Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,226 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#67853 08/25/06 02:30 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I read that experts now think the primary diet of the PM is dragonflies, not mosquitoes. It is my understanding a major part of the diet of the dragonfly is mosquitoes. I was planning a PM condo for next spring but now having second thoughts. I don't want to drastically reduce my dragonfly population.

I went to the PM forum link shown above and it does not directly address the topic but there are numerous photos of PM's with dragonflies in their mouths.

Has anyone noticed a signicant reduction of dragonflies at your pond after establishing a PM colony?

#67854 08/25/06 10:53 PM
G
G
This brings back alot of memories. My grandfather grew his own gourds. He then cured and painted them. He had MANY PMs nesting every year. The thin walled natural gourd is much cooler than the plastic ones. He strung the gourds along a thin wire elevated between two raised wooden posts.

Greg S. Maranto
"I'd Rather Be Fishing"
#67855 08/26/06 02:46 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Schroeder:
I read that experts now think the primary diet of the PM is dragonflies, not mosquitoes. It is my understanding a major part of the diet of the dragonfly is mosquitoes.
I always thought they ate small insects. If they prey on dragonflies, that would be a major deal killer. In fact, it would make them aves non grata.

#67856 08/26/06 10:01 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have a lot of swallows around my ponds. If I tried to attract purple martins would they compete to the detriment of either species?

I have a 4 inch inflow pipes to each pond and if I'm not careful a pair of swallows will nest in the open end od one of them. One year I noticed a pair of swallows started making a nest in it. Since I was going to fill that pond later after draining, I didn't want them to make a nest and have young in it to only have them washed out. So I capped it and attached another pipe above it for them to next in. When I first capped it the pair were pissed as heck and if I could understand their chatter I'm sure it would have been profanity.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#67857 08/27/06 06:31 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
I always thought they ate small insects. If they prey on dragonflies, that would be a major deal killer.
I am by no means a PM expert, but have done enough reading and on-site activity monitoring to know just enough to be dangerous...kinda like pond-meistering .
Yes, indeed, dragonflies and damselflies are a part of their diet, but not exclusively. My response to Cecil's query may add more thought.
-
-
 Quote:
I have a lot of swallows around my ponds. If I tried to attract purple martins would they compete to the detriment of either species?
PM's spend a large portion of their feeding and food collection time high in the sky. They also travel far. During the period that they are raising their young, about 1 month, a little more time will be devoted working the closer/lower peripheral areas nearer the nesting site. This occurs, tho, only on the way out and back to the nest as part of the standard feeding M.O. noted above. The male and female will typically take turns feeding, trying to always leave a guard at the nest. Each one will usually take 5 - 15 minute shifts. As indicated, they still go very far even during the "family way".
Barn Swallows, conversely, stick close to the ground, methodically working the fields and meadows.

#67858 08/27/06 11:39 AM
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Schroeder,
we agree...our PM house has sat without occupants for the past couple of years...dont know why the house is empty but I count on the 1000's of dragon flies we have to keep our mosquito population at a minimum.

Some interesting facts on the "mosquito hawk" some are capable of speeds of up to 55 miles per hour.
A dragonfly has a lifespan of twenty-four hours.
A dragonfly's penis is shovel-shaped at the end, to scoop a rival male's sperm out of the female it's impregnating. Thats wacky but since they only live 24 hours I guess they have to move fast and can't be picky.
I saw a nature show the other day that had a slow mo of a dragon fly nymph (they are underwater) inhaling a small fish.
I have read its impossible to catch a dragon fly...the big eyes and fast speeds.

#67859 08/27/06 02:49 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
 Quote:
I always thought they ate small insects. If they prey on dragonflies, that would be a major deal killer.
I am by no means a PM expert, but have done enough reading and on-site activity monitoring to know just enough to be dangerous...kinda like pond-meistering .
Yes, indeed, dragonflies and damselflies are a part of their diet, but not exclusively. My response to Cecil's query may add more thought.
-
-
 Quote:
PM's spend a large portion of their feeding and food collection time high in the sky. They also travel far. During the period that they are raising their young, about 1 month, a little more time will be devoted working the closer/lower peripheral areas nearer the nesting site. This occurs, tho, only on the way out and back to the nest as part of the standard feeding M.O. noted above. The male and female will typically take turns feeding, trying to always leave a guard at the nest. Each one will usually take 5 - 15 minute shifts. As indicated, they still go very far even during the "family way".
Barn Swallows, conversely, stick close to the ground, methodically working the fields and meadows.
Maybe as a rule but I've seen the quite high while I was swimming the other day. I think I have a mix of barn swallows and ground swallows.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#67860 08/27/06 08:11 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by yoli:
Schroeder,
I saw a nature show the other day that had a slow mo of a dragon fly nymph (they are underwater) inhaling a small fish.
I have read its impossible to catch a dragon fly...the big eyes and fast speeds.
The nymphs are little killers. They will eat anything small enough to control with their grabber.

Dragonflies are very easy to catch. Just move your hand real slow, and you have about 50% success. On a windy day, you can point your finger upward and hold real still, they will land on it.

#67861 03/30/07 07:57 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
** Let's start 2007 with another great year for Purple Martins **
Well, it's Friday and my mind is well into gear with a couple dozen different development projects at the pondsite. How best to dodge the weather, what to work on first, get Sunil and Burger off my back by gettin' the fish stuff stocked...you know, settin' project priorities.
-
-
When we finished last year's Purple Martin cycle, as we do every year, we take down the gourd rack and the telescopic pole and put it all into winter storage. All that remains in the middle of our backyard is the 4' tall base pipe that is cemented into the ground. I slip a short pc of PVC pipe with a PVC cap over this base pipe to keep rain and snow out and fuggedaboutit. So, as noted above, I'm goin' thru my A.M. routine, my mind blazing about the work day ahead and the pond projects that lie just beyond. As I walk past the kitchen window, something slightly different in the backyard catches the corner of my vision. There's an adult PM standing directly on top of that PVC pipe cap, preening a little and doin' one of those "hey, what the heck...where's the summer home?" It is, no doubt, a scout. And strangely, I just checked the PM Scout report last night for the first time this year, figgerin' that I better try to put up the rack and gourds this weekend.
-
-
Now, to many of you, this might evoke very little reaction, let alone interest. That's OK; it's likely a little more spiritual for D-ski and me. You see, where we live PM's are somewhat difficult to attract, let alone successfully propagate. We have been working on this now, I believe this is our 9th year. Last year was the first year that we actually witnessed the young'uns make it out and successfully fledge. It didn't match the incubation period per historical averages (missed by about 5 days), but I attribute that to a combo of bad records on our part and the possibility of an early fledge. We watched the adults feed the fledglings outside the nest on the power line next to the house. We never got this far before...to us, this took 8 years to achieve. 3 teeny PM's...it's just a cool feeling to think that we had even a little bit to do with it. Then, after a long winter absence, for the first time in 9 years it seems that they now wait on us...not us on them.
-
Needless to say, when I got home from work...up goes the gourds. Here's to hopin' for another successful PM season.

#67862 03/31/07 10:42 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Brettski - don't know where in Illinois you are but "our" martins showed up a couple of days ago too (St. Clair County). We have two martin pole-top communities: one gourd system and one traditional compartment house. We've had PMs return for the last 10+ years. They seem to prefer the gourds, don't you think? I am a big PM fan (along with all other birds) and could watch/listen to them all day! Do you think we could attract them to our new 1.5 acre pond in the woods? Seems like they would have plenty of swooping area over the pond, but of course it is a different type of environment than what you typically see them in.

#67863 03/31/07 12:15 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
nice bird post b'ski and i commend yer efforts.

you didnt take that pic did you? if so, i'd say you missed yer calling in life.

GSF are people too!

#67864 03/31/07 05:29 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Claybird,
Thanks for sharing your story as a PM landlord. It tells me a lot about your dedication to a wonderful practice. I'm glad your on board here. We live in the 'burbs of Chicago, hence the challenges of getting a colony started. For us, having just one mating pair is a big deal and gratifying progress. I am jealous, yet pleased with your level of success. Can you post any pics of your setup, maybe with resident activity? \:\) Throw in a couple new pond pics, too...we always love to see that. As far as getting a colony established at the pond, you already know the issues PM's have with any crowding by trees. Do you have an open area adjacent to the pondsite? As far as the gourds vs tin PM house, I agree with your findings. We traded in the metal house for the gourds after 2 years and the PM interest increased.
-
-
D.I.E.D. opens the door for too much credit
 Quote:
you didnt take that pic did you? if so, i'd say you missed yer calling in life.

...nah, like most all my wildlife pics, it was filched. I can't say enough about the quality and selection of bird photos in the Gallery on the Bird Forum . You gotta sign up and log in, but for any type of bird stuff, it's got it all.

#67865 03/31/07 06:14 PM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
That sounds almost as exciting as the Vietnamese Chicken forum Bruce was raving about in Arlington last weekend!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#67866 03/31/07 08:28 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Brettski - We don't have any Purple Martin houses, though we have 3 or 4 pairs living here every year. Perhaps they nest in the old shed with the Barn Swallows.

The Purple Martins are never very close to the ground or the pond surface. The Barn Swallows fly a few inches above the surface of the pond relentlessly darting, diving and chowing down flying insects.

We have an old power/telephone line that runs between our house and the work (OK, hobby) shop that we want to remove. We haven’t, because the PMs and BSs congregate on it. I have a photo somewhere in the archives with several PMs and 30 or so BSs all lined up on there like they are waiting-planning-hoping for something to happen. ‘The Birds’

We have learned to live with a line of birdshiet on the driveway in return for no mosquitoes.

Our bird knowledge is empirical in nature. I suppose we are spoiled from living this close to nature since 1980(the end of the global cooling disaster era). :rolleyes:

You should take your own wildlife photos as it is just one more adventure to enjoy. \:\)

Wing-less Mosquito Eater

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
#67867 03/31/07 08:35 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I just saw an article in the des moines newspaper about purple martins. Most interesting part was coaxing them to eat scrambled eggs.

Quote:
Early spring is a dangerous time for the birds. Windy, rainy or cool days can dramatically reduce the number of flying insects on which they feed.

Too many bad days in a row and they'll starve, often dying by the dozens.

Dearborn doesn't allow this. He's been known to stand in his yard during rotten weather flinging handfuls of crickets and mealworms for the birds to snatch out of the air.

After three years of trying, he's even managed to coax the diehard insect-eaters into feeding on scrambled eggs out of a feeder.

Last year, a particularly bad spring, he went through 10,000 crickets, 10,000 millworms and probably 20 dozen eggs.
Purple monkey can fly

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
#67868 03/31/07 09:08 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
We have learned to live with a line of birdlime on the driveway in return for no mosquitoes.

And to think, DIED was moderated for using the past tense, shat! Misspellings are OK? \:D
All in fun, y'all.

#67869 03/31/07 09:29 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
burgermeister – You know me better than that! It’s not a misspelling.

Bremer Pond Weather
#67870 03/31/07 09:38 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Bremer Pond, I know, I know. Look how Theo molested my post. :p

#67871 03/31/07 10:11 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Molesting a post, that is pretty low, Theo! :p

Bremer Pond Weather
#67872 04/02/07 01:23 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Brettski - we usually have 10-12 nesting pairs. By July the young are fully fledged and the chatter is constant. I'd love to break their code of clicks! We also have several pairs of Barn Swallows in our old barn/garage. One pair usually tries to nest in the corner of the front stoop to our house. I have to keep knocking the nest down because they attack you when you try to come in the front door!
Here is the most recent pic of the pond (in another county) that I have. Will try to get new pics tomorrow. Dogwoods are in full bloom at the pond. I hope I uploaded the pic correctly and it is not too big.

#67873 04/02/07 02:27 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey, where is a good source for gourds? I built some great bluebird houses. After never seeing any on my place, they came and nested. I was happy. Then the tree rats got them. I know bluebirds are cavity nesters but I'd like to try hanging gourds to keep the squirrels out.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#67874 04/02/07 03:30 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
start shopping here: The PM forum shop
These are pretty big gourds, and are developed for PM's....not sure what to expect with BB's. If you use the oval entry hole, you will preclude starlings. They work well. You will NOT be able to preclude sparrows....Annie, git yer gun.

#67875 04/05/07 06:53 AM
L
L
Heybud,

My place is just west of Evant,which is about 40 + miles SSW of you, and saw a green jay recently for the first time. Maybe the warmer weather is extending their range.

#67876 04/11/07 05:06 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I have not seen any martins for at least a week now. I am afraid this unseasonably cold and wet weather (plus freezing temps at night) is taking its toll. We may get some snow tomorrow night. There probably aren't enough insects to keep the martins from starving/losing body heat. Brettski, how are yours faring?

#67877 04/11/07 06:13 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Heard a lot of splashing and commotion in the pond late last evening...careful looking revealed several PM's have returned for their luxury vacation on Meadowlark Ranch. Love those Martins!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build