Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,200
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bobbss, tlogan, Fishingadventure, shooterlurespond, KiwiGuy, Bill Cody, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, lafarmpondguy), 1,038 guests, and 154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49083 08/01/04 04:47 AM
S
Swanny Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've been watching this board for sometime and have some basic questions about gravel pits. I am considering buying about 80 acres of land along the Platte river in Nebraska to possibly have a pond built. The land is pretty sandy but I see all along the river that they build gravel pits. My question is does this type of pond construction differ from the typical clay basin construction that I see everyone talk about. This area has also been noted to flood on rare occasions (once every 15 years or so) which I could see as a problem. I am curious if you could build a dam that would double to keep the water of the pond in and the water of the river out. Either that or filling in the land somewhat. Actually alot of these gravel pits don't even appear to have any dam. Any advice would be appreciated as this is very much still in its infant stages of planning.

#49084 08/01/04 05:34 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Swanny,
I am not an expert but I do know that the sand pits along the Platte are filled by groundwater. That would make them difficult to excavate ordinarily. I see that they use draglines and pumping barges on a lot of the pits. But, a month ago the river was completely dry along many stretches from Grand Island to North Bend. So depending on the location of the property, you might be able to do your digging during the dry season and use the common methods and equipment.

I know that there is a lot of great fishing in the sand pits along the Platte.

Brad B.

#49085 08/01/04 05:39 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Swanny,
The Platte rarely floods in the summer months. It's usually in the spring because of ice dams. Maybe the cold water would minimize fish transfer? Maybe an expert would comment on that?

Brad B.

#49086 08/01/04 08:28 AM
H
H
If you get some time drive down to Mulvane, there is an old sand/gravel pit just west of town about ¾ mile it’s west of the bridge that crosses the Arkansas River on the South side of the road. It sounds similar to what your describing and wanting to do, it might give you some ideas.

#49087 08/01/04 10:08 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Swanny -- as you have already heard, your pit will be excavated into the groundwater, and thus the "rules" for hill pond construction won't apply to you. However, it still pays to excavate the sandpit with "irregularities." Think of leaving an island (may want to rip-rap the shoreline to prevent erosion from waves), and perhaps a point or two. Don't just dig the typical square pit. Think bays, points, islands, instead.

Second, YES, I would be EXTREMELY concerned about flooding from the river. I am not familiar with the extent of floods along the Platte. However, flooding and the introduction of those riverine fishes can absolutely ruin your pond fish community. Do everything you can to select a site with enough "height" or "relief" (not sure of my word choices here) to prevent floods. Can you find some raised land that would prevent the flood water from reaching you, but still be able to excavate the sand/gravel to a sufficient depth to have a good pond?? If that river reaches your pond, you'll have carp, buffalo fishes, suckers, bullheads, and other potential problem fishes. I'm not sure, but do the white perch move all the way up the Platte? You sure don't want them! Do everything you can to keep these problem fishes out. A flood once per 5 years will ruin all the hard work of the previous years.

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
#49088 08/01/04 11:11 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Swanny, I grew up on the Platte river back when there actually was water in the river. For those that don't know, there is a horrible drought on the high plains. Every sand pit that I see being dug is being made by a sand and gravel company. As soon as the lake is big enough for them to work on one end, they start selling lake lots. It is amassing to see $500,000 houses in areas that, even to me, are in the middle of no where.

Anything to do with water in Nebraska is as politicially charged as any area in the West. If you don't cross every "t" and dot every "i", you'll have 100 people jumping on you right now! This is especially true along the Platte.

If you look at sand pits being dug now, you'll see that they have a berm of sand all around them. This is done to help prevent flood water from entering the lake. Still, sand doesn't provide much of a barrier. You really want an engineer involved.

Even with all of this, a sand pit along the Platte is such a wonderful thing. If I still lived there and had the money, I'd do it in a second.

Norm Kopecky
#49089 08/01/04 02:31 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would think one downside to digging a "gravel pit" type pond would be the amount of excavating required. Your water level will only come up to the level of the water table and that is why you typically see very high sides to gravel pits. Usually the water will not rise up to the edge of your excavation so you will have very steep sides prone to erosion down to the water line.

Gravel pits have been excavated for years until they are finally shut down.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#49090 08/02/04 07:32 PM
S
Swanny Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I will check out that sand pit by Mulvane. Maybe I can get someone to dig the pit for the gravel? I called the NRCS which wasn't all that helpful. They suggested contacting a gravel and sand company. The engineer is also a good idea since the platte is most definately filled with all kinds of things that I would prefer to keep out of a gravel pit.

#49091 08/02/04 08:40 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Swanny,
If you are lookiing at an area east of Grand Island you should call AArps Sand & Gravel out of Fremont, NE.

Brad B.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 08:45 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/03/24 07:53 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond