Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (FishinRod, esshup, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 699 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Y
OP Offline
Y
I was a bit surprised by a response to my comments on the ratings by Dudley of Louisianna, and having thought about that posting for a bit, am now as surprised to see it gone. I had not realized there was a mechanism for removing posts - but in any case, in no way did my light-hearted comments about the member designations mean to be disrespectful of what the PB team has established or, to any other member. If I was, I apologize.

I
I
ranch girl, first of all, don't feel bad if someone took your comments wrong...most people on this site have good sense of humors...others...well, they would probably get pissed off if you spelled bentonite or betonite. key point...you can't please everybody. have fun, avoid foul language, don't be afraid to respectfully poke fun at certain things and joke a bit. there's people everywhere that are so anal retentive you could stick some charcoal up their butt and they'd poop a diamond!! (i think that means they are so anal retentive/tight a..es that they would compress charcoal into a diamond...just one of those old sayings i guess. have fun, i liked your lunker/perch/guppie comments. i believe you are a lunker after you post around ten sites or so. you are moving up girl, mooovvving up....we are all so proud to see our little girl grow up into a lunker!!!

yes, take a little time and plan ahead, just like you would an architect job. be patient.

these folks are great. keep looking back on the previous post topics, and purchase the books offered on this site, and you will keep learning a bunch. i think most of the guys are glad to see a woman posting on this site because ...would be great to have our wives that interested in pond management....can you call my wife!!!??? ha, kidding. take care, keep us posted. mark

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Thought I had removed my post before anyone got to it, Ranchgirl. It seemed funny when I wrote it, as it was intended to be. But then I decided that you might misinterpret and so removed it. Seems as though I was correct in that regard. Your posts are clever and enjoyable and are to be encouraged. Certainly, I intended no offense and hope you'll accept this apology.

J
J
OK, on this site you go from fingerling to Lunker for posting ten times. As far as the stars go, I felt the same as BrianH, I got 5 stars for making a suggestion about the website that they used(I believe). Personally, I think a bunch of us should rank Greg Grimes(I allready did) and push his rank to 5. That's the one star ranking that bothered me. There's a man that does some serious posting, and puts out alot of information for all of us! Thank for taking the time Greg.

Jimmy

PB subscriber,PB gift subscriber,Book owner
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I'll second that!
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I too tried to push Greg to 5, no luck...we need more votes ! As for women aboard...yes and no. Ranch is trying to improve and is doing research, I think my wife would try to find the prettiest fish and color coordinate them ! \:\)

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Eastland, be afraid...be very afraid! If someone posts a little joke, DON'T JOKE BACK! There is no way to know who the charcoal stuffers/diamond producers are until it's too late.

J
J
Hey Bob, how about waving that newly aquired weighted magic wand of yours.Last I saw Greg was 1 post away from 500, that alone deserves 5 stars!

PB subscriber,PB gift subscriber,Book owner
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Heck: I've tried to get Greg to 5 stars several times. There is no way he and I should both be 4 stars. However, if he move to Texiz?????????????

Y
OP Offline
Y
Hey Dudley, et. al., - Thanks for the your note about the earlier posting. I understand completely and have often wanted to "pull back" an email, or even something said verbally, that didn't come out quite like I intended it to be. And I'm sorry not to have responded, but have been running hard with a few crisis issues at the office. So to all... don't "be afraid...", we are all big kids here and a joke is only that... a joke. Besides, every client I have in Louisianna is BEYOND polite and gracious, so I first wanted to believe that it was "I" who had offended, and thus my earlier note.

Lastly, I'm not here to disrupt anything, only to learn from those Pond gurus I have so quickly gained great respect for. Maybe a little levity was all I had to offer back for now, but someday soon that will not be the case!

Best to all from a very cold Colorado! PS - starting a new post question, so please pipe in if any of , you can help me...

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I'll talk with our webmaster, and see how the ratings happen, and who does it. I bet he'll give me a "magic wand."

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Hey guys I'm blushing over here. No big deal what so ever about a 4. Heck I think 4 is good. I appreciate the thought though. I think if someone puts me down for a 1 it will take alot to push it up to 5. I say what I feel and have ticked soembody off I'm sure. The rankings mean nothing to me, but the fact you appreciate my efforts to educate is plenty enough.
THANKS!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
I
I
I still remember the day i too became a "Lunker". There I was, sitting in my make shift computer station, laptop in front of me with my posture looking like Schroeder from the ol' Peanuts/Charlie Brown Cartoon strip (Schroeder was that piano playing character always leaning over his piano...just picture it).

The room was dim, the smell of coffee at my side. Wife and son (a 7 pound adorable little yorkie dog) asleep in bedroom. Pager was quiet, all was good.

Then, i clicked..."Add Reply".. then, and there, my life changed! My shoulders back, chin up, Schroeder posture gone, a glow on my face, a smile... I said to myself, "self, could this be?"

I looked up...thought i saw a glowing figure of Bob Lusk floating overhead with his magic wand and booming voice...about to tap me on my shoulder, honoring me with that status of..."Lunker". Did I make some profound posts that changed someone's life or pond? Did i rescue a pond from the edge of destruction? Did Greg Grimes just raise a 20 pound Largemouth in one of his ponds due to a piece of advice that little ol' pondmeister me offered in one my posts??? How was I going to thank "the little people" that made this possible?

My wife had awakened from the booming noise and bright lights. she shook me, "Mark [shake, shake], Mark [shake,shake], wake up, turn the computer off, there's a thunderstorm going on"...and then, and only then, had I realized...i just posted my 10th post...and THAT, my friend, made me a Lunker! Ahhh, what a day. mark

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Mark,
That's Funny! :p
Ric

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
I
I
well, i'm glad you did ric, because someone didn't...after i posted that..i got 2 more "votes" and i went from 5 stars to 4, in a matter of seconds!!! man...at least now i can truly sympathize with Greg Grimes...i guess he and i are both "Not Worthy" !!!! someday, i will be a 5 star'r again...someday, soommeeeday!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
thanks for a good laugh to get the day started!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Mark,
I would try to boost you back but I've already rated you & it seems you can only rate someone once. Look on the bright side .. they gave you the oportunity to relive getting to 5 again!
Ric

Ric
I
I
thanks ric for the encouragement...but i tell ya...i am NOT going to sleep with Bob Lusk, just so i can get 5 stars again. i'll just work harder, and maybe someday, sommmeeeddaayyy!!!!

I
I
ranch girl, what did you decide to do about the trees after the pond fills up and you determine the exact water level? i was just curious on the root systems of the evergreens next to the water because i'm debating on planting some near mine? i guess willows are out for me, to many negative comments...have you come up with any ideas (for evergreens)? mark

Y
OP Offline
Y
Mark,

Your posts can be hysterical! I think Bob L should come up with two ratings - one for technical knowledge and one for just plain encouragement of site comradery. I would give you high ratings in both! There are so many days I feel overwhelmed by what should be a much simpler question - so, the responses I get here are always helpful and yours are ALSO very encouraging - thank you! But, if Bob could wave that magic wand in my direction, I would ask for only one thing... better soils!

Back to trees... yes, I have decided to hold off until the March/April transplant season when the trees are just starting to come out of dormancy. Hopefully the pond will be in by then and we will be better able to determine the exact location for the evergreens. According to the Arbor Foundation, the roots can go 25-40 feet. Therefore, we will plant further out than that. I am still so thankful to this site for warning me off moving the willow trees - saved several thousand dollars in moving costs and what sounded like MANY headaches in the future.

As to the depth - still waiting to hear back from the excavator about going deeper than 10' to take clay and move it onto the sides (another Bob L suggestion). My budget is already tight, so will just have to keep my fingers crossed!

I
I
ranch girl, did you ever look at going ahead if costs allow and doing the 20 acre lake vs. the smaller pond?

i think i'm going to do some evergreens and a few maples/bradford pears etc...try to avoid too much leaf debris. and i'll definately avoid willows!!

mark

oh, thanks for the compliments, this site and it's topics are fun, i am glad we can all have a good time and enjoy each others comments, and at the same time learn.

I
I
ranch girl...thought about something. you said your clay is 10 feet down. have you thought about selling the dirt on top of it (assuming you don't need it for backfill behind your dam) ??
this may offset some of your costs

mark

R
R
Question...... has anyone had any luck with trying to eradicate some willows growing naturally along the waters shoreline by cutting these willows to the ground and installing landscape fabric over top of them and covered with a layer of rip rap rock. I'm in the process along my east shoreline and 2 islands (some 1200' or more in total) in doing this. I have already completed some 400' plus with no growth up thru the landscape fabric and rip rap rock but I guess next spring and the vigorous growth of these shrubs will truely tell the story of sucess or ........ Thanks

Rowly

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Rowly, I believe in a foliar pesticide. It always works. You have to be careful with overspray.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Rowly, cutting willows low and painting the cut surface of the stump with undiluted glyphosate (Roundup, Rodeo, etc.) is very effective if the application is made within an hour of making the cut. I always apply within minutes. As a spray for small willows or dense stands of small willows I use 3 fluid ounces of glyphosate and 1.5 fl. oz. of 2,4-D per gallon of water, with a surfactant. Either herbicide alone would probably work well but I find the combination especially effective. Of course, you know not to waste herbicide on dormant trees. Hope this helps you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy