So, I have been able to gain sole permission on an old (at least 75yrs) sand pit in nebraska. Pond is 2 acres, max depth 13ft with average probably 6-8ft. Cattails surround 2/3 of the edge. I know this pond had very stunted gills and few 3-5lb bass about 5yrs ago. Last summer when i gained permission i put out 4 clover traps for about a month and all i caught were about 14 green sunfish in the traps. I did catch about 6 common carp in the 2lb range which stinks but inevitable in this area. So, I took the approach of this pit had a major fish kill due to the fact i was not catching any gills in my traps nor did i see any of them in shallows or bass. Here is what i have done so far.
Fall of 2018:
200 perch 4-6in
75 walleye 5-7in
75 crappie 3-4in
15 crappie 9-10in
200 redear 2-3in
150 bluegill 1-3in
25 bluegill 6-9in
10 largemouth 3-4in

Spring 2019:
5,000 minnows or roughly 15lbs (there were already plenty of minnows in the pit)
17 grass carp 10in
200 hybrid gills 2-4in

Plans for fall of 2019
75 wiper (hybrid striped bass)3-5in
75 4-6in perch

I plan to setup my feeder and feed Optima Bluegill daily during feeding months.

My goal is to have a little bonus place to fish for me and my kid and prefer perch, which is why I'm trying to avoid largemouth and wish i wouldn't have put in the 10 last fall that i trapped and thought, what the heck, throw em in. Ugh. Other than the crappie situation which i know i will get hammered on I'd sure appreciate some thoughts about keeping this mostly for perch and avoiding largemouth. I'm sure the first comment will be i will constantly battle this pond by having crappie and not have LMB to predate them. There is a chance I will only have permission to fish this for the next 5yrs or so as the guy is old that owns it and his kids will probably sell and i will lose permission. It has kind of just been my little trial and error project and looking forward to catching some fish from it. So, hit me with thoughts! Thank you all!

Last edited by jwetovick; 05/14/19 11:13 AM.