Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (catscratch, TLL, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 1,090 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57056 07/30/05 08:35 PM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Since there has been some interest in fly fishing expressed, I'd like to offer what I consider a very interesting and informative article written by a fellow who can catch fish on the fly with the best of them, and yet knows little or uses little of the technical aspects of fly fishing.

I invited Cliff to fish my ponds this fall, and he accepted. Unfortunately a job transfer has taken him to Arizona. He holds several Texas fly fishing records, some in ponds.....records which I told him I would break one day. \:\) Anyhow, here is the link. Enjoy.

http://tahoe.cclservers.com/~theflyfi/fo...g+cliff+hilbert

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Outstanding article, ML. There is hope. I missed the knot tying class in the Navy. Went to dentist.

A
A
Thanks for the link. \:\)

If wishes were horses, dreamers would ride.

I must admit that I am not a fan of the Catfish \:\)
H
H
Thanks, Meadowlark. At last an article on fly fishing which doesn’t make it sound like rocket science for the rich. I keep a couple of Wally World fly rods around the place to entice grandchildren and guests into giving it a try. I promise them that it is easier than casting and more fun, too. My major contribution to their education is to hold a paddle above and behind their heads so that the rod will hit it when they bring the tip back too far, as beginners always do. Seeing someone’s first hit on a fly rod is worth a lot to me, and its not easy keeping a straight face when the novice faces the reality of pulling in the line to land the fish that first time.

Unlike the author, I only fish with popping bugs. I know I catch fewer fish, but each one is a unique thrill when the hit is on the surface. And if they won’t hit popping bugs, I keep a backup rod with bobber and cricket hook and also a container of worms out of my worm barrel aboard. I have no shame. I just like bluegill. As for casting, I use ultralight equipment and usually a J5 rapala, which is more likely to catch a big BG than a bass. My bass are strictly for the benefit of my friends who don’t know any better. Give me BG every time.
Lou

G
G
ML, this is a very good article for the beginner with a casual interest in fly fishing who is contemplating getting started - if the author had confined his subject to non-technical” issues and left out the portion about “records”.

An avid seeker of “records” is driven by a need to succeed, and success only comes with advancing knowledge, which includes technical aspects.
I just don’t buy it….!

Otherwise I agree with most of what the author has to say.

It’s not about records – it just another way to catch a fish – as you well know, versatility is the name of the game.

I too am self taught – never had a casting lesson – never a fly tying lesson – and heaven forbid, never a record fish recorded.
I can cast a tight loop, open loop, backhand, whatever or whenever the occasion requires avoiding obstacles. Occasionally cast 80 ft. with wt forward line – 100ft. with a sinker ……. if I’m lucky.... \:D

I have absolutely no interest in pursuing records but know many that do, and I respect this aspect of their sport.

It’s my nature to do things well, and if I take the sport seriously, I will learn everything that I possible can.

I believe you and I and perhaps others, have offered the best advise:
Purchase an inexpensive Temple Fork Outfitters combo “type” outfit fly rod and reel, follow the included directions, and go out and have fun.

Forget the records and pictures of grown men in funny hats, fishing streams in far places with expensive gear, and have fun – that’s what it’s all about.

Beware – fly-fishing may be habit forming and the challenge will lead you forward.
\:\)

George Glazener

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by heronblu:
Thanks, Meadowlark. At last an article on fly fishing which doesn’t make it sound like rocket science for the rich.
heronblu,

Well said, well said indeed. Fly fishing has a bad rap for being eletist (sp) when really the sport is far from it, but unfortunately some people take it that direction.

George,

I agree with you on records...but if I happen to get one from my pond, well somehow I just might go for that. \:\)

80 feet is great , 100 feet, no way for me

By the way, to all beginners, most fly fishing situations you need 40 feet or even less. Accuracy can be far more important than distance. Don't be intimidated by George's 80 to 100 foot cast....just have fun with the sport!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ML, very refreshing article. I too am growing more and more "non-technical" as the world of everything around me grows more so. The reason? First, my sanity. I just want to enjoy what I'm doing. Secondly, price. The 'elitism' spoken of always comes at an extreme price increase. I do remember upgrading from fiberglass to graphite and the incredible sensitivity gained, so there is indeed a middle of the road when buying gear. The rental of a how-to fly fishing video by Doug Swisher and a good book on fly tying/+ knots set me up just right.
Tnx for taking the time to post that.

G
G
ML, you are absolutely right about most fish caught with 40 ft casts, or less.
Now tell the rest of the story.

In a stream with no room for a decent back cast, or in a stand of willows or brush on your pond, you execute a ”rollcast”.
Tell us how to do that without being technical.

You want to know why ML said 40 ft instead of 25?
You are casting the fly line and not the fly. A conventional wt forward line has a 30 ft “belly”, which is a larger and heavier portion of the line that you are casting – the remaining 10ft or so being a ”running line”.

Betcha you cast more than 40 ft for a bone, red, or a striped bass with a 40 mph tail wind.
Explain how to do a decent backcast into the wind without being technical?

But who wants to know? \:D
george

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
George,

Ok, I said most casts. \:\)

In Mexico, for Tarpon 60 foot casts were minimum with a 1 foot diameter circle of accuracy and a no-splash entry...with head winds, tail winds or side winds(generally 15 to 25 mph) and in a moments notice with time for only one back cast. Yes, that's difficult and it does get technical.

But standing on the shoreline of my pond, tossing a Miss Prissy at a BG is just as fun....and when a confused HSB takes one, its pure chaos...nothing technical there.

That's the beauty of fly fishing to me. One can get as technical and find situations as challenging as can be imagined that require every ounce of skill and concentration, but one can also enjoy the utter simplicity and elegance of catching a BG on the fly. Either way is grand and to have the opportunity to do both in life, well, I consider that a blessing of the Highest order.

Enjoy!

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I just noticed this thread and thought I would share a few pictures from last weekend. It's my sons first Artic Grayling on the fly. We are still learning, but are also "hooked" on it. We are very lucky to have many streams to explore close to home which is a good distraction since we moved away from our pond.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Tell us how to do that without being technical.[/QB]
If you don't know all the tricks, you haven't spent enough time fly fishing and studying feeding fish.

Fly fishing consists of 2 things. Learning to mimic the fish's favorite foods, and delivering it to the fish. Both are simple and easy to learn. I can't think of anything technical about it. It's been the only way I fish for the last 15 years or more. There's nothing like catching a big crappie on a flyrod!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
"If you have to cast more than 30 feet you're just plain lazy." Or so I was told by an old flyfisherman.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by tac5:
"If you have to cast more than 30 feet you're just plain lazy." Or so I was told by an old flyfisherman.
That "old flyfisherman" obviously had a few things to learn and never spent one hour on the flats...or any other salt water venue. Its got nothing to do with lazy and is very technical even if you have done for more than 15 years.

p.s. Wood nice Grayling and good looking kid too!

D
D
Talk about a non technical fly fisherman and talk about me! George, ML and Dave I received my fly rod and reel today from Bass Pro Shops just in time for my departure to Thailand on 11 August. Was a little worried that it might not make it, but it did. Will be trying out the pellet flies in the next week or so, following a few days layover in Pattaya Beach, Thailand on the way. Hope to have the fly rod in action and will report back on the results from a tropical pond. Thanks to all three of you for your assistance along the way!

Don

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump