Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,980
Posts558,171
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
11 members (andrew davis, Augie, Sryously, Shorthose, ghdmd, tlogan, DPSMESA, Sunil, JoshMI, Boondoggle, Brian from Texas), 1,048 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#67376 03/29/06 08:46 PM
T
TimBar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I got at least one otter in my pond. The dang thing is killing fish and not eating them, both in my pond and my neighbors pond upstream from me. We've found dead LM, Brown trout and BG's laying on the bank.Our state now has season on these critters, unfortunately it closed 1 Mar.
Anyone have a tip on trapping these critters? I have access to a large Havahart trap, any suggestions on bait would be appreciated. The obvious answer would be fish, but I don't think it will go into a trap when it's obviously got all it wants to eat.

#67377 03/29/06 08:58 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Barnes:
I got at least one otter in my pond. The dang thing is killing fish and not eating them, both in my pond and my neighbors pond upstream from me. We've found dead LM, Brown trout and BG's laying on the bank.Our state now has season on these critters, unfortunately it closed 1 Mar.
Anyone have a tip on trapping these critters? I have access to a large Havahart trap, any suggestions on bait would be appreciated. The obvious answer would be fish, but I don't think it will go into a trap when it's obviously got all it wants to eat.
Shoot, shovel and shutup. The state could care less about your pond and would be more than glad to burn you if you are caught killing one however. Even for fish farmers, getting a permit is a lengthy process, and bureaucrats move slower than the seven year itch. Fish farmers have to "document" the damage before applying for a permit. Can you imagine how many fish you would have left by the time you take the pictures, send in the application, and get a response?

But you may want to check and see if you can get a depravation permit and that may be faster.

In my state they reintroduced them just a few years ago, and are already considering taking them off of the endangered list. That tells me they are coming back much faster then they anticipated. I predict they will become a nusiance in my state just like the woodchuck did after introduction.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#67378 03/29/06 09:35 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Tim,
The experts on trapping are here: http://www.trapperman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=1

Just ask, they can tell you the easiest & fastest way to get rid of him/them.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#67379 03/29/06 10:11 PM
T
TimBar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Cecil & Rick, thanks for your replies. I guess I'm too softhearted to S-S-S. I've let a rather large snapping turtle stay in my pond for years. I would prefer to catch the otter and take him or her to a pond that belongs to someone that kinda ripped me off on a lumber cutting deal a few years back. As the old saying goes "Revenge is a better dish served cold."

#67380 03/29/06 10:29 PM
J
J
I have them in my pond. I had a trapper come in a put down conibear traps ( legal in Canada). He told me they are hard to trap this time of year and near impossible in the open water (still ice up here). He told me they will not come to a lake. I took a few shots at mine, then it became wary and I didn't see it during the day anymore. Maybe I hit it? I hope you are a good shot. They are very interesting animals but they can wipe out your pond.

#67381 03/29/06 10:39 PM
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Tim-If you do try to transplant the critter just remember that they travel for miles, normally in a big loop. They are a lot of fun to watch especially in the snow but only if you are not providing the food....

#67382 03/29/06 10:45 PM
T
TimBar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
James, thanks for the reply. They definitely WILL come to a lake and from what I've been reading, they will stay until the food supply is exhausted. I'm a pretty decent shot. I learned that in another country long ago and far away, perhaps that's why I'm soft hearted about killing. I think I'll go with attempts at trapping before resorting to more drastic measures.

#67383 03/30/06 07:59 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Barnes:
James, thanks for the reply. They definitely WILL come to a lake and from what I've been reading, they will stay until the food supply is exhausted. I'm a pretty decent shot. I learned that in another country long ago and far away, perhaps that's why I'm soft hearted about killing. I think I'll go with attempts at trapping before resorting to more drastic measures.
I can relate to the soft heartedness. I didn't have to do any killing in any far off land although I was in the service, but my dad who was a Green Beret in Vietnam and Cambodia doesn't like to kill anything anymore either.

The first stray I got in live trap, we both felt sorry for and released. \:D But after having my dog run after them repeatedly and once across the highway (she could have been killed on that busy highway) I've decided enough is enough. I snuffed one out this morning for the first time. The cat was dispatched instantly so I didn't feel bad. A friend that is big in Pheasants Forever says they do a lot of damage to wildlife. One of the few fence rows around is near where this cat resided, and a Bob White call I heard over there last year was short lived.

I have otters within a half a mile of me in a local lake. I can assure you if I see any sign of them in my ponds they will be history. I don't have the time or patience to deal with bureaucrats that have no clue to what it's like to make a living in the private sector where a paycheck is not guaranted every Friday.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#67384 03/30/06 11:06 AM
T
TimBar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I can relate to the soft heartedness. I didn't have to do any killing in any far off land although I was in the service, but my dad who was a Green Beret in Vietnam and Cambodia doesn't like to kill anything anymore either.

Cecil, give my regards and a snappy salute to your father, we supported the Green Beanies at Dak Pek in the A Shau valley. I spent about a week there. What they endured can't be expressed by words here.

#67385 03/30/06 11:08 AM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I've posted before about my otter as well as a beaver problem. I can tell you the otters will get the fish. I couldn't believe the amount of fish scales found on the far side bank of my pond. I bought some Victor Conibear traps and with the help of a friend who lives near my property we've been able to control them. The other thing is once they find your pond otters will come back. I'm sure they found my pond by the creek that runs through the property.

#67386 03/30/06 11:52 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Iowa reintroduced them a few years back, and is considering a trapping season starting this year. (Statewide public meetings to discuss start this month.)

I'd love to see one...but I'd rather it not be in my pond, I guess. I'm about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Iowa River...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

#67387 03/30/06 06:46 PM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Otters are no different than deer, Canada geese and many, many other species.

You can add all of the problems various species have together and they won't equal the damage caused by deer. The costs of accidents caused by deer, damage from deer eating crops and plants around houses and then Lyme disease are staggering. Obviously, we should get rid of all deer!

However, there are benefits of having deer and all of these other species also. Everything is a balancing act.

Trappers consider otters to be a economic benefit. People that pay money to view otters in the wild contribute in a big way to the economy. The damage occured by a few is insignificant compared to the economic benefits enjoyed by many. That is unless we happen to be the ones suffering the damage. This can be said for many other species.

We already know how to handle all of these problems. First, we try to separate the problem species from our areas. Second, we try to use non-lethal actions such as dogs etc. Lastly, we target individual animals that are causing problems. When we don't follow these steps, we often end up with more problems than we started with.

These are the types of controversial subjects that we need to be addressing. I hope that I'm presenting these ideas appropriately because I mean no offence to anyone.

Norm Kopecky
#67388 03/30/06 09:25 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
NO offence, Norm.

Tim, my feelings. If I had a chicken hawk that was getting my chickens, I would protect my property. Re-read Cecils advice.

BTW, they taste a lot like chicken.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#67389 03/30/06 10:22 PM
J
J
I talked to my trapper tonight. He caught one in the river draining my lake. Every year they notch the beaver dam when the lake is iced causing the lake level to go down. This creates a space at the shore where they can surface but still be under the ice. I will make sure next year that I am more vigilant with the trapping and if the otter lowers the level of the lake I will sand bag it back up. I will not make it easy for them. How much damage would a .22 rim fire do to an otter at 100 yards?

#67390 03/31/06 07:59 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
James, you would have to determine just how good you are with a .22 at 100 yds. Put a 5 gallon bucket full of sand at 100 yds and shoot or shoot at it. Check your accuracy and the penetration.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#67391 03/31/06 11:01 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Dave, thank you for your consideration. We have to discuss these subjects. But we also have to keep our focus on the subject and never make it personal. That said, look at number 3 on my list of ways to handle problem animals.

Here are my concerns about this subject.

We don't want people to automatically blast everything in sight. If we have to remove a problem, we want to be very selective about it.

We want people to know clearly the difference between a cormorant and a merganser or green heron. In other words, we want people to be very knowledgeable about what they are doing.

Cecil said, shoot, shovel and shut up. Good advice but unfortunately, so many people have trouble shutting up.

We don't want someone that is arrested for shooting something to justify their actions by saying the people on the Pond Boss forum said this is what they should do.

Any comments about these ideas?

Norm Kopecky
#67392 03/31/06 11:26 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
We don't want people to automatically blast everything in sight. If we have to remove a problem, we want to be very selective about it.
Agreed! Sometimes ceratin critters are more of a potential problem than an actual problem. ;\)

#67393 03/31/06 11:48 AM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
If you are posting it here, you're missing at least one "S" in "S-cubed."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#67394 03/31/06 01:02 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Let it be know that is my opinion and not the expressed opinion of the website or others. However I don't know of anything more effective and permanent then death when all else fails.

In reality IMHO the most damaging, annoying, self centered, wasteful, evil, and absolutely arrogant species on this earth is US! Yeah I know God say go forth and multiply and have dominion over the earth and its animals but he didn't say to do it irresponsibly.

No, I'm not an animal rights activist or a tree hugger but sometimes what I see of our species makes me want to puke.

#67395 03/31/06 01:22 PM
T
TimBar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Whewww!!! I certainly didn't mean to cause ANY dissension among the folks that post here. I certainly wouldn't use anything posted here as defense in something I might do. I'm not a tree hugger either. I can nail a channel cat to a board, skin it and have it in the frying pan before the head quits moving.
After reading the trappers board post as per otters, I'm now concerned about my pets. I have a pet goose and a labrador retriever that hang out together. Yesterday, the dog was laying on the dam watching the goose eat algae off the stand pipe. I looked up the pond and the otter was watching both the other critters. I've borrowed a large Havahart trap and intend to set it out this evening with a can of sardines for bait. I'll post the results ASAP. If I'm successful in catching this otter, my intentions now are to release it in a water reservoir lake that's about 7 miles from my house. I hope that's far enough to keep it from coming back.
Thanks for all your replies.
Tim

#67396 03/31/06 01:45 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tim your posts were fine. You did not start anything or cause any problems. Please feel welcome to ask questions and join in the discussion. Thanks for joining in. \:\)

#67397 03/31/06 05:12 PM
T
TimBar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Tim your posts were fine. You did not start anything or cause any problems. Please feel welcome to ask questions and join in the discussion. Thanks for joining in. \:\)
ewest, Thanks for the reply, I should have read it earlier. The posts kinda forced me to do what I should have already done...called Ms. Kathy and subscribed to Pond Boss Magazine, Hehehe!!!

#67398 03/31/06 06:12 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good for you and keep up the good work.

#67399 04/01/06 10:43 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Tim, thank you for bring up this subject! These are the types of subjects from which we really learn!

The hardest thing for all of us to learn is perspective. When to do something and when not to do something. When to cross the street and when not to cross the street.

We have lots of potential problem species. Canada geese, otters, beaver, muskrats, deer, snakes, cormorants, mute swans and many, many other species. I personally have problems with deer, Canada geese and muskrats.

The first step is always to try and modify the habitat to discourage the unwanted species.

The second step is to harrass the animal(s) hoping that they will leave.

The last step is to remove the unwanted animal. This really is where perspective comes in. I'm not about to go out and just start shooting deer out of season. However, during deer season, I invite lots of people out to shoot as many deer and they can legally get.

Again Tim, thanks for bring up this subject.

Norm Kopecky
#67400 04/01/06 11:22 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tim,

I too don't think you started any problems. I was just stating my opinion and sometimes I get emotional. LOL When I see humans reproducting irresponsibly like rabbits out of control gobbling up habitat as in India it burns me up! Then we feed people like this and just enable the vicious cycle. We humans are our own worst enemy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:46 AM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by Boondoggle - 05/03/24 08:25 AM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by Sunil - 05/03/24 07:21 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use