Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (JoshMI, FishinRod, Drago, Jason D, Sunil, Boondoggle, highflyer, Shorthose, anthropic, canyoncreek, Dave Davidson1, esshup), 1,175 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41137 08/29/06 12:01 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello. I am new to all this but this seems like the site where I can get some help.

We are about make an offer on a property in Ulster County (NY State). When the real estate agent saw the property in the spring, there was about a 1 acre pond on it. He showed us the property last week and it shrunk to a tiny pond (or maybe a really large puddle). We want to make an offer on this property but I need to first understand that the pond can be restored.

The property sits at the base of a mountain but there doesn't look like there is any run-off from the mtn into the pond. The area where the pond was is very springy and soft (maybe it's wet underneath) and covered with plants. We want to restore this pond and haven't got clue how to go about it. My husband thinks we should have a well dug (a well has to be dug elsewhere on the property anyway so we can build a house.

My question: can you recommend any pond experts in the NY state area? My husband thinks by having a well dug, it will restore the pond but I'm concerned with the evaporation that occurred over the last few months.

Many thanks for any help, P.S. Great magazine - we plan on subscribing.

#41138 08/29/06 06:09 AM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Bob Lusk, the owner of Pond Boss has a long term consulting gig going in NY State. Get in touch with the PB office. If he can't do it, he can refer someone.

Unless there is no rain or the water is being diverted, it would appear that the water would have to run off the mtn. It might be so shallow that it just can't impound enough water to make it through summer or it could have a leaky bottom. Leaky or even dry ponds are usually more of a liability than an asset.

I would ask neighbors about the pond. Do any of them have ponds?

Due to the volume of water needed, wells are seldom viable answers to evaporation.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#41139 08/29/06 11:08 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Welcome to PB. IMO, Dave hit the nail on the head for the two most important points you need to consider to have a year round pond.

First, the substrate of your pond must contain clay soils (or an artificial liner) or it will leak. You need to find out what kind of soil you have. You may have to dig some test pits. You might also check your local county offices to see if they have soil maps for your area. The "dried up" pond area ground is probably springy and mushy due to years of organic matter accumulation, but what is underneath that?

Second, what is the topography of your property and surrounding region? In other words, what is your watershed? It does sound like the mountain plays an important role there, you should look at a large scale topo map of area (7.5 minute quad), and obtain an aereal photo to evaluate what kind of water supply you will get (how many acres in watershed and whether or not water is being diverted somewhere). Consider the average annual rainfall of your area against the average annual evaporation rate of your area, and you can guesstimate whether or not you'll need that well for supplemental water.

Final thoughts, it sounds like its an older structure that would benefit from a renovation. Depending on your objectives for the pond, the renovation could serve to muck out the sediment and organic matter build-up, strengthen structural elements like the dam and ability to hold water, and deepen the pond to support a viable fish population,

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Good Luck

GSF are people too!

#41140 08/29/06 04:31 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Pondie,

Depending on the depth of the pond, I would be cautious of a 1 acre pond that is now only a puddle. Being an Ulster County resident, both my ponds dropped 8-10" inches this summer. With the recent rains, both ponds are back to normal levels.

For pond consultants, Scott Trava is a PB member who may be able to address your questions. Haven't seen him post in awhile but I'll try to find a link to his site.

Try this link to Scott's site: http://frontiernet.net/~catpond/

#41141 08/29/06 08:26 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Scott Built my Pond. It is the one highlighted on his web site.

A friend of mine was looking at property near the Delaware River that sounds a lot like the property you are looking at. That pond was a disaster waiting to happen. It would have cost many thousands to fix and after Scott reviewed it he got my friend out of the contract. You really need a good Pond Inspection done. It is as important as a house inspection if not more.

If that pond is that low now I would be very concerned. My pond is about 1 1/2 acres and only lost about a foot in depth. It is now full and spilling water through the spill way as I would expectt most ponds in our area are after the rain we just had. Give Scott a call. He will give you the straight scoop.

#41142 08/29/06 08:47 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Scott Trava is excellent....

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts