Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Swamp_Yankee, catscratch), 826 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44512 06/24/03 11:46 AM
R
RMKD Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Howdy folks,

What a great site . . hope someone can give me some information. My pond is about .5 acre and formed by daming up a gully with a few springs in it. It's about 10 ft. deep at the deepest and about 2 ft at the upper end. I stocked it with a mix of hybrid bluegill, catfish, largemouth bass, fat head minnows and a couple grass carp. The pond is a very murky brown color and I want the water to clear-up a look nice. The pond has a lot of trees around it and thus, a lot of leaves and other stuff alls into it. I've been considering using one of the natural bacteria products, either the pucks or the bio-clean, to try and clear up the water. What are your thoughts on this?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It really depends on what is causing the "muddy water." I would assume since your pond is so new it is suspended clay or soil particles that washed in before you had good ground cover. Do you have a good grass cover now to prevent soil from washing in? You could add gypsm or allum to clear it up, but you may not have to. It may just take a little time to clear up as it is so new.

Anyone else here have some feedback? I believe Greg Grimes is in Georgia and would be happy to help you out.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
Hi being from North Alabama with about the same ype of soil as yours I can say that my 1/3 acre excavated pond is muddy during the summer. During the winter I normally get up to 18-20 inches of visibility but the summer forget it. I really attribute this to the type of soil that I have and the fact I am heavily stocked with channel cats and believe their rooting around stirs up the bottom enough to cause this. Just my thoughts.

Bob

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
After the fathead minnows are eaten you are going to have some mighty hungry bass and catfish.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
RMKD,
WHere ya located? If in N. GA we may be able drop by and see what is causing the color and help you out. If in S.GA it may be a few weeks before when can get down that way. What is the current visibility? Can you see a few feet or a few inches?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
B
I am not sure about your murkiness but am very curious what numbers you stocked in what ratio and where you are located. I stocked last year and I have a few observations on some of the species.

B
B
I forgot to mention I have been considering the pucks from the pond guy. I could use them in the spring if they work to clean up the waste from the last fall. They are a little expensive and would love a testimonial from someone who had good luck with them. Anybody that has tried them please respond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Brian,

Could you tell us more about these "pucks." The only pucks I know of fly across a hockey floor. Is this a brand of bacteria or a particular application method of applying the bacteria?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
R
Bacterial products would be greatly helped with the use of an aeration device. did you have any plant growth when you put the grass carp in? They may be causing some of the problem looking for something to eat.
Robert B

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Use the Gypsum to clear it up. Probably 20 - 50lb. bags in your situation. Best to broadcast from a boat as you troll across if possible. To test for this solution get one gallon out of your water and mix in a teaspoon of gypsum. If that works then fire away.

B
B
Cecil, the pucks are beneficial bacteria in pails. Go to thepondguy.com. They are on special right now. If you remember you responded to my questions about a bad winterkill and I am trying to reduce nutrient in my pond. I ordered them today so if no one has tried them yet I guess I am the guinea pig.

B
B
Cecil, the pucks are beneficial bacteria in pails. Go to thepondguy.com. They are on special right now. If you remember you responded to my questions about a bad winterkill and I am trying to reduce nutrient in my pond. I ordered them today so if no one has tried them yet I guess I am the guinea pig.

N
N
Hi all.
I actually live about ten minutes from the pond Guys store in Michigan. The pucks, although expensive have seemed to help somewhat. I have a very mucky bottom and have had improvement in both depth of muck and the floating algae blooms with the use of the pucks. Unfortunately, price is somewhat of an issue and I have not used anywhere near the recommended dosages, even so i have noticed definate improvemnt. All this being said, I don't think it will help a "dirty pond" as that is most likely sediments as everyone elso has already mentioned.

Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!