Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261), 726 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Question about how many gallons of water this system can move? I have read how important it is to cycle your pond at least once a day. I am not sure if my current system is achieving this goal.

We have a 2.5 acre pond in Central Iowa. The maximum depth is 12 feet and I would guess the overall average depth at 9 feet. When we purchased the land last fall, the pond already had windmill aeration with 1 Double Disc Diffuser. I am unsure of the brand or system output. After reading about the importance of aeration, I purchased a Solar Aeration System this spring to have in addition to the windmill. We purchased a Solar 5 AerMaster Direct Drive Aeration System, since we have no power onsite. The system has two Direct Drive Solar Compressors rated at a combined 5.6 CFM. It also has 4 Low PSI Optimal Double Air Disc Diffusers.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how many gallons of water my solar unit would cycle at 5.6 CFM? Two of the diffusers are placed at 12 feet and the other 2 are at 10 feet. I am not looking for anything exact, just wondering if I am even close to cycling my pond given perfectly sunny conditions.

Thank you in advance for the assistance!

2.5 acres with LMB, RES, BG and CC
David,
The real answer is "it depends." The type of diffuser and the depth govern the air lifting ability of the air. So if you have really small bubbles in a great pattern, like what vertex diffusers offer, you can move a lot of water. Vertex has a chart to show you how many gallons their diffusers move depending on depth. Also there is a range of output that works best. Too little air and you get no appreciable movement, too much air, and the bubble size degrades. So like most things, getting to the Goldilocks zone is very important.

With all that said, there is a simple way to check to see if you are mixing your water without knowing anything but the temperature. If the water temps are not nearly the same from top to bottom, you are not mixing your water completely. If the temps are nearly the same it is possible, but not assured, that you are mixing your water.

If you know the diffuser pattern and the manufacture lists the lifting rates at a given CFM and depth, you should be able to easily have your answer.

So for the WAG,

I would use 23 acre feet
the two diffusers at 12 feet
the four diffusers at 10 feet
and the windmill

With all that said, You are cycling you pond in.....

Somewhere between 12 and 19 hours of run time at rated output.

Your milage may very...

The real question is where did you buy your system and what did they say about its capability when you bought it? Did they size it for your pond? What were the advertised lifting rates? If you really want to know you should talk to the company that sold you the system.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you Brian! I spoke with the seller and it sounds like I am turning my water every 10 to 11 hours. This is for the solar only, so any output from the windmill cuts that number.

I appreciate your assistance! I now realize additional research is required when it comes to pond management. I think my excitement over pond ownership got the best of me.

2.5 acres with LMB, RES, BG and CC
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My experience is for a completely mixed pond the bottom temperature and top temperature should be within 3F. Less than 3F more toward 0F difference means more complete mixing and greater than 3F means less complete mixing per day.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass