Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,298
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, Joe7328, Fishingadventure, Zep, JoshMI, Knobber, Bill Cody, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, nvcdl, DrewSh, DPSMESA, catscratch, Sunil, cgoetz1, tim k), 970 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thats a BIG gar!!!

From the Ok. Wildlife news update:

Quote:
184-pound fish caught in Red River
Sean Chatham, of Ardmore, pulled in a 184-pound, 3-ounce alligator gar Feb. 25 from the Red River in Love County, establishing a new state record.
Chatham snagged the monstrous fish about 2 p.m. using a stainless steel leader and 25 pound test line.
"We try to go after the big ones, but when I saw how big this one was I was really surprised. I fought the fish for about 35 minutes before it got into some shallow water near the bank. When it did, I jumped on it and tried to keep it from making another run into deep water," Chatham said.
The record-breaking alligator gar measured seven feet, eight inches long and was an impressive three feet, two inches in girth.
Chatham's fish broke the previous alligator gar record by four pounds. Deryl Landers set the previous record a 180-pound fish also caught from the Red River in 2002.
Chatham, an avid gar angler, is helping the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation in a research project to learn more about these unusual fish. Each time he catches an alligator gar he places a tag near the dorsal fin before releasing the fish. This allows researchers to learn more about the gar population, seasonal movements and general life history.
"Alligator gar are truly unique fish and the Red River is one of the few places left where they can be found," said Kim Erickson, chief of fisheries for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. "We really appreciate the help that anglers like Chatham have provided on this ongoing study."
Anglers across Oklahoma are also an important part of the study. They are funding the project by buying fishing licenses, as well as purchasing sporting goods. Sporting goods manufacturers pay a federal excise tax for items such as firearms and fishing lures. These revenues go into the Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Program, which distributes millions of dollars to worthy conservation projects throughout the nation. The study is being conducted through the Oklahoma Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater.
Those interested in seeing a big alligator gar for themselves will soon have the opportunity at the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks. Aquarium personnel and Wildlife Department fisheries biologists recently collected two gar (one weighing nearly 100 pounds and the other tipping the scales at 70 pounds) from the Red River. The pair will go on public display after a quarantine period.
For a complete list of record fish and the procedures regarding certifying state record fish, consult the "2006 Oklahoma Fishing Guide." If you think you may have hooked a record fish it is important that you weigh the fish on an Oklahoma State Department of Agriculture certified scale and a Wildlife Department employee verifies the weight.

-30-

*****Photo*****
Editor's note: Below is a link for accompanying photo that is 72 DPI and intended for newspaper publication. The ending link is .jpg for the photo. The photo will open in your browser. If you have a pc you should be able to right click, save picture as, choose the file type you want to save as and click save. The other way is on file in toolbar, save picture as, choosing the file type you want to save as and click save. Images can be viewed with the article at

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wl_news.htm.

Low resolution - http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/newsrelease/030106/gar.jpg

Caption: Sean Chatham, of Ardmore, pulled in a 184-pound, 3-ounce alligator gar Feb. 25 from the Red River in Love County, establishing a new state record.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
J
I can't seem to get the article or picture to pull up. Anyone else experiencing this? I wanna see the gar!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Alligator Gar
That's a big fish, 184lbs.

And another guy broke the state Saugeye record with a 10lber just the day before.

-Allch Chcar
Living the dream, 21 acres. No pond, yet.
S
S
Hmm, now how many wallets and belts would that come to?

May God bless America and those who have defended her.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
WOW!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Another pretty amazing thing...the Red River is extremely low right now. I saw the river yesterday and much of it is so shallow you can wade across it and not be deeper than thigh high. Those giant gar must be coming up from Lake Texoma, and making their way into the shallow waters around Love County, Oklahoma. This area is west of I-35, west of Gainesville, Texas.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:52 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Zep - 05/06/24 07:36 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
How much feed?
by tim k - 05/06/24 06:30 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?