Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Dux96, cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus
18,520 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,998
Posts558,346
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,585
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,156
Who's Online Now
11 members (Mainer, Theo Gallus, BamaBass9, Brian from Texas, Shorthose, jludwig, Dave Davidson1, LANGSTER, highflyer, FishinRod, e_stallman), 1,012 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
22LB6OZ Offline OP
OP Offline
I am in the planning stages of building a pond in South Carolina. What are your thoughts on what vegetation would be good to get established for these two species? I am hopeful that I can get them established and get a healthy population spawned up before adding any predators to the pond. I just wanted to know your guys' thoughts on vegetation that would be suitable?

This will be a brand new pond so there won't be any existing vegetation in place. We're starting from scratch.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Why do you want vegetation?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
Sago pondweed wigeon grass, southern naiad, common pondweed, broad leaf (American) pondweed are all good choices for PK shrimp. They will prosper well in many macrophytes fairly quickly.
LCS probably needs little if any vegetation to get started but the young will need food sources the vegetation provides good habitat for.

22LB6OZ Offline OP
OP Offline
@Dave Davidson

Am I wrong in believing that grass shrimp would do better WITH vegetation? Or am I wrong in believing that Lake Chubsuckers survival and reproduction would be better with vegetation?

I am a novice. I am here looking for information. I'm an insurance broker who likes fishing LOL.

Last edited by 22LB6OZ; 02/01/24 04:21 PM.
22LB6OZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Snipe
Sago pondweed wigeon grass, southern naiad, common pondweed, broad leaf (American) pondweed are all good choices for PK shrimp. They will prosper well in many macrophytes fairly quickly.
LCS probably needs little if any vegetation to get started but the young will need food sources the vegetation provides good habitat for.

It was my thought that the young lake chubsuckers would do better surviving to adulthood and spawning with vegetation present.

Out of the plants that you mentioned, which one do you think would be the most easily managed to keep it from taking over a pond? I obviously want SOME vegetation, but I don't want to be punching through dense mats of weeds on every cast LOL.

S
S
American pondweed and Sago pondweed are my choices and where I have both I have very high reproduction from PK shrimp and yes, LCS will respond to it as well. It's not really a one size fits all as some varieties grow better in certain areas or conditions.
Plants respond according to the elements present, clarity, nutrient load, etc...

C
C
It appears from my past failures to get PK shrimp to establish in my pond that they need a certain type of vegetation and sufficient coverage of that vegetation for the PK shrimp to survive predation once other fish get in there. I also feel that the chemistry of the water, especially the calcium content or in general the 'hardness' of the water is pretty important. I believe our groundwater pond has soft water akin to rain water and the PK shrimp just don't seem to make a go of it.

You may want to check and post the water quality (a good water test is done by sending to a place that handles pond/lake water testing or a University rather than a water softener water quality test.)

I found this link in North Carolina but also see that Clemson U does it in South Carolina as well as several pond management companies that I see on Google.

https://haywood.ces.ncsu.edu/PondWaterTesting/

https://www.clemson.edu/public/regu...ion-water/procedures/water-sampling.html

22LB6OZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
It appears from my past failures to get PK shrimp to establish in my pond that they need a certain type of vegetation and sufficient coverage of that vegetation for the PK shrimp to survive predation once other fish get in there. I also feel that the chemistry of the water, especially the calcium content or in general the 'hardness' of the water is pretty important. I believe our groundwater pond has soft water akin to rain water and the PK shrimp just don't seem to make a go of it.

You may want to check and post the water quality (a good water test is done by sending to a place that handles pond/lake water testing or a University rather than a water softener water quality test.)

I found this link in North Carolina but also see that Clemson U does it in South Carolina as well as several pond management companies that I see on Google.

https://haywood.ces.ncsu.edu/PondWaterTesting/

https://www.clemson.edu/public/regu...ion-water/procedures/water-sampling.html

Thanks for that information.

I am hoping to get them established because more food for my bluegills ultimately means more food for my bass, so it would be nice to have them in there. I'm also not opposed to a different type of forage that fills that same niche. I'm not necessarily stuck on any one thing. I just want to get the food chain right the first time around.

I have been looking into different kinds of shiners and minnows as well. There is a loooooot of info to get through.

C
C
I'm hoping to give them a try this spring, and really hoping that they like coontail!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
22LB, I know nothing about grass shrimp and was/am curious,

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
22LB6OZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
22LB, I know nothing about grass shrimp and was/am curious,

I have always seen grass shrimp in grass. We would go frog gigging at night time and when you shined your spotlight in the grass you'd see a jillion of them down there LOL. I assumed that due to the name and where I always found them that grass was kind of a prerequisite. I don't imagine that those delicious little sob's would last long with no grass LOL.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
C
C
Sounds like you can easily harvest your own. Get a long handle and a fine mesh rectangular shaped net and sweep through the grass. I know that is how the fellow on ebay makes a good sum of side gig cash by sweeping through the grass and sells them all over the nation. I'm pretty sure he is in Florida so I'm not sure how he keeps a supply of cold hardy PK shrimp to sell but he does it somehow.

I think there may be some sorts of plants or grass that the shrimp prefer and many times it is a grassy substrate that they are found in.

I wish I had a place to harvest. I know years ago there was a pond forum member in Nebraska who sold to other pond boss members. If I recall correctly though somehow they harvested through the ice. Not sure how that works or why that was the preferred time to harvest.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Theo Gallus - 05/09/24 12:16 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by jludwig - 05/09/24 11:31 AM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/09/24 11:17 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 05/09/24 11:10 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/09/24 10:25 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification