Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,006 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I saw where a couple of guys here were talking of which way to go when shopping for a vehicle to have around for work and or pleasure. I know many of us here have these and might pass along what our experiences are with them. Hay, Christmas is coming up, maybe Santa will drop one down the chimney. smile

For me I have had two different Polaris rangers at my place, an 800 and a 900 ranger. The 800 would overheat in the summer here in Texas. And that lead me to the 900 ranger. I have not had an overheating event since I got the 900. I like the ride it has over the 800 and for the most part I have been pretty happy with it. But I have to say either that I am hard on equipment or it has it's weakness because it seems to run me a thousand or two each and every year for repairs and or upkeep. My son recently has picked up the Honda UTV (think it is the 600 model). Its too early to make much comment other than it's ride is a lot rougher than the Polaris 900.

I looked at the John deer gator but the dealer told me that if I had water around the property to stay away from it due to air intake location and because of a hole located in the rear end that would take water and shut down everything till it dried out. I was surprised to hear a dealer tell me all that. Maybe the gator has changed all that since I had the discussion.

I also looked at the electric off road UTV's but after the comments made to me about water on the property I thought maybe electric was not the way to go, for me. So maybe others might join in and tell their experiences.

Hope this helps out you guys on your decision what vehicle to purchase for around the pond.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
For me, the cost of these toys simply is not in line with their capabilities. Instead, we bought a Jeep Rubicon back in 2009. We use it all around the property and then use it on the road as one would a car or truck. It is not as maneuverable as the smaller ATVs and UTVs, but it comes standard with a cab, heat, and AC. It is very capable off-road.

I would love to have a UTV or ATV, but I am willing to bet that the work that is typical for my place would still prompt me to get the old 8N tractor and small farm trailer out over a UTV. I would get the most use out of the modern vehicles when it comes to pleasure drives around the old 40 acre farm and occasional hunting.

And, as RAH mentions...The cost is nutty. If it came with a farm hand, I think I could justify that!

My neighbor has cattle and his UTV is invaluable, so I see the benefits, but my needs revolve around some fire wood, brush clearing, & rock relocating. UTV's would not do it like my old tractor and trailer.

Fish on!,
Noel
W
W
All I can speak to is my experience with Polaris Rangers. My Father in law had two of them. He first had a 2005 that we abused the hell out of. Kids flipped it over a couple times and hit several trees. We drug logs that were way too big and smoked the belt more than once. Never had a lick of trouble out of it. He sold the '05 and got a used 2010 for the fuel injection benefits at altitude. We, mostly all the grand kids, beat the snot out of that one too. It had to have a couple belts and some sensor replaced, can't recall which one. We still have that machine and it has just now developed some issue with the front diff. Gonna have to tear into it next Summer.
We now have a 900XP that I have not let everyone beat on. So far no complaints at all.
We have taken all the machines over all the major CO mountain passes up to 12,000'+. We load everyone up in them and go all over the place, fishing, etc. The kids absolutely love them. In fact our two oldest daughters drove them for years before they turned 16 and they both immediately felt comfortable driving cars. When all their friends were learning to drive our girls had been driving for years!

Of course there is the sticker price. I 100% agree these side by sides have gotten ridiculously expensive. We have just always bought nice slightly used machines and paid far less than sticker. These guys that will go out and spend $20k on a toy are usually the same guys that want a NEWER one in 18 months. With that being said the sticker price of a brand new Ranger EV is only $11k. I see used ones all the time for $5k. Worst possible scenario with a used EV Ranger is buying a new set of lead acid batteries for it. The people that have battery issues are using/charging incorrectly IMO.

Also IMHO the "buggy based" SXSs aren't nearly as capable, in any aspect, as the Ranger EV.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
K
K
I have a 2015 Honda Foreman 500 Utility ATV that I use to get around my 50+ acres of land. There are hills, deep mud, fallen trees, creeks to cross, lots of water... It does everything I need it to do..... Now there are times when I wish I had the additional space of a UTV / side by side with a small dump bed. For instance, I can't fit the 85lb. Golden Retriever on the ATV so I often keep him at home.. If I had a UTV it would definitely come in handy for hauling the dog, passengers and fishing gear back to the pond... With that being said lets talk about the ATV and what it can do and why I have not yet found it necessary to buy a UTV.

- The ATV is easy to transport.. I can load it into the bed of the truck or pull it on a small trailer.

- I have equipped it with good accessories to make it useful.. These include a chainsaw carrier, winch, storage bags, a gun rack which doubles as a fishing rod holder or shovel holder, and a trailer hitch. When used by my pond I often carry a collapsible fishing rod so that I can ride through the woods without snagging every tree I pass.

- The ATV is more maneuverable and will fit through tighter areas.. some UTV's are narrow but typically, these are the type of UTV's that are used more for mostly sport riding and not as much utility.

- If I get stuck I can lift the ATV up and get freed up (usually).

- Sometimes it's just easier to jump on the ATV and ride away. This is quicker than sitting down and seat belting in a UTV. I have ran down trespassers very quickly by being able to jump on and take off. Almost like a modern day horse.

The price of name brand UTV's is still quite high.. I often think along the same lines as RAH with buying a used Jeep. If I were to buy any UTV, it would be the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. This is IMHO the best of the best.. looks good, fits people, cargo and has some punch for just fooling around in the mud. It also does not use a belt type drive which is more reliable for utility use.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
wbutterjr....have you ever experienced the "ride" on the Ranger EV?

are the "rides" on side x sides always going to a lot rougher than a regular ATV?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
S
Go to dealers and ride some.

For me with a bad back ride was very important. I used a Kawasaki mule for years doing soil samples, picking up rocks and all sorts of field work. They are tough as nails and excellent machines. They will beat you to death on rough ground.

When I went to buy a personal machine for recreation more than hard work and as I have gotten quite a few years older and the bumps do me in a lot quicker than they used to I ended up with a Polaris Ranger 900. In fact I am on my second one. The first one got handed down to the farm hands and they use it now. I think there are probably lots of other machines out there just as good, the Polaris just happened to have the qualities I wanted and a good dealer near by.

The things I particularly liked about it. It was quiet and lots less vibration compared to an older Yamaha Rhino 660 that we also have on the farm (but in defense of the Rhino it is a lot older and smaller - it has been and still is a good machine despite being very old). The side by sides that have the engine mounted further forward between the driver and passenger can be quite a bit louder and not as smooth as the ones with the engine mounted behind the driver further back. It has power steering. Before purchasing my wife and I drove several other models and brands. I was really set on a smaller machine because for my use I did not need a 900. But one drive and between me liking it being smoother (less vibration)and my wife saying "this one" as soon as she drove the one with electric power steering there was no going back. So much for not spending so much money on a toy. Even though she drives is maybe 5% of what I do, I still have come to appreciate the power steering and would not buy another one without it. It is just nice, and hey, I can't take it with me so might as well enjoy it while I still can. The Polaris 900 also rides very nice. Much better than my older Rhino. That may not mean much to some, but to me with my back condition a rough ride is a deal breaker. I already get beat up enough on my small tractor. Don't need it on the UTV also.

I own at lest 40 Diesel machines and trucks on the farm. But for me my pickups, cars and utility vehicles are gasoline. I just like it better. Personal preference. Others will disagree.

If there is one thing that is less than perfect on the Polaris 900 it is cold weather starting. It is not bad, but not good as it could be. I think the emissions are weaned back so much that it simply does not get enough gas when it gets down to about 15 degrees. Cycling the key switch two or three times will help. Don't try to crank the engine before the 3 second computer boot up after the key is switched on. My personal solution to this problem is get on an airplane and go south for the winter.

That is my experience with the Polaris Ranger XP900. I don't promote it to be the best machine in the world because I have not owned or tried lots of others. But my experience with this particular model has been very good, both times. I'll probably buy another one in another year or two and pass the current one down to the farm again (3-4 years of age).

The darn things are as expensive as a small car. Seems ridiculous. On the other hand I put more hours per year on my UTV than my tractors or pickup. I use it more than anything else on the farm. So I figure it is worth it. Rarely a day goes by that we are home that it does not get started and ran.

I take the side screens off as soon as it gets home. They are a PIA. If I had small kids or reckless drivers I would rethink that, but I drive like a grandma (I like things to last for many years) so am not worried about falling out. I am not hard on nor abuse the machine in any way. So I can't really advise on the reliability it might have run under more demanding conditions.

Last edited by snrub; 11/26/18 02:59 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: snrub

Oh I did that...but driving around in a dealer parking lot and on the dealer's lawn didn't tell me much....but it did seem like a better ride than the golf cart when I jumped a curb with it just to see how it would feel.

Just today I found one on Craigslist and the guy lives on the edge of some woods....so I hope to go see his and give it a real test drive.

Thanks for all the great feedback snrub!

G
G
Having worked on many construction sites over the years, I've learned to appreciate the durability and other advantages of using a regular pick-up truck rather than a glorified golf cart.

I can however, understand the appeal of cruising around the farm in a silent running electric ATV/UTV ... I certainly wouldn't want to huff diesel exhaust while carting about.

W
W
Originally Posted By: Zep
wbutterjr....have you ever experienced the "ride" on the Ranger EV?

are the "rides" on side x sides always going to a lot rougher than a regular ATV?

Zep - The great thing about the Ranger EV is it is the standard Ranger chassis and power train. A proven system just electric instead of gas.

As far as ride goes I think it is just the opposite. I would venture to say almost every UTV probably has a better ride than almost every ATV. Just the nature of the beast.
IMO I would say the Polaris has the best ride of all the SxSs out there. You will find that sentiment over and over in the ATV forums. There may be something new that has surpassed it since I last looked, but the Ranger also usually leads in payload, towing, etc as well.

This may not mean anything at all but when we go over Engineer Pass, right by your brother's old cabin, there are people from all over the country there as you well know. Out of every 15 machines you see up there I bet 12-14 of them are Polaris something.

P
P
Go take a test drive in a kubota diesel ... a little noisy but durable and out rides everything that I’ve seen

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
Zep - The great thing about the Ranger EV is it is the standard Ranger chassis and power train. A proven system just electric instead of gas. As far as ride goes I think it is just the opposite. I would venture to say almost every UTV probably has a better ride than almost every ATV. Just the nature of the beast.

Thanks for this info wbuffetjr. Good interesting stuff. Love the chassis powertrain part. I have great respect for the Polaris brand...gotta be one of the best. Like you say Engineer Pass is crawling with them.

But ya know reading these posts it's pretty clear that each user has their own particular needs for these type machines. My primary use will be to get me, the wife, the dog, and maybe two guests very quietly back in the woods in one "vehicle". Passengers like elderly, or small kids that we want to take on rides thru the paths in the woods that normally will not be able to experience the deep woods. For what I want....an old truck or jeep just doesn't really work.

So while I really like the Ranger EV and the Intimatdor EV...I dont think either one of them make a back part that has the fold down seats that enables 4 people to ride like the Textron. The sales director at Intimidator told me today the larger side x side they make does not come in electric. Also he said the electric Intimidator does not come with power steering like their other UTV's.

So I need to decide how important getting 4 people together on a joy ride is to me. If I can live with basically 2 seats...the Polaris or Intimidator may work. BTW have you seen the seats on the Intimidator?

S
S
Originally Posted By: gully washer
Having worked on many construction sites over the years, I've learned to appreciate the durability and other advantages of using a regular pick-up truck rather than a glorified golf cart.

I can however, understand the appeal of cruising around the farm in a silent running electric ATV/UTV ... I certainly wouldn't want to huff diesel exhaust while carting about.

LOL It's all a matter of perspective and needs. I feel the exact same way about pickup trucks compared to a real truck. Pickup trucks are just glorified cars. We mostly haul grease guns in pickup trucks. We go get a real truck when we want to haul something.

For the cost the UTV are just outrageous for what you get. But I would not think of using a pickup truck for what I use my UTV for. All a matter of needs and perspective.

Last edited by snrub; 11/26/18 10:13 PM.

John

S
S
Originally Posted By: Zep

Oh I did that...but driving around in a dealer parking lot and on the dealer's lawn didn't tell me much....but it did seem like a better ride than the golf cart when I jumped a curb with it just to see how it would feel.

Just today I found one on Craigslist and the guy lives on the edge of some woods....so I hope to go see his and give it a real test drive.

Thanks for all the great feedback snrub!

If you buy an older one be sure to inspect the plastic air cleaner box. Our first one was first year production and after several years the plastic air box that holds the air filter warped. That is the only thing we have replaced on it (other than routine filters and oil and tires) that I recall. Fortunately we caught it before it did any damage by letting dirt into the engine but the mechanic at the dealer said he had heard of some getting the engines dusted because of it. The new box was updated to fix the problem as were later production years.

As I recall the XP models have a little fancier aluminum wheels with slightly wider tires, little nicer seating and probably a few other gingerbread niceties. Otherwise same basic machines. Both of ours are XP900's

Last edited by snrub; 11/26/18 10:14 PM.

John

W
W
Zep - last thing I will mention. With the bench seat in the Ranger you can easily fit three adults or one adult and three kids. I had myself and two other hunters in ours quite a bit every September. So it's not just two people. I bet any of the machines with a bench will be the same. The bench seat has a middle seat belt. We have an old CJ-7 back seat that we ratchet strap down in the bed facing backwards. We usually put at least a couple kids in that way too and end up seating 5 or 6. The jeep seat usually stays strapped in all Summer unless we have to haul something. I agree with Snrub 100% on power steering. I wouldn't get another machine without it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a couple of Honda atv’s and they’re ok for riding around on. However, for hauling wood, deer, etc. I use my John Deere with 4wd and loader bucket

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
K
I have nothing against Polaris, but I can say that I do have a few buddies that have Polaris products and I have to say they do not seem like the most reliable option. The Rzr seems to be Polaris' bread and butter but it's a more of a toy. If you are looking for a means to get passengers back into the woods comfortable there are so many other options for UTV's out there that I would be more inclined to look at before jumping to Polaris. If you do not like the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (which is perfect for hauling passengers, work and play) then Kawasaki Mule is a good option too with plenty of seating. I would also consider Yamaha UTV line. I've found that most rental companies that offer UTV tours default to Honda for the reliability. I would strongly recommend researching and exploring all of the options on a purchase this large.

P
P
Around here Polaris breaks down a lot. Does any body know if bad boy buggies still in business... 4 wheel drive electric buggies.?

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have to say the Polaris 900 xp has the best ride and is has been pretty reliable. I have to agree with snrub, pretty much everything he said about the ranger 900xp. And the mule is rougher ridding and tougher steering and louder than the 900xp but it might be a tougher machine. I have driven one several times in the woods and around hunting leases. When comparing the two against each other, I think most will pick the ranger. As far as jeeps we also have a Rubicon but it's nicer and no way are we taking it to the woods at my place. It would be so scratched up, no way it's going to the woods at my place. We also had the jeep pickup (older model) and the cost to keep it up was ridicules. It was and is a jeep that is in demand in the jeep market. Sold it for more than we paid for it. When it comes to jeeps, I would like to have another jeep for the farm but after owning a couple of them, I think the yearly upkeep, replacement parts etc are about equal with Polaris 900. We have used our side by sides and jeeps as farm work vehicles and they are driven most everyday. Like said in earlier post, my power steering problem left me in the woods while cutting firewood.

Pat, after owning several diesel vehicles from 2004 to 2015 in my business where we put a lot of miles on them yearly I now no longer buy them and steer away from them. We went back to gasoline and cng vehicles. I looked at the Kubota till I found out it was diesel. It is good looking if u like orange lol. Just kidding, I own a Kubota tractor/front end loader.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/27/18 09:03 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
J
Back in 2016 when we had the big flood around here, I discovered that my UTV's belt drive CV transmission would slip when it got wet/submerged so at that point it became useless. After that, I bought a Kubota RTV-X1140 and I have yet to find anything it can't do. It has a true hydraulic transmission that won't slip when wet, has the best and easiest 4 wheel drive I've ever used, and it rides like a dream. It is a little louder than a comparable gas model, and it only does about 20 mph wide open, but for my needs, it's absolutely perfect. The 3 cylinder Kubota engine is also pretty much bullet proof and should last a very long time. I couldn't be happier with it.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
If you buy an older one be sure to inspect the plastic air cleaner box.

Will do snrub...because of the batteries I am trying to get a newer one. The used one on Craigslist is a 2018. Would an electric UTV even have a "plastic air cleaner box"? I dunno?

Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
Zep - last thing I will mention. With the bench seat in the Ranger you can easily fit three adults or one adult and three kids.We have an old CJ-7 back seat that we ratchet strap down in the bed facing backwards. We usually put at least a couple kids in that way too and end up seating 5 or 6.

wbuffetjr....I wondered about that...if I could add seating to the rear box just when needed that might work. Sounds like it works for you.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I have a couple of Honda atv’s and they’re ok for riding around on.

Dave I love my Honda atv's I inherited from my brother. Those things will go and go forever.

Originally Posted By: KRM1985
If you are looking for a means to get passengers back into the woods comfortable there are so many other options for UTV's out there that I would be more inclined to look at before jumping to Polaris. If you do not like the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (which is perfect for hauling passengers, work and play) then Kawasaki Mule is a good option too with plenty of seating. I would also consider Yamaha UTV line. I've found that most rental companies that offer UTV tours default to Honda for the reliability. I would strongly recommend researching and exploring all of the options on a purchase this large.

Thanks KRM....I've always been a fan of "anything Honda". Being in the delivery business over 30 years....I hate to say it because I like to "buy American", but the delivery drivers that drive Toyotas and Honda's are almost never out with car repairs. However I wonder if any of the brands you mentioned as maybe being a better choice than Polaris offer an electric model UTV? I am really wanting electric for stealth reasons and because what I will use it for....electric has plenty of power and I only ride for maybe an hour max and then give it a rest...so I wont need hours and hours of power that a gas motor can provide.

P
P
That’s what we have and have had the same results...... they ride great! And the dump bed is helpful also

C
C
Check out the Huntve lineup:

HuntVE lineup

Also there WAS (or is?) a small company in south texas that advertises a line of electric UTVs. Not much to see on their web page but you may want to inquire, especially those already in the deep south already!

South Texas UTVs

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
That’s what we have

what brand?

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Up until 2008 I had Honda ATVs. Then some thief ran off with two of them. I replaced them with a 2008 Polaris Ranger and have been very happy with it. Its had a rough life in the mud and water. I have backed off on the real bad treatment such as driving it 1/4 mile out in knee deep water. Its been hydro-locked once when it got too deep, but never been back to the dealer as I am capable of doing repairs myself.

I am in a large duck club with lots of levees, swampland, brush and trails. I also have my own 120 acre place with my new 2 acre pond. I expect to always have a UTV as much of the time I'd be cutting ruts trying to drive a regular vehicle around. Probably stay Polaris Ranger for the next one, but may also look at a Can Am. If I ever retire to my place I may add an electric golf cart type unit just to slip out to the deer stand quietly.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday