Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (nvcdl, Tinylake), 1,363 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
OK... Why did you build / buy / manage / etc. that pond?

I grew up fishing and liking ponds for that reason; but I've realized that has become secondary. This was made clear during construction of my biggest pond and several times since when someone suggested I could make some good money by renting out cabins on it and / or making into a pay to fish pond. I recoiled from both ideas. To me, right now, more important than the fishing or the money is the escape. It and this forum furnish somewhat of an escape from an often demanding and stressful life... Or at least that is how it has been somewhat and how is supposed to be. I didn't envision the bullheads, snakes, skunks, and green sunfish... The idea is still the same though and I can still go there and dream about the potential. \:\)

So what's your story?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
personal recreation

3/4 acre pond
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well heck, I've always loved fishing. So, when I bought land over 20 years ago, it had a small pond that I spent a lot of time messing with. Then, I had a bigger one built. Next, I bought adjoining property that had water on it.

BTW, my bass boat hasn't moved in 5 or so years. It needs carpet, batteries, the gas pumped out and I expect all of the seals in the lower unit are shot. I don't have time to mess with it anymore.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
One reason for me -- I got fed up with jet skies on public waters speeding past my bass boat as I was fishing a quiet cove.

Dave I finally sold my bass boat and used the money for pond projects.

Frank

Book Owner and Magazine Subscriber 3 acre pond central GA
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Ranger I agree. SOLITUDE and the challenge and fulfillment of learning about how all the parts fit together. Also sharing the common experience with others. \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I was a child I dreamed of having something like this. When I was ten I'd draw floor plans of my dream home. I've since looked at them--they always have a pond AND......drumroll please.....a bowling alley. Go figure. I went heavy into debt to get the pond when I was 34 years old because I figured I'd make a couple of mistakes and have an incredible fishery by the time I was 40. HA!, was I wrong! I'm still making mistakes and have amended my goal to have an awesome fishery when I'm 45. I'm wildly obsessed with the whole thing. God first, family second, pond and dental practice tied for third. ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rangersedge:
......... I didn't envision the bullheads, snakes, skunks, and green sunfish... .........
Cause I can have this in my front yard.....been fishin ponds since I was 6 yrs old. Pooled water...opens up a whole new world of life.

BTW, Ranger, whats wrong w/ GSF? \:D \:D

GSF are people too!

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I grew up in a small town in West Texas, started fishing small stock tanks with my parents at age 3 or 4. Have always loved fishing, hunting and the outdoors in general. I could not wait until I got out of school and could move to the big city, and I did. Now I have some property of my own just outside of that small town and I can't wait for the weekend so I can go back! My wife told a friend we were going to the ranch last weekend and she said "Oh are you going to relax". My wife said no, my husbands idea of relaxing is to work our butts off all weekend. There is something about improving and working on your on place that does not seem like work. I can be filling fish feeders, spraying weeds, working on a fence or whatever and be happy as I can be. Now if I went to your place and did those things that would be "work".

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I always liked fishing as a kid. After we got our farm in '86, a pond was always "on the list' whenever we got around to it. It took 15 years; the thing I aave the most trouble believing now is that I let it take 15 years - I mean, where was my pond all my life before that?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
W
W
To be able to enjoy sunsets like this and to have the joy that comes from being able to swim, play and fish out back. What else can I say?

Dream it, Believe it, Achieve it!
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I'm a 3rd generation pond owner. They told my grandfather "it wouldn't work", when he built his first pond in the middle of the 56' drought. They told my Dad "that won't work" when he set out to create his crappie pond mixed with LMB. That's why I needed a pond too, to challenge my management skills and create an environment with HSB, LMB, CC, Crappie, & Bgill all in balance. Measuring and weighing each fish caught is now a habit...or is it a hobby ?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Before:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.a...ALat=32.1987207

After:

http://rockytoppers.com/location.htm

you know what they say pictures speak louder than words

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Because my wife and I both grew up fishing, and we love it. We have fished the ponds and lakes of friends and relatives for years, and want one of our own. I promised my bride many years ago we would have our own fishing pond some day. I keep my promises.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Ranger,

Interesting thread.

I basically match your feelings of escape. I have been involved with ponds as far back in my life as I can remember...dug a Missouri farm pond with a poppin Johnny and a hand sled/scoop as a young person.

Fishing is a passion with me. Over my lifetime I've seen the advent of tournament fishing and the increasing numbers of people fishing with similar aggressive approaches. Its fine for them, but not for me. I've been fortunate to be able to travel widely in search of unspoiled areas in which to fish and enjoy God's gifts.

Several years ago, I realized that my love of ponds and desire for a "different from tournament" style of fishing could be combined into the same package. Now, I can step out my back door, have tremendous fishing in the style I love, and best of all, very best of all, can show that style of fishing and life to my grandchildren, relatives, and other friends.

That legacy is very important to me and something I cherish and strive to expand with more ponds and always improving pond management techniques. Enjoy the journey!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML \:\) \:\) \:D .

I put race around aggressive fishing right in there with all the other hurry up and get out of my way lack of perspective elements of today's world. That is ok for those that want that , but not me. That is why the pond is a great escape. Take the time to build things (ponds , relationships , and character traits [in ourselves and others] ) that will be positive, lasting and meaningful along the journey. In the end its not what you get , but rather what you give, that counts.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I only got into fishing when I was about 21 years old (I'm 37 now). I was always into the outdoors, and when I was a kid, if there was a stream around, I would dam it up.

About ten years ago, I got my brother (only sibling) into fishing. Both of our wives had fished with their fathers when they were growing up, so they both liked fishing.

About eight years back, we thought it would be a great idea to buy some land with a pond on it.

Looking back, I had no concept of how much I would love my pond. And then, to find a place like Pond Boss where we all share this love of the water, that has amplified things 100 fold.

One interesting thing is that while my brother and our wives also love the pond, none of them have got into the level of depth or detail that I have when it comes to the pond.

Glad to be amongst friends here. Look forward to meeting in person.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have always loved fishing. When I was about 7 yrs old I began staying a week of every summer on a vineyard turned nearly self sustaining farm in Northern Ohio. It had nearly every farm animal imaginable of many unique breeds along with woods, swamps, a huge garden, fruit trees and a beautiful 1.5 acre LMB/BG pond. One of my favorite places on earth. I would do chores for food, board and fishing which was excellent compensation. You would catch a fish on almost every cast. The owner said that all the fry he stocked into the pond could have fit into a tea cup. I dreamed of having my own pond ever since but did not have the opportunity until I was about 25 and building my home. I had no idea what I was getting into until I had committed to building the pond and began doing reseach when I came across Pond Boss. And a good thing I did or I probably would have stocked the pond with a tea cup full of bass and BG. What fantastic resources this site and magazine are.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I didn't express my reasons previously because it is only a "ditto" statement that most of you have already expressed. However SUNIL took the words out of my mouth with this statement "when I was a kid, if there was a stream around, I would dam it up." This is me in a single sentence. I guess we are born with this desire from birth. I'm 45 now and the streams have only gotten bigger.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I've mostly owned properies that had some sort of view feature. I grew up in the city but lived on a canyon so I like having something to look at. I've owned a golf course home (get use to wearing a hard hat in the yard and replacing broken windows) and I've lived at the beach (sounds a lot better than it is but dealing with drunken beachgoers gets old).

So I figured buy a property with a pond and your troubles will be over. When will I ever learn, lol.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
We bought our property in 1985 - it came with a amall (.2 acre) pond that serves as water supply for our home. It got pretty low in a draught(sp?) year (1988?) and I began to think of adding another pond for water security.

I had a great site next to it that is below our house so it would also be a great view.
We cleared the land begining 4 years ago and built the new pond last year. I was lucky enough to have read a basic pond book by Tim Mattson so I got some stuff right. But as I am also an amatuer environmentalist/naturalist I was making plans to add plants to enhance bird habitat when I came across pond boss. I became hooked in just a few days and have been able to use the help here to move my pond project forward in a positive direction.

So now the pond is multi-use. Water security, natural habitat, scenic beauty, fishing - swimming - boating : family fun. The new pond will be right at 2/3 acre when full. I put in BG, RES and FHM in early June and added 20 YP 2 weeks ago. This fall or next sping I will add SMB and HSB to round out the fish population. There will be a lot of plants and wild areas - I really hope for a balanced ecosystem that is self-sustaining. I hope to avoid feeding, fertilizing, aerating and chemical weed control. We will selectively harvest the fish as needed in an attempt at balance - and fare for the table.

We have had 2 seriuous gully-washers here in the last 10 days. The one Thursday has caused widespread flooding, road closings, some deaths and a state of emergency in our area of Ohio. Fortunately for me my pond added 10" of water - it is fed almost entirely by straight-down rain with a little run off. It will be 8' deep when full and is now at about 65" - 2.5' to go! The creek next to it is raging - came up about 5' and within maybe 4' of getting into my pond.

2/3 acre pond 12 miles from that big pond we call Lake Erie.
L
L
A couple of years ago I told my wife I wanted to buy some property just down the road from our place, however, the wife put the nix on that and said that we should put money in our place instead of buying another place. So last November we completed our "tank". I have to admit that it worked like a charm.

I grew up fishing small tanks and have been away from it for about 40 years except for a little coastal fishing.

Now retired and an absentee land owner I do not have enough time or money to do all the things I want to do to our place. Its a feeling that only people such as on this forum can explain. So many of the things I do now are like reliving my youth. Its so satisfying and keeps me from getting old.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
You need to buy your wife a nice present \:\)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Like a second tank of her very own. You can stock, manage,and fish it for her. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
why? Because my beautiful wife let me. Thats why. I LOVE YOU HEATHER!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM