Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Dux96, cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus
18,520 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,998
Posts558,346
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,585
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,156
Who's Online Now
9 members (Mainer, Brian from Texas, Shorthose, jludwig, Dave Davidson1, LANGSTER, highflyer, FishinRod, e_stallman), 988 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
Originally Posted by anthropic
I hear you, Dave. My wife is irreplaceable, has stuck with me through thick & thin, and there's been a ton of thin this year. Maybe 2024 will be better, hoping to have a great Alaska fishing trip with folks I love.

Tyler, Here's what I think fit the definition of "an addition or alteration to your property that increases its value, prolongs its useful life, or adapts it to new uses."

Purchase price of property (obviously)
Building dam for main lake
Initial fish stocking (?)
Standpipe, if not included in dam bill
Building small forage pond, including water valve that connects it with main lake
Roads, including road to forage pond & bridge over creek
Gravel roads leading to fish feeders
Controlled burn to help timber grow (we have a timber tax exemption so are in the business)
Cement parking space next to home
Artificial structures placed in the lake (?)
Front gate
Irrigation system for front lawn (a necessity in summer!)
Original landscaping, including flagstone walkway to dock (otherwise incredibly muddy trek when it rains)
Riprap on dam to stop erosion, if not already covered in dam building payment
Riprap on drainage ditch to lake, otherwise rapid erosion after every rain
4 bedroom, 3 bath double wide manufactured home (?)
Wooden porch for home
Building home pad with right soils & height so it never floods
Electrical connection to home (?)
Water line to home (?)
Septic tank
Purchase & planting of aquatic plants best suited for bass (?)
Construction of cement spillway to keep excess water & mud from hill away from home
Riprap covering emergency spillway

That's all I can think of right now. One last query: Are these costs indexed for inflation, or will I end up paying capital gains tax on illusory profits?
Originally Posted by anthropic
I hear you, Dave. My wife is irreplaceable, has stuck with me through thick & thin, and there's been a ton of thin this year. Maybe 2024 will be better, hoping to have a great Alaska fishing trip with folks I love.

Tyler, Here's what I think fit the definition of "an addition or alteration to your property that increases its value, prolongs its useful life, or adapts it to new uses."

Purchase price of property (obviously)
Building dam for main lake
Initial fish stocking (?)
Standpipe, if not included in dam bill
Building small forage pond, including water valve that connects it with main lake
Roads, including road to forage pond & bridge over creek
Gravel roads leading to fish feeders
Controlled burn to help timber grow (we have a timber tax exemption so are in the business)
Cement parking space next to home
Artificial structures placed in the lake (?)
Front gate
Irrigation system for front lawn (a necessity in summer!)
Original landscaping, including flagstone walkway to dock (otherwise incredibly muddy trek when it rains)
Riprap on dam to stop erosion, if not already covered in dam building payment
Riprap on drainage ditch to lake, otherwise rapid erosion after every rain
4 bedroom, 3 bath double wide manufactured home (?)
Wooden porch for home
Building home pad with right soils & height so it never floods
Electrical connection to home (?)
Water line to home (?)
Septic tank
Purchase & planting of aquatic plants best suited for bass (?)
Construction of cement spillway to keep excess water & mud from hill away from home
Riprap covering emergency spillway

That's all I can think of right now. One last query: Are these costs indexed for inflation, or will I end up paying capital gains tax on illusory profits?

Is this your primarily residence as well? Or a separate property?

A
OP Offline
A
Separate. We go there to relax & do some fishing, mostly 2 or 3 days at a time, but even that has been scarce this year due to a series of health issues.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Okay the reason I asked was to rule out the exclusion of gain for primary residence.

Publication 523 is also another resource that has some more details about improvements that count.

As for adding up your costs. There is a rule noted as the Cohen Rule from tax court cases that allows for reasonable estimates to be used for costs in the case records can’t be found/provided
. In general the IRS would/could be satisfied by a reasonable estimate of the cost at the time period, and there is some sort of general evidence that the improvement exists (ie you can see it) that should help with coming up with your adjusted basis add ons. For instance if earth moving work costs $xxxx now, it would be reasonable to assume it was $xxx years ago. Does it align with inflation, your memory, etc. Making common sense goes a long way here. Any and all materials you can find, drawings, permits, etc. help build a strong case.

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks so much, Tyler. Very helpful to hear from an expert! I really don't want my wife to go through what my friend did.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
I’d prepare what you have been discussing here in terms of improvements, come up with a reasonable estimate of cost and add it all up. Make sure the improvements are something that can be seen or understood by a 3rd party. For instance you wouldn’t want some improvement added that doesn’t exist anymore. Figure for each $10,000 there is you would be saving $2000 in taxes. I’d speak with a local CPA about your sale and the upcoming tax filings and share your information with them for your adjusted basis. I’d get their opinion on what you have, and how much support/evidence you have as a package and if they feel it’s sound enough for the return. Then you can go back and forth on a few items if they are worth the squeeze or not. Most folks having a hell of a time through audit have done some pretty shady things and or are really unorganized. Keep it organized, reasonable, and with common sense I doubt you’d hear from the IRS. If there isn’t any fraud involved the IRS typically only looks back for 3 years for audits. If you do hear from them, it should be simple explanations. The worst part about audits is the additional cost you incur for representation from a cpa or attorney.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Wow. I haven’t been keeping up with costs over the last 40 years. I’ve ignored the idea that I might need to drag out those expenses someday.

BTW, I don’t live there
I really haven’t spent that much. More of a DIY type who hasn’t kept records/receipts as never considered selling. Now, with arthritis and 80 yoa……

Characteristics:

133 acres that cost about $400 per acre a long time ago. Now, like properties with no improvements are going for $8 to 10k per acre. My phone never stops ringing.

Mobile home that I recently had under pinned. Needs work. Actually more of a $6,000 white trash trailer house that I bought a long time ago.

Dozer work to build a road through the place (1 mile).
Dozer work selective land clearing
2 to 3 acre pond when full. That’s rare
1/4 acre pond when full
Spring fed creek when there’s not a drought.
Bunch of deer blinds and feeders throughout the place

Storage stuff:
Shipping container
Construction office trailer
4 bay Tractor shades that I built

Septic system $$$
Water well $$$
Water piped100 underground yards to house and 50 yards to cattle pen. Did those myself
Well house
Electricity
Rented propane tank
Sewer tank and spray system. That got expensive

Approx 3 acres of coastal Bermuda grass

8 ft tall Cattle pen

John Deere with 4WD and FEL
Ford 8N
2 4wheelers

16 ft trailer and 4x 6 trailer plus a converted pickup bed trailer.
Lots of equipment. Bush hog mower, breaking plows, mower, disc, seeder, box blade and probably more.
Several unusable antique plows and old tractor stuff(junk)

Shooting range with stations at 25, 50 and 100 yards
Concrete ramp leading up into the front gate.
Gravel road 75 yards from gate to house
Deer blinds

This is the first time I’ve ever detailed out the improvements and characteristics. Had the place about 40 years but live in Fort Worth area. The property is 80 miles from home.

If I were selling I would advertise about an acre of blackberries started from bird droppings in 3 different places and some wild plum trees. All the rocks that anyone would ever want

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
If I were selling I would advertise about an acre of blackberries started from bird droppings in 3 different places and some wild plum trees. All the rocks that anyone would ever want

Dave, just about the most insanely expensive coffee beans in the world come from civet droppings in Southeast Asia. Maybe you could advertise your bird dropping blackberries as equally special! grin

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by tylerd1994
I’d prepare what you have been discussing here in terms of improvements, come up with a reasonable estimate of cost and add it all up. Make sure the improvements are something that can be seen or understood by a 3rd party. For instance you wouldn’t want some improvement added that doesn’t exist anymore. Figure for each $10,000 there is you would be saving $2000 in taxes. I’d speak with a local CPA about your sale and the upcoming tax filings and share your information with them for your adjusted basis. I’d get their opinion on what you have, and how much support/evidence you have as a package and if they feel it’s sound enough for the return. Then you can go back and forth on a few items if they are worth the squeeze or not. Most folks having a hell of a time through audit have done some pretty shady things and or are really unorganized. Keep it organized, reasonable, and with common sense I doubt you’d hear from the IRS. If there isn’t any fraud involved the IRS typically only looks back for 3 years for audits. If you do hear from them, it should be simple explanations. The worst part about audits is the additional cost you incur for representation from a cpa or attorney.

Thanks, that makes good cents -- uh, sense. wink

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I lost an awful lot of my wild blackberry vines during our long, and still occurring, drought. One local guy decided not to sell his place until our long drought ends. Good excuse for me also. A running, spring fed creek beats a dry wash. A couple of half full ponds aren’t worth much. 3 acres of almost dead blackberry patches are thorny, dead sticker vines. 2 other patches look pretty grim.

One detraction for my place is some electrical transmission lines that run for about 1/8 mile across a part of it. I plowed and planted coastal Bermuda over about an acre of it. Then , in the Fall, I disk it and plant winter wheat to feed and murder deer. Didn’t do it this year due to no sub soil moisture from drought. I also have a high tower deer stand there.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by jludwig - 05/09/24 11:31 AM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/09/24 11:17 AM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/09/24 11:16 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 05/09/24 11:10 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/09/24 10:25 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification