I've got a question. Yesterday, my buddy and I were at the usual 12 acre pond catching some bass. We caught around 30 or so, but no big ones. Many of the bass we caught were scarred up along their sides and had a mottled,grayish color to them. He said that he had caught some that way on his last trip or two there. Some of them even looked as though they had sores like those "parasite infested" bass of summer. Just a few weeks ago, the bass were dark green and really beautiful. The water has been very clear this season due to a lack of rainfall which should contribute to darker colored fish (sunlight), right?
My friend considered gill nets, but I can't imagine someone putting gill nets in a pond (aren't they for rivers?) Another factor is that we have not caught any 5 pound plus fish this season and we usually pick up several at this place. I looked up LMB virus, but the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dep. shows that there are no external signs of it except for a bloated appearance. We have not notice any dead fish either. Does anyone know of any reason these fish look this way? Any information would be appreciated.