Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,589
Members18,538
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Shorthose, Champ59, Sunil, etx-pond-c, Jason D, jludwig, catscratch, Huntmastr1, Tinylake, LeighAnn), 1,073 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41391 02/07/07 10:10 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
How's about some tips, advisos, and quid pro quo's for those of us who haven't flown since you stopped having to worry about walking into the propeller on your way to the stair truck? I am especially interested in how to get the best service from helpful Transportation Safety Administration employees.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#41392 02/07/07 10:28 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Take minimal carry-on stuff. I would suggest checking your main baggage.

Don't carry any knives, nail clippers, files, etc. in your carry-on baggage.

Don't wear shoes that are hard to take off and put back on, 'cause you'll most likely have to remove them for the metal detectors.

Don't make any jokes.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#41393 02/07/07 11:45 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
For Heaven's sake, bring your driver's license. They won't let you check in without it!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#41394 02/08/07 06:40 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Have someone check the Terrorists list before you get to the airport. When Lusk, Otto and I were heading to Atlanta, I found out that I just might make the evening news. Yep, I was on the list. They were sorta "ho-hum" about it and about 30 to 40 minutes later I was on my way. I got a couple of wierd looks from fellow passengers. Then, when they saw me with Otto, I noticed people changing flights.

You know, Theo Gallus kinda sounds like a phony moniker. It is my understanding that anything suspicious or acting nervous will get you into the cavity search category. Have a nice flight.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#41395 02/08/07 08:13 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
To me, comfort and personal health are of the utmost. You will want to pick up a pair of shoes that will help to elevate your legs during the flight to minimize the chance of clotting. They are also helpful in negotiating thru the airport when encountering taller people. I prefer this style as it is a snappy look and blends well with all clothing designs.

-
btw, this footwear can be pricey. You will occassionally be approached by total strangers and asked to remove them, no doubt as a trick to filch them. DO NOT REMOVE THEM FOR ANYBODY!

#41396 02/08/07 08:27 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Definitely take some toiletries and a change of clothes in your carry-on. I flew to Orlando a year ago and they lost everyone's luggage in our group of 4 except for 1 of us. We never did get it back. Don't take anything of value with you. The airline only compensated my wife and I $700 for the luggage and contents valued at over $5K. Luckily our homeowners insurance covered most of the balance but it still created a lot of stress on the trip and a big hassle when we returned.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
#41397 02/08/07 08:35 AM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Wear socks without holes, and clean underwear (you'll probably have to take off your belt).

Just do it...
#41398 02/08/07 08:41 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker

AND NO GOOFY SMILES!!. That'll get you the cavity search pronto.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#41399 02/08/07 09:17 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
To me, comfort and personal health are of the utmost. You will want to pick up a pair of shoes that will help to elevate your legs during the flight to minimize the chance of clotting. They are also helpful in negotiating thru the airport when encountering taller people. I prefer this style as it is a snappy look and blends well with all clothing designs.

-
btw, this footwear can be pricey. You will occassionally be approached by total strangers and asked to remove them, no doubt as a trick to filch them. DO NOT REMOVE THEM FOR ANYBODY!
Great idea, Brettski. Thick, comfortable soles with plenty of cargo space. I have just the hat to accessorize with them!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
#41400 02/08/07 09:18 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
Have someone check the Terrorists list before you get to the airport. When Lusk, Otto and I were heading to Atlanta, I found out that I just might make the evening news. Yep, I was on the list. They were sorta "ho-hum" about it and about 30 to 40 minutes later I was on my way. I got a couple of wierd looks from fellow passengers. Then, when they saw me with Otto, I noticed people changing flights.

You know, Theo Gallus kinda sounds like a phony moniker. It is my understanding that anything suspicious or acting nervous will get you into the cavity search category. Have a nice flight.
No doubt there are a lot of terrorists named Zeno.

Any tips on how to check the No Fly list?

-S. M. Stirling
#41401 02/08/07 09:23 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Back before the dawn of time when I travelled frequently, I liked to fly light and carry on everything.

Can I get away with this stuff in a medium-sized carry-on?

-Clothes for 2-3 days
-Stripped travel kit - electric razor, toothbrush, eeny-teeny tube of toothpaste (no floss - I wouldn't want to have it fall into the wrong hands and be garroted by my own Glide)
-A book or two

-S. M. Stirling
#41402 02/08/07 09:23 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by rmedgar:
Wear socks without holes, and clean underwear (you'll probably have to take off your belt).
Great, now I have to shop for clothes.

-S. M. Stirling
#41403 02/08/07 09:25 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
You can't carry on more than 3 ounces of a liquid or gel ~ shaving cream, toothpaste, cologne, etc.. If you are carrying on put all liquid and gels in a clear ziplock - it will have to be removed from your suitcase and ran through the X-ray machine seperately. This also includes inhalers. No drinks can be carried past security. Get there with plenty of time to go through the security check - sometimes there can be long lines.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

#41404 02/08/07 01:43 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've read it 3 times and I believe that Sue's post is 100% legitimate. In the same spirit, a couple more thoughts.
---swipe your kid's I-pod and program it with some Rush and Firesign Theatre
---If you are flying on an airline that does not have pre-assigned seating, you may want to get to the gate about an hour early to have a better chance at an aisle seat (for leg room). Also, when you enter the jet ask the attendants at the door if any exit-row seats are available; they usually block them off as the very last seats available on a flight. If the flt isn't full, they may be available to a guy with that grin that Sunil warned you about. Oh yeah, and be careful...if a seat is directly forward of an exit row, it probably won't recline.
---grab an aisle seat for the logistical room within the aisle.
---Sue is right on the lotions and stuff. I think that the ziplock bag can only be the quart size...no kiddin' (can anyone confirm?)
---seats at the front unload first
---I used to always carry-on for 2 & 3 day road trips. Now, because of the restrictions on contents, I check 'em. If possible, and especially if the line is long at the check-in, use the red-cap curb check-in...I think the cheap tip is $1 per bag; hi rollers at $2 per bag.
---on line tickets rock. If you do check your luggage inside, you start at a computer terminal and swipe the credit card that you used to make the on-line ticket purchase . This will bring up you itinerary and misc flt junk "right now". Otherwise, you have to manually enter names and codes that you received when you booked on-line.
---if you book on-line AND you flight has pre-assigned seating, take the time to consider any options of changing that are available.
---If you book on-line, you can print your boarding pass right off of any computer by going to their website with your info. If you are carrying your luggage with you, this is an absolute must. It is usually available within 24 hours of your flight. Some airlines (like Southwest?) board in groups A, B, and C. First come, first serve for boarding group. IIRC, you get your group assignment when you get your boarding pass. If this is the case, hit the computer at 23.5 hours before your flight.
-
-
OK you world travelers....what did I mess up?

#41405 02/08/07 03:05 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I recently went through St. Louis and San Francisco airports.

Here's a link I studied before going.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Try to minimize what you carry on and just plan on taking off your belt and shoes. Don't try to take any liquid drinks with you (we each had bottles of water that we forgot and went to the trash). Take computers and electronics out of carrying case. Don't take your favorite pocket knife and etc. (I'm a knife fan so had to check my pockets multiple times to make sure I hadn't brought any).

It was my first commercial flight. Everyone was pleasant and the security precautions weren't that big a deal. We did everything online and that is the way to do it.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
#41406 02/08/07 10:23 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
If you travel and the person next to you won't shut up and you have your laptop, just click on this link....but I wouldn't do it going through security...... http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf

#41407 02/09/07 07:50 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Theo, to check the No Fly list:

1. Tell them you know me.

2. Make sure that they know that you are a taxpayer and that they work for you.

3. Carry the book "Arabic for Dummies".

4. Tell them not to mess with your well worn prayer rug.

That oughta do it. You'll qualify for what they consider special consideration.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
I think I killed all my fish
by Tinylake - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023