Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, Steve Clubb), 933 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68069 04/08/06 08:32 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Q: What is more interesting than having a gator in your lake?
A: Having two gators in your lake.

Picture of Sneaky Pete:

This week I discovered that my lake must be a gator haven. Much to my surprise, I confirmed that there are two gators living in my lake. I suppose there will be a whole mess (southern saying) 'o gators before this is all over with.

I am struggling with the prospects of removing the gators...

- There are safety concerns.

- I am told by my local biologist that if we remove the gator, another will likely take its place.

- What impact does a gator have to my fish population? This is unknown by me - many people seem to feel this is an issue; however I am still catching LMB like crazy. Anyone having experience here would be helpful.

- I learned that my gators do not seem to have an affect on the fish biting. The question was asked in another post. I hauled out several LMB which hit within 20 feet of the gator.

- Do the gators eat more bad stuff than fish? Snakes, turtles, predator birds, nutrias (I had these at one time, but are now gone – did the gator take care of these?), beavers, perhaps a feral hog or two, my neighbors pesky dogs - here boy, fetch!

- Long term will there be a whole colony of gators or will they migrate away as they grow?

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

#68070 04/08/06 09:04 AM
M
M
Alligator - How big would you guess Sneaky Pete is? If I knew those boys were anywhere near my approximate vicinity, the only thing I would catch is whiplash from looking over my shoulder You need to add the gators to your bottom signature \:D

Ted Kennedys car killed more people than my gun ever did.
#68071 04/08/06 09:38 AM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Call Steve Erwin!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
#68072 04/08/06 09:40 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
mr willy,

They are about 5 feet long.

From what I have been reading, gators only eat what they can swallow whole. They don’t have the ability to shred and chew (like you see on crocodile hunter), their stomach juices help them digest food. The biggest threat to humans is when they are fed; they learn to associate food with humans and expect a handout. They may snap at your hand (or other parts) mistaking it for food.

I have not fed my gators.

(good idea on the signature)

Gator

#68073 04/08/06 10:54 AM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I've never been around them, so they fall into that snake and spider clasification for me.

I'm scared of em and don't want em around!!!

I think I'm to far North for gators on my place, but people are always telling me about them in the Tyler area, but I think it's more rumor than fact.

If there really was Gators in the Tyler area, I'd think they would make the news and not just be stories from fisherman and duck hunters. Two groups that I'm a member of and can attest to the creative level of information they share. hahaha

If I saw one in my pond, I'd get rid of it just like a copper head or black widow. Some things I just don't mess with, and it doesn't matter how often or how many I have to deal with, that's just what I'm going to do.

Thanks for sharing the picture,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#68074 04/08/06 11:20 AM
Lunker
Lunker
If they eat a few fish and got rid of the Nutria, I'd say that's a good trade.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#68075 04/08/06 11:40 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Not really an answer, but more of an add on question. Wouldn't alligators be a little like snapping turtles that they would sense their own high density and attempt to migrate away if there numbers get too high?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#68076 04/08/06 11:47 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Theo,

That is my thinking too. My pond is located next to a big swamp area and should be crawling with snakes, but, in fact I see few snakes. I'm wondering if 'ole Sneaky Pete is keeping the population in check...I am going to do more research in this area (and all things gators eat) before "relocating" them.

Bruce,

I am going to check into population charastics of gators. I cant inagine a whole lake-o-gators..

I think they are generally treated like snakes in that "the only good snake is a dead snake" when in fact snakes can be very beneficial. Perhaps gators can be beneficial too.

Gator

#68077 04/08/06 02:14 PM
E
E
Gator,

The bigger they grow the bigger the prey they consume, including dogs and small children. They are also very fast on land, and smart enough to sneek up on their selected prey. If you have or even might have children near your pond I'd have them removed, or do it yourself, the tails good eatin, but then they probably think yours is too!

Edward A Long
#68078 04/09/06 10:54 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Depending on the size of the lake, they are generally harmless. I think they eat more frogs, snakes, turtles, mammals, and birds than they eat fish. If you harrass them, they will never come near humans. Never feed them or throw crippled or dying fish back in the water! A good way to harrass them is to cast a fishing line over their back and snag them. It's fun until they break the line, and they won't come around humans for a long time afterwards. When they get really big, they can become a serious problem in small lakes. Personally, I would not tolarate them at all in my small pond because they grow up fast. But they would arguably be good for a 10 acre lake or larger. If your lake is small-ish, let them grow to 6 feet, shoot them, and call your friends for a BBQ! \:\)

#68079 04/09/06 08:57 PM
S
S
I'm with ealong59. We had two on our 6 acre pond that we attempted to cohabitate with. They came with the property and we thought of it as a novelty. Never fed them or did anything to try to attract them. I guess they are curious as it did not take very long before they started following us around the pond. Everything was well and good until one of them took down my 55 lb bird dog. They broke the truce and I "relocated" them. The one I estimated to be about 6 - 7 feet long while in the water turned out to be 10.5'.

I learned a valuable lesson. As hard as it was on us, I'm thankfull it was not one of my two boys.

Eddie, the answer is "yes" they are that far north. I am a good 30 miles north of you outside of Quitman.

#68080 04/10/06 12:15 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Maybe there's a reason we are in California, my wife and kids saw the gator pics. and my east Texas pond dream just sprung a leak...Kevin

#68081 04/10/06 06:05 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sandbox shares another of Nature's tales of Woe:
 Quote:
I guess they are curious as it did not take very long before they started following us around the pond. Everything was well and good until one of them took down my 55 lb bird dog.
\:\(
Sorry to hear that one, Sandbox...
Honestly, I'm watchin' this documentary on Natl Geo Explorer about gators at Sanibel Island while this thread is developing. To see them EXPLODE from beneath the water at the shoreline and grab a victim before they can even twitch is blood-chilling.
 Quote:
From what I have been reading, gators only eat what they can swallow whole
Perhaps, but they have no problem taking down a 200# man, ripping off his leg and leaving him to bleed out.
Bottom Line: this wild animal cannot be assumed to any level of domestic behavior to any degree of certainty. The thought of knowing that I couldn't walk within 20 feet of my pond without carefully scouring the water surface for 2 beady eyes and the tip of a snout would "make or break" my spirit and attitude. Swim? Fuggedaboutit! This is a perfect example of having "zero" chances; the first bad story will document irrevocable regret.
Ya know, how often I hear stuff like this and walk away relieved to know that I don't have to deal that in MY backyard. Then my next door neighbor has a pal drown in his pond during a freak accident. I think about how crazy California Guy is to live in an area that lives in fear of earthquakes and wildfires...sure am glad I don't. Then a twister rips thru a neighboring town killing dozens. You can run, but you can't hide.

#68082 04/10/06 07:51 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Sandbox,

I am sorry to hear about your dog. From what I have read a 10.5'gator is VERY large in Texas. I wouldn’t think twice about removing a gator that large. I've heard about some big gators up in your area. Someone told me that the chicken farms were attracting gators because of all the dead chickens they throw away.

I confirmed my gators are between 5' - 6' and weigh about 50 - 75 lbs. Last week my neighbor’s dogs were swimming in the lake and the gators took off anytime the dog headed their way. I have a call into my neighbor just to let him know about the issue.

Also have confirmed one behavior – the gators lose their fear of humans over time and tend to hang closer and closer as they lose that fear. Did you see this happening? Was your dog in the water or how did it happen? Do you know how long it was in your pond?

Gator

#68083 04/10/06 07:54 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
California Guy,

Tell the wife there are a lot more things to worry about in East Texas than a gator in your lake. Remind her we all carry guns anyway and shooting a stray gator is all in a days work. (just kidding) \:\)

Gator

#68084 04/10/06 08:50 AM
S
S
Interesting theory on the chicken farms. I had never thought about that. There is a farm about a mile away. We have no idea how long they had been there. The property had set unused for at least two years. They definitely started losing their fear of us within the 1st month. I like the idea of harassing them to keep them at bay.

My standard routine upon arriving at the property was to go straight to water to see where the gators were before letting the dogs out. One time I let the dogs out and unloaded the truck before going to check on "Chomp" and "Jaws". Both dogs went to the water for a drink, one came back. We found his skull this year as the water level dropped because of the severe drought.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably just sit tight. If they really are that small, it could be interesting to watch and learn. Maybe you will be able to tell us all what the true impact to a pond is (fish, snakes, nutria, ducks, etc.). Just don't let them grow too big. Right now is the beggining of their mating season. If one of yours is a male, you may start hearing a deep, low bellow. Definitely gets your attention.

In June, we will be gator free for two years. Good luck.

#68085 04/10/06 08:55 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Sandbox,

Thanks for the information. I'm calling my neighbor (the one with the dogs) right now.

Gator

#68086 04/10/06 06:49 PM
E
E
When I lived in Louisiana, they used to use a chicken for gator bait all the time.

Edward A Long
#68087 12/17/06 07:35 PM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
The gator experiment is on hold for now. The gators vacated during the summer. Perhaps it was the drought, or food issue or something else - I don’t know what caused them to leave. A neighbor on the north side of me reported killing a gator in his stock pond; I suspect it was one from my place.

As the drought was at its peak this summer - I expected to see more gators since my pond was one of the few with water.

I suspect the gators are in y are hibernation this winter and it will be next summer before the gator activity picks up again...

Gator

#68088 12/17/06 11:36 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Alligator,

I just re-read my earlier reply and can't believe I posted it. I don't remember when I learned this for a fact, but we got Alligators all over the place her. None on my land yet, but the creek that is my boundry feeds into the Sabine, and that river is just thick with Gators!!!

A guy I know has a buddy with a 12 footer for a pet!!!

It gets down into the teens here in winter, but they must hybernate or something. I just had no idea there were so many of them and they are so common all around Tyler.

It's a very real concern that one day I'll have one in my pond.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#68089 12/18/06 01:59 PM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Eddie,

Gators tend to go unnoticed, but, a 12 foot pet is a problem, IMO. It is an accident waiting to happen.

FYI, for all the bad press gators receive, I didn’t notice any ill affects from have them around other than the safety factor. In 2007 we are supposed to get an alligator tag on the standard license. It is designed to deal with nuisance gators. At least you can legally eliminate them if they do show up.

Gator

#68090 12/18/06 04:27 PM
P
P
I know what I would do.
(Ready for this?)
I'd terminate them.
Better them than me. Or my kids. Or my deers. ;\)

Wish me luck.
#68091 12/18/06 04:40 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Alligator,
Maybe they would be good with some of your steak seasoning on them.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
#68092 12/18/06 04:54 PM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Jersey,

I think you are on to something...maybe I need to add a gator rub. I could have quite a market for gator seasoning since they will be legal next year!

gator ;\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!