Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
21 members (e_stallman, FishinRod, esshup, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 696 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hell no Bill, keeps all the young tight bodies away. They are too much maintenance and don't buy me things.
Blueies are trueies plus they keep forgetting. Ahhhh, life is grand in the sand!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
B
B
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: basslover
Biggest mistake? Lettin' this guy have access to the land ...

JUST KIDDING!!!! This guy is welcome any time! And probably one of the best things about PBF for us. I mean, heck, it took us both alternating back and forth to hand saw through that pain of a fallen tree! wink

Biggest mistake? Not stocking correctly the first go around, and paying for it with grow out ponds and expensive food.

Followed by not bringing a chainsaw! grin

HA! Chainsaw? What's that? Who needs noisy chainsaws when Rainman is around to help hand saw?!?!?! wink

Handsaws are great - super quiet, less mess, and a nice workout. Rex and I actually had a little bit of work getting through this one though.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Rex has had more trees jump in front of his fish truck than anyone I know.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
B
Originally Posted By: Sunil

Almost like there is a Spirit saying "Don't let him near your pond. Danger! Danger!"

wink

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

JUST KIDDING!!!! This guy is welcome any time! And probably one of the best things about PBF for us. I mean, heck, it took us both alternating back and forth to hand saw through that pain of a fallen tree! wink

Biggest mistake? Not stocking correctly the first go around, and paying for it with grow out ponds and expensive food.

HA! Chainsaw? What's that? Who needs noisy chainsaws when Rainman is around to help hand saw?!?!?! wink

Handsaws are great - super quiet, less mess, and a nice workout. Rex and I actually had a little bit of work getting through this one though.

I recall I broke a rib when the trunk suddenly shifted off the stump and I landed on another log after a 4 foot drop...lol Still, it was worth it to see such a gorgeous pond and setting!

Last edited by Rainman; 03/21/17 01:38 PM.

Originally Posted By: Rainman

I recall I broke a rib when the trunk suddenly shifted off the stump and I landed on another log after a 4 foot drop...lol Still, it was worth it to see such a gorgeous pond and setting!

Rex, after seeing the downed trees you drove over at my place, I can't believe you didn't just drive right over that log. Just would have needed a bit of a running start.

My biggest mistake was being too nice to my neighbor who was building my pond. I insisted he get a sheepsfoot roller, but it broke down during the final phase of the dam completion. I should have shut it down right then, until he got the roller fixed. He didn't believe in it, so he just kept on going. I've got the leak to prove it..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
B
B
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Yeah, I remember you walking around opposite of the side shown in the pic, and the darn leaf litter hiding the hole / drop down. And when the log shifted down you went, your rib cage broke your fall ... wink

What an adventure ...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One the advantages I gained from having Rex deliver fish to my pond was starting a relationship with a local wrecker service.......to haul his truck out.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
My biggest mistake was waiting so long to get grass growing around the pond. Next time I will focus on the grass and then on the fish.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Sunil

Only one...A Tennessee Walker, and I saw it again yesterday....it tried grabbing 300# of trout....Yolksac scared it back to standing still

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here I thought Rex was cutting it to use as an anchor for his winch!

My biggest mistake was not searching harder in this area for someone that wanted to trade sand for clay. Found him 3 years after the renovation was completed, and we both were building ponds at the same time. He had an excess of clay and needed sand, I had the opposite. Could have had full trucks going each way.

I completely agree with what Bob said. There is so much to know about a new pond that the new owners don't know enough to know what questions to ask.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Like a lot of folks, I have made my share of mistakes.
I am a "do it yourself" kind of guy, so I have made mistakes doing a lot of different things, and building a pond started a whole new list. For starters, I was told after I dug my pond for the first time, a half acre would cost so much, not sure how much, but lets say $5,000. So I built it myself, remember I said first time, and only spent about $7,000. Felt like it was too small, so I enlarged it, another $7,000. Now I got my wife to agree, we need to enlarge it again, and make it deeper, so I rented a bigger excavator, and a larger bulldozer. Not going to say how much this time, but I CAN say, I did it MYSELF, every dollars worth. Lesson 1, doing it yourself can get costly.
Then I planted trees so close to the shore, that I could not get my mower safely between the tree and the water. Lesson 2, plant anything close to the water far enough to give your mower at least two passes.
Thought I would raise some tilapia over one winter. Built a greenhouse out of plastic, bought some 300 gallon tanks, several pumps and aerators, and added 4 females and 2 males. Babies came in quick, had to add more aeration and pumps. Added 60 gallon electric water heater and 1000 watt lights to keep water and air warm, maybe too warm. Then electric bills started coming in. Normal for this time of year was about $300-$400 for property. Dec $900, Jan $1200, Feb $2500. Wife called and said I was going to have to sell my new boat. Me, the boat, and the tilapia made it to spring, but not by much. Lesson 3, visit Todd Overton in the spring for Tilapia, a lot cheaper then raising them myself, at least for now, or until she forgets how much I spent.
PS when the power goes out, and you have two tanks full of tilapia, you PANIC, especially when you are at work. Good reason for a big generator.
Loved every minute of it!!

Billy E
Cleveland Texas

"If you never do more then you get paid for, you will never get paid for more then you do." BE
1 member likes this: DannyMac
T
T
BillyE, my biggest mistakes are when I try to DIY. I am the worst handyman you might ever meet. I always tell my family, if I don't mess up, it means I am not doing anything.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My biggest mistakes have been hiring "professionals" to do what I can do myself but am not motivated to do. I have spent 10-fold redoing such contracted work compared with what it would have taken me to do it myself in the first place. That said, I have also had much better experiences with contracted work. I just seem to be a poor judge of contractors.

P
P
Originally Posted By: TGW1
BillyE, my biggest mistakes are when I try to DIY. I am the worst handyman you might ever meet. I always tell my family, if I don't mess up, it means I am not doing anything.

He he he Tracy I use that line myself

F
F
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Originally Posted By: TGW1

He he he Tracy I use that line myself

I'm like Red/Green. If women don't find ya handsome they better find ya handy. LMAO!

Last edited by farmallsc; 07/23/17 02:38 AM.

A
azteca Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello.

If you dig a pond, take someone with experience.

When I dug my first pond, it appeared a beautiful vein of water in the rock with lots of pressure, but the operator continued to work around the veine, we lost it completely.

After talking with a well driller, he told me that the operator should not have insisted and should have left the veine quiet, by working around he move some rocks (the machinery it's strong), and the water change the direction.

A+

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Using Photo Bucket to host my pictures... LMAO.... sorry just had to throw that in there...

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Here's a few...

I put 9 acres of stocking fish into a 17 plus acre pond. Probably should have had it measured before ordering fish...

Never put a big siphon in to start with. Did wind up putting 8" over the dam (below frost line) with valve at top and near bottom). That big valve at bottom was expensive, but it is wonderful to go there and turn it on without having to waste time priming, etc. Saves hauling pump other gear and hours.

Didnt leave enough soil mounded up over siphon trench so it did have valley where settled.

Relied upon spillway too much. Water going over spillway can allow trash fish in (think that may be how i got bullheads and green sunfish). I should have had a vertical drop so fish couldnt swim up water flow into pond. Also, even clay will eventually erode when enough water flows over it and under that clay can be bunch of sand!

Worried too much about having green sunfish and bullheads in pond. I wasted a lot of time and energy fretting about it.
I think it was probably Bill Cody who assurred me the LMB would eventually resolve the situation and he was right.

I didnt put structure in when it was built.

I havent maintained or managed the pond.

Been inconsistent with fish feeding.

And probably the worst thing of all...

I havent made time to really enjoy it nor have had other family members / trusted friends enjoy it.

Im sure there are more i'll think of after i hit submit.

Is there a thread for what we did right?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
IN MY SHORT TIME, MY BIGGEST MISTAKE IS NOT REMOVING ENOUGH FISH EACH YEAR. IM ALLERGIC TO FISH SO MY POND IS STRICTLY FOR GROWING TROPHIES BUT I HAVE YET TO HIT THE RIGHT REMOVAL NUMBERS TO GROW MY LMB TO THOSE STANDARDS. FOR SOME REASON MY BRAIN THINKS I SHOULD SPEND MONEY AND ADD FORAGE WHEN ALL I REALLY NEED TO DO IS GO FISHING!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump