid pike. I do not think musky occur in the regions around Rainy Lake.

Red fins are common on pike from some lakes in Canada. Truly large pike in deeper Canadian Lakes do not spend much time in and around weeds beds except during pre and post spawn. Thus their body color will vary quite a bit from those smaller pike 5lb-15lb that inhabit shallows. It has been proven numerous times that real big pike will spend most of their time in deeper colder water in proximity to the thermocline. Often they stay below the thermocline feeding on whitefish, walleyes, and trout, etc. That fish in the picture was probably eating 2 to 4 pound fish; walleyes, etc.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
some outside input:
some other fish forum

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
Hiya,

As I mentioned when the pics of the giant 'Rainy Lake' pike first started making the rounds, I had sent off an email to my friend Jan Eggers (AKA 'The Pike Ferret') in Holland to see if he knew the story behind the fish... As usual, he did. Here's what Jan had to say about the fish...

"This pike was caught on the 6th of March 2006 by Dutch fisherman Ewout Blom in a pretty big lake in the south of Holland, I know the name of the lake from where quite a number of 40 plus pikes were caught and released but promised not to mention the name to avoid too heavy fishing pressure.

"This pike had a length of 127 cm and a weight of 19,5 kilo and was caught trolling with a Rapala Super Shad Rap in perch colour and I have about 10 original digital pictures of this fish"

For the metric-impaired (such as yours truly), 127cm and 19.4 kilos works out to right around 50 inches, and just barely shy of 43 pounds...

So, not 50 pounds, NOT Rainy Lake...

Cheers,
Rob Kimm

T
T
That is a pike. A pike caught in Holland to be exact. How it has been posted in all these boards is kind of funny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??