Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5716 06/14/06 01:25 PM
T
Troy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, I've finally pulled the trigger! I am almost proud of myself, as I type there is progress being made on my dam that I've been stuing about for years.

You guys probably don't remember, but I've got a site in front of my house that is ideal for a 8-10 acre lake, but the bottom of the valley is limestone rock under about 5 feet of gravely soil. Here in the Ozark mountains of Missouri it's a crapshoot, but I've blew on the dice and their out of my hands now.

I do have several reservations, as the site is less than ideal - but I know it's a gamble and I'm just gritting my teeth. I hired a 68 year old pond builder who has been building them in this area for better than 40 years. I was going to attempt it myself, but I have bowed out. I posted my story here a few years ago.

Here's today's question though: How much of a kiss of death is it if the clay that he is bringing into the core is pretty dry?

I didn't think it was that dry, but I went down in there yesterday and it's more dry than I would like it. I mentioned that to my builder, but he works by himself and didn't seem to hip on the idea of trying to find a source for watering the layers down. Looking back I should've took off from work and done it myself, but I wasn't aware of the condition of the clay.

He said that he didn't think it would be that dry either since he dug a pond last week and had plenty of moisture. I spread a ton of bentonite in the bottom of the core yesterday for peace of mind. I came up with the idea of stopping the dam about two feet above natural ground level to see if the water would hold in a six foot deep hole that I dug upstream from the dam. I mention this to point out that the dam won't be complete, really just the core - I know, the important part.

Problem is he is going to be mostly done today - I just thought I'd get some comments.

Troy

#5717 06/14/06 03:15 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by Robinson:
"""""" [QUOTE]Originally posted by Troy:
[qb] Well, I've finally pulled the trigger! I am almost proud of myself, as I type there is progress being made on my dam that I've been stuing about for years. """""""

Ain't but one way to quit stuing.

Y"""""""""""ou guys probably don't remember, but I've got a site in front of my house that is ideal for a 8-10 acre lake, but the bottom of the valley is limestone rock under about 5 feet of gravely soil. Here in the Ozark mountains of Missouri it's a crapshoot, but I've blew on the dice and their out of my hands now. """""""""""

Congrats or my condoleces, whichever becomes appropriate. Got some fixing to do myself. Gravelly soil over limestone. Limestone aint' ever good, especially under gravel, but you know that.

"""""""""I do have several reservations, as the site is less than ideal - but I know it's a gamble and I'm just gritting my teeth. I hired a 68 year old pond builder who has been building them in this area for better than 40 years. I was going to attempt it myself, but I have bowed out. I posted my story here a few years ago.""""""""

Good you hired experience. I'll look back and read your story. Thanks for letting us know this.

"""""""Here's today's question though: How much of a kiss of death is it if the clay that he is bringing into the core is pretty dry?"""""

For compaction, it has to have a certain amount of moisture. This said, it will receive moisture at some point, and the weight of the dam may compact itself. To me, it is the least of your worries. Go read everything TNHillbilly has ever wrote.

""""""I didn't think it was that dry, but I went down in there yesterday and it's more dry than I would like it. I mentioned that to my builder, but he works by himself and didn't seem to hip on the idea of trying to find a source for watering the layers down. Looking back I should've took off from work and done it myself, but I wasn't aware of the condition of the clay."""""

At some point you have to trust your earthmover, and he has 40 years experience.

"""""""He said that he didn't think it would be that dry either since he dug a pond last week and had plenty of moisture. I spread a ton of bentonite in the bottom of the core yesterday for peace of mind. I came up with the idea of stopping the dam about two feet above natural ground level to see if the water would hold in a six foot deep hole that I dug upstream from the dam. I mention this to point out that the dam won't be complete, really just the core - I know, the important part.

Problem is he is going to be mostly done today - I just thought I'd get some comments.""""""

He seems to be moving fast. Keep us posted. Did you consider keying into the limestone? Anyway, I hope your roll of the dice works out well. I know the feeling, as I'm in a similar karst area.

Troy
"""""

Robinson, PI (Politically Incorrect, of Course)
#5718 06/15/06 09:46 AM
T
Troy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Robinson,

How deep and by what means do you core the limestone?

#5719 06/15/06 12:38 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
2' deep into the rock and ho ram. I don't know if it is the thing to do. Contractor did 3 lakes each 3 - 5 acres. 2 of the 3 worked, and we are in a karst regions. Mine did not at least yet. It is holding 2 acres and should hold 5. This said, there is a lot I can do, mainly sealing an old creek ditch, which sits 4' above the bedrock. I thing the water was going down critter holes. As you know, bedrock is fractured, and it has found it, and has bypassed my dam all together.

Looks like some bigger experts than me around here would help you or comment on your lake. 10 acres is a large body of water, and hopefully somebody will be interested in helping.

Anyway, good luck to you and I wish you the best of luck. You mentioned it best by saying "crapshoot". I hope it doesn't cost you to much.

Robinson, PI (Politically Incorrect, of Course)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!