Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#512992 10/21/19 07:26 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Is it me, or have the forums quieted a lot on the past two years?

Its not like everyone's ponds have dried up.

All of the forums I have been active on have slowed considerably, (Except for camera sites) and the only theory I have is YouTube. I hate the blasted service as it is a spiraling pit of time waste where you start with an objective of learning, and then wind up watching two hours of pet videos. I cannot YouTube at work, but I can certainly get on forums between tasks, so it is kind of depressing to see the forums get so slow.

Otherwise there is just so much good information buried in these forums that when searched properly, yields an answer without needing to post?

Anyhow, my pond is doing OK, and I finally have hope that my wife gets employed soon so I can purchase some SoilFloc and finally clog it up. Getting kind of tired of the half-flushed toilet bowl look as plants refuse to grow well in the high lime deposits on the rim.

S
S
"I finally have hope that my wife gets employed soon"
laugh laugh
Did it occour to you she might have other plans for that income??? laugh Good luck with that one!

I have been suggesting for years (to no avail) my wife get a good job and support me in the means I desire.

I have to admit, I have not been on PBF as much lately. And yes, it is because of Youtube. I have been researching diets for about 9 months now. The good news about that is I have lost close to 100 pounds of excess weight (at desired weight level now), got off 100 units of insulin a day and cut out about 5 prescription drugs (off all prescriptions), have almost no more back pain, got rid of all my knee pain (was anticipating knee surgery before the diet change), got rid of hand arthritis, lowered blood pressure, no longer need the little man pills, sex life improved a thousand percent (wife lost 60# too on the diet). Pretty much got my life back.

So I consider my Youtube time well spent.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
R
Yes it has been slow lately. I always looks on the recent posts. Somedays its the same post as the day before. It only shows the last 10 so that's pretty slow. Congrats on the weight lost @ABOY and GIRL.
I never consider it a diet just a new change in my eating. Diets are temporary. Getting off all your meds must fell damn good. Don't need the little man pills yet (only 43) but they do seem like they would be fun to try out.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: snrub
I have to admit, I have not been on PBF as much lately. And yes, it is because of Youtube. I have been researching diets for about 9 months now.

Wow, and all this time I thought I needed to get in shape by not being in front of YouTube!

That is very awesome news on your health! It is very rare that people will make the adjustments in their lifestyle to improve health to that degree. You will simply get a raise by not needing to spend all that money on healthcare. All the rest is a bonus! It gets pretty hard to not let yourself go the older you get too, it is easier to chill after work than go for a hike in the dark.

In my case on the Soilfloc, we spent the money I had set aside for it on a trip to Disney a few years ago. What a money pit! I got talked into using it, under the condition we will do it when my wife goes back to work full-time when my son was old enough to be home alone. It has taken a LOT longer than expected, and a lost decent part-time job to set us back a fair amount.

Honestly I would rather spend some money and get the driveway paved. It is my nemesis! We have been getting a lot more heavy rain events in the past few years, and it has been hell trying to keep up on the washouts. However, there are a lot of other projects that need doing first that my wife deems more important. Like painting our hallway which I refuse to do myself. Probably more nooks and crannies than a Roman cathedral.

A small farm tractor may magically appear if the pavement doesn't occur. ;-)

S
S
It is definitely a lifestyle change.

Put on 3 pounds a year and in 35 years there I was. Don't notice the change year to year. Sure notice it when it comes off.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I feel the forum traffic, in general, is reducing.

I think this may also be true for other hobby forums.

If you think about these hobby forums going to social media platforms, it kind of makes sense.

People are still communicating digitally, but the medium and methods are changing.

Heck, even Luskie is doing his Wednesday Night Live gig on.....facebook, not here!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Absolutely fantastic Snrub! Keep up the effort.

My problem is I've been loosing too much weight chasing the diabetes low carbs requirement. Seems all diabetic diets assume you are over weight already! There is nothing for us skinny folks. My doc told me I need to consume 2300 calories a day just to maintain my weight. I asked him how to do that without carbs and he said that a 7oz steak is 300 calories. So I said that means you think I should eat over 3 lbs of steak a day? What about my high cholesterol? He had no answer.

Anyway....I agree the forum has been slow. It seems it picks up some during the winter when folks are not so busy so we will see. I think Sunil nailed it. Forums may be on the way out as other social media platforms fill that roll....even Bob L. rarely participates in the forum. Hard not to notice some of the moderators have not posted for months or years. IMO Without diehard pros like Bill C that can provide sage advice on multiple topics, this forum would be in serious trouble.

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/21/19 09:51 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
J
Most forums I am on have slowed down some over the past few years. I think most of the younger people use FB and such instead. One forum, I have been on over 15 years. Some of the more active members have aged out or died. Many lose interest over time, and go to other pursuits.
Some get mad over moderation, and quit, as some have on here.

S
S
Bill D, John F., I couldn't agree more with your statements.
There's a personal aspect to the forum that you can't duplicate on FB.
I came here after finding some info in one of my bio books after researching some of Dave Willis's Stuff-Then I found Bill C. Why would a guy NOT post or read here? I appreciate the hell out of having this here. I kinda feel like I fit in here, nice to bounce an idea off of someone and get a response from another that has been in the same situation and appreciates the education as much as I do.
Just like with all things good, there are pioneers in this business and it seems the younger generations are less likely to follow in our footsteps so we see the more experienced folks slowly disappearing over time. Darn happy to have those here that are-now!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, it's slowed. I don't try to get a lot of info off YouTube or FaceBook. I prefer this because I get to talk things over with others with my interest. I've been here since it started. Don't remember when that was but found a black and white PB mag at the local USDA office. I subscribed and still do. That issue had a notice about the Forum that was coming. I found it soon after and subscribed. Cody and I are the only active ones left of that original group of 8 or 10. Remember those days Bill?

Without this site I wouldn't have figured out much and I enjoy kicking things around/chatting with others about my interests. Made a lot of friends here and quit killing as many fish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
OP Offline
L
I am just starting to feel a little old, relying on forums to get my education rather than being curled up on the couch delving into YouTube. I try to explain it to my kiddo, and he just doesn't understand what the value of a forum is.

If your thought becomes "Back in my day..." it is best just to drop it.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Well done snrub !!!

Many forums have slowed - agree with Sunil on the cause.

This Forum is different due to the people involved and its personal nature.

For me its the interaction.

I am tired of hearing the same question. "I want to do X but I don't wan to pay for it, and I want to be able to blame someone else when it doesn't work."

For me, this is a place to share ideas and results. I try to not hide the process. I like trying and if I fail, well then so be it. Learn form my mistake. If you have a better way, try it, share it, or stop complaining.

We have lost that fire and that is why I have stopped posting as much.

When I finally catch the ten pound LMB in my pond, I'll post the pictures and talk about how we gave it the opportunity to grow that large in our pond.

Rant over, for now.

John, Great news!! What an inspiration.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
P
P
It has slowed down and that is a great shame.... Brian you are right, it is about the interaction between all of us pond nurts. There is some great minds around here that you can rely on. Some are even good friends. Let’s get this thing back running again!

C
C
My personal observation is that there has been a great deal of 'brain drain' due to personal squabbles, turf battles, power struggles, and one-upmanship.

The reason the forum did so well back in 2013 and prior was because a group of very talented and experienced people were regular contributors. After this, the best and brightest were forcibly removed publicly, or asked to leave, or were 'phased out'. (not to say there are none left who are not amazingly talented and contributing)

When the innovators and the successful ones left, the forum lost a lot. Those individuals were replaced by new ones (like myself) who can never replace those individuals in knowledge or experience.

Like highflyer said, the forum has much of the same question and answers over and over as new members come. This if fine, but if the forum is to thrive, then pondmeisters with a medium amount of knowledge need someone to challenge them to bring it to the next level. Or if they want to do something unorthodox, they need someone else to come along side who might have done that before to help encourage or point out where things might go wrong.

Several who have willingly signed off have done so because of this exact issue. They feel that they can contribute to new comers (they can tell them how to stock their new pond in XX state) but no one can help them grow their knowledge or advise on a new solution to their unique problem. So they aren't upset about leaving, but just wish the forum could continue to grow with their growing knowledge base.

I'm not trying to be critical, but I think each of us could come up with a dozen names of the real contributers to this forum who have been asked or have chosen to leave.

I think we should ask the question of how do we remake this forum that would allow them to feel welcome again? Is there no second chances or amnesty in the pondboss world?

Looking forward to getting to a feeling that we are at a family reunion that still has ALL the generations of the family clan coming together rather than only the younger ones coming for the free food.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 10/22/19 12:43 PM.
D
D
Personally, I would like to thank all you pond veterans. I purchased my 2.5 acres pond last fall and would have been lost without this forum. It had always been a dream to own my own pond but had no idea how much was involved. I am new here but I am guessing things might have slowed down with so much information (old posts) available for review. I would be asking tons of questions but do my best to review old posts before sounding like an idiot. Knock on Wood, I haven't come across too many issues that haven't already been discussed and answered. From me to you, thank you all so much!

2.5 acres with LMB, RES, BG and CC
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I second the thanks to all of the experts that are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. I also really like the experiments folks run and then share whether successful or not. I must admit that I find the interactive forum environment enjoyable. My first 2 ponds followed the advice of experts here and have been a great success. My 3rd pond will be experimental but still be based on principles taught here. I will eventually share my experience with this experiment here as well. Having a friend pull a 6.4 lb LMB out of my first pond a few weeks ago, and a neighbor catch 16 recruited SMB out of my second pond in the last couple weeks (1 over 16") really is satisfying!

R
R
I wanta piggyback on the thanks to the crafty experts on here. Also thank you to all the posters. This site has got my wheels turning faster than my wife appreciates.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
P
P
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
My personal observation is that there has been a great deal of 'brain drain' due to personal squabbles, turf battles, power struggles, and one-upmanship.

The reason the forum did so well back in 2013 and prior was because a group of very talented and experienced people were regular contributors. After this, the best and brightest were forcibly removed publicly, or asked to leave, or were 'phased out'. (not to say there are none left who are not amazingly talented and contributing)

When the innovators and the successful ones left, the forum lost a lot. Those individuals were replaced by new ones (like myself) who can never replace those individuals in knowledge or experience.

Like highflyer said, the forum has much of the same question and answers over and over as new members come. This if fine, but if the forum is to thrive, then pondmeisters with a medium amount of knowledge need someone to challenge them to bring it to the next level. Or if they want to do something unorthodox, they need someone else to come along side who might have done that before to help encourage or point out where things might go wrong.

Several who have willingly signed off have done so because of this exact issue. They feel that they can contribute to new comers (they can tell them how to stock their new pond in XX state) but no one can help them grow their knowledge or advise on a new solution to their unique problem. So they aren't upset about leaving, but just wish the forum could continue to grow with their growing knowledge base.

I'm not trying to be critical, but I think each of us could come up with a dozen names of the real contributers to this forum who have been asked or have chosen to leave.

I think we should ask the question of how do we remake this forum that would allow them to feel welcome again? Is there no second chances or amnesty in the pondboss world?

Looking forward to getting to a feeling that we are at a family reunion that still has ALL the generations of the family clan coming together rather than only the younger ones coming for the free food.

Canyon did you ever hit the head on the nail.... I can think of a few that were asked to leave and a few that said this is b s@@@t and have given up.... its up to the remaining to re- patriot those back into the family

R
R
I guess im still a newbie. Never heard of anyone being asked to leave. Which im glad I don't like drama that's why I don't do social media at all. This forum is it.

P
P
Rusto you would not have liked it at all, was not a pretty moment. Not our finest hour but I’m hoping we can come back from it. There is always hope

Like others here, I too have a project running. My solar setup has been upgraded to 48V DC and Tilapitopia has been reborn. I have added a few more brood ponds that still need work before I can use them the way I would like. Also, I do not have a great place to host the pictures where I can easily tag them for this forum. I would love it if this forum could get a few upgrades like secure connections and a better place to upload multiple pictures for our threads.

I do know of a few that decided to leave. Others were asked to leave because of their positions and posts. This is a business and a family. At times, there are going to be squabbles, but its what passionate family members do. I agree as we age, we should be able to come back into the fold if maturity has been found on both sides.

Hope my old friends are doing well.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I just don't think the reduced forum activity is due to the handful of members who have been asked to leave, or left on their own due to not liking how conflicts between posters, or moderators and members (myself very much included) were handled.

But just so everyone clearly understands, all decisions to ask a member to leave were, and have always been, Lusk's decision. I want to say that Bob has asked less than (7) members to ever leave in the sixteen years I've been here. As moderators, of course, we had input.

We probably do need to upgrade things around here to keep up with 'forum' technology, regardless of our opinions on why there may be reduced traffic. That costs money to Pond Boss.

If you love the place so much, can't you financially support it? Some people donate only $5.00. We even had one person who gave $1.00. I easily noted many of the members with opinions on this thread have not given any support. Why not???

Also, subscribe to the magazine.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Thanks for your post, Sunil. I've subscribed to the magazine the whole time I've been on here. You just prompted me to Donate to the Forum.
Good job. Or as they say these days, Good on You.

And I hadn't even offered up an opinion on this thread. Ha!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thank you! Both the magazine subscriptions and the donations make a difference.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump