Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No it won't compete with Pond Boss! \:D How could anyone compete with this great site anyway?

The wife has agreed to set up a website just for entries of fish of record porportions that are grown in private ponds. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but think it would be fun to see what we can grow and have grown in our ponds. Kind of like a contest to see who can grow the biggest pumpkin.

Considering some states won't allow private pond raised or pellet fed fish into their record books, I think this would only be fitting.

I think I'll set minimum weights for fish not entered yet, and a benchmark to surpass or tie after a fish is entered of that fish's weight. I'd rather not just post pics of fish that don't surpass or tie the benchmark as the could be very time consuming for the wife.

Sound like fun?

PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK!

MORE DETAILS COMING!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
C
Cecil, there was a post a few months or even a year back where we had talked about opening a site for pond records. I'm still more than willing to help with any of the design, record keeping, etc that needs to be done. Will your wife be doing all the scripting? Also, is this going to be a .com site or will you host it off a free web hosting site?

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great idea, in particular because I think it would be unique. Thanks for taking the time, Cecil.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tritonvt,

It will be a .com site from our local server I believe. I absolutely hate those free sites with all the pop ups don't you!

I think the wife can handle all aspects of the site although I'll tell here about your offer and see what se says.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
C
Yep, I hate the pop-ups not to mention the other hassels that come along with free hosting.

If she needs any help with graphics or scripting, just email or pm me and I'll try to help. I'd really like to see this thing take off. I always enjoy looking at the fish others have raised and the stories they tell have of how they got there.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
But Cecil, what about the big blue.... \:D He would out weigh ANY lil ol Larg Mouth... \:D

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by big_pond:
But Cecil, what about the big blue.... \:D He would out weigh ANY lil ol Larg Mouth... \:D
Why not? I see no reason we wouldn't have catfish included.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CB1 :

Great idea !!! \:\) \:D Whould you start from the day the site starts or go back and pick up fish from the past. What info would be kept and what proof if any would be required and would there be geographic divisions. What about which fish like sunfish crosses. Need to start thinking about all those things prior to set up. ewest

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I hope this is possible...suspect entries have me concerned. Remember all the graphics with the pond boss book naming contest ? Not to mention Bruce's bgill with teeth ! I almost think a committee is needed for approving nominations...hahahaha. K Duffie is suspect from the start \:\)

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Also, I hope the site has mandatory pics with each entry (fish on a tape measure), and shows the top 3 for each species.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would think weight on a certified scale should be manditory along with a good close up of the fish with a tape measure beside it or on a measuring board. Getting a certified weight is a pain, but scales vary so much it would only be fair. Grocery stores have certified scales.

Probably a form to be filled out and signed by a witness or employee where the certified scale is at.

If Bruce shows us a bluegill pic with canine teeth I will be suspicious! \:D

I would definitely separate hybrid bluegills from regular bluegills. Probably coppernose from others as well.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You could possibly separate into two divisions--kept and catch/release. The kept could need certified scale verification and the released could be done on a length basis and require clear photograph laid against a measuring board. I think most people would have to kill the fish to get certified weight.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bruce,

I think your right. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

C
C
All good suggestions from everyone. However, looking at all the possibilities and options that I, and most everyone I'm sure, will want Cecil you are going to have a massive project on your wife's hands.

Basically if you have:
Say 4 regions for different records
Approx 20 species of fish
Recording top 3 fish in each category
Separate catch/release data

Then you have a maximum of 480 records and a minimum of 120 records you have to sort and archive. That's a little unrealistic considering alot of the records will be repeated somewhere. So say around 150-200 for practicle reasons. That a lot of data entry not to mention the task of individually going through each submission to verify it is accurate.

I attempted to put a page together a few months ago and encountered all these things. I realized it was way too much for one person. That's why I thought Cecil's wife may need some help.

I think in order to be practicle to both the viewers of the new site and to those who moderate it, a database would have to be setup. Cecil, does your wife have any experience with MySQL or any another databases? I know I don't, mostly because I have never had the capability to - one of the many other downsides of free hosting.

Once again it reverts back to the goal of the 'owner'. Complex site with many options, details, pictures, etc or a simpler site that doesn't require as much initial work.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM