Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,108
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, jbird5986, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27), 783 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
J
OP Offline
J
How many have disabled the seat interlock on their mowers or tractors? It's still in place on my current machines, but I have done it in the past. It's inconvenient to set brake, etc and get off just to throw a stick out of the way.

B
B
John all mine have been zip tied.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
K
K
I put a switch on the seat safety on my LS xr4046. I turn it off when I use the forks or grapple, but make sure it is turned on when I am using anything on the 3pt. It was a pain every time you stand up to see the FEL and it shuts off, but is a must for safety when you pull a mower. I have had my LS for a couple years now. It has been a great piece of equipment.
John

T
T
Originally Posted By: John F
How many have disabled the seat interlock on their mowers or tractors? It's still in place on my current machines, but I have done it in the past. It's inconvenient to set brake, etc and get off just to throw a stick out of the way.

I was working on my zero turn trying to diagnose a problem and had the seat switched bypassed. Ran it that way for a little while before hooking it back up. Later while mowing around the pond it got wanky on me and went in to the pond throwing me off the seat and rolling the mower deck over my foot. I am real glad I had reconnected that switch as it died before trimming my toenails.

Normally I am very intolerant of bs "safety switches" but the seat switch is one I won't be disconnecting again.

My tractor doesn't have one.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sure did - Sometimes I stand while mowing.

B
B
I did leave the one working my zero turn mower.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My zero-turn did not come with a seat. It does have safeties on the handles.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I will bite my tongue when it comes to commenting on disconnecting safety switches. I've seen what can happen when things go wrong on the mower.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I leave all mine intact because there are employees that occasionally use my personal stuff. If one of them got hurt because I had bypassed a safety device it would be my butt in a sling.

But the seat one on my JD 3038E is sure a pain in the rear when I use the fork lift attachment. I tolerate it on all other operations ok, but with the fork lift the tines are in just the right position when I am picking up a pallet I have to raise up off the seat about 3 inches to see the end to the forks to get them to enter the pallet. Of course the engine dies instantly. That is one operation that makes me want to wire in a bypass switch so I can at least bypass it while doing that operation.

Got my new grapple in a while back and got it plumbed up to my tractor and loader. I saw Essup had a grapple on his loader bucket he had posted a long time ago and I have wanted one ever since. This is kind of a light built one but will serve my purposes just fine. It will fit my JD3038E (which it is more than heavy built enough) and has the lower set of quick tach pins so it will also fit my JD5083E tractor loader. I will have to be a little careful with it on the larger tractor but I have no problem doing that. The stuff on the farm that goes out and actually makes a living I have to be sure it will stand up to some abuse. Since I will be the only one using this, I tend to have a little better judgement about what something can take than some of my operators. As soon as it quits raining I have some tree trimming brush to move with it and will come back and edit this post and add some more pictures of it working.

Attached Images
IMGA2092.JPG IMGA2093.JPG IMGA2094.JPG IMGA2119.JPG IMGA2121.JPG IMGA2123.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 04/07/17 12:01 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I will bite my tongue when it comes to commenting on disconnecting safety switches.

You'd probably hate the gas cans I buy!

e-Bay PRE BAN gas cans

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
S
Local Home Depot had about a dozen of the pre 2 gallon jugs out on a sale pallet the month before they would be banned for selling them (maybe a couple years ago) for I think it was two bucks each. I bought all of them. grin

Last edited by snrub; 04/02/17 02:25 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
F
F
Originally Posted By: snrub
Local Home Depot had about a dozen of the pre 2 gallon jugs out on a sale pallet the month before they would be banned for selling them (maybe a couple years ago) for I think it was two bucks each. I bought all of them. grin

I didn't hear about a ban. Why were they banned? We still have metal gas cans we've had on the farm for ages. I hate plastic with a purple passion.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I will bite my tongue when it comes to commenting on disconnecting safety switches.

You'd probably hate the gas cans I buy!

e-Bay PRE BAN gas cans

Nope, I've never visited anyone in the hospital whose toes were cut off by an emissions compliant gas can.

I can't say that about a disconnected seat switch on a lawnmower though.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: farmallsc

I didn't hear about a ban. Why were they banned? We still have metal gas cans we've had on the farm for ages. I hate plastic with a purple passion.

The EPA over reach committee thought a vented can polluted too much by releasing fumes to the atmosphere when in use. (when not in use they would seal, provided you tightened or snapped on the vent). I have seen aftermarket spouts and vents for sale to make the new containers usable. I bought one because I had an expensive plastic can with a split cap.

The metal cans we used to have would develop rust inside after a few years, and the gas, if not filtered, would stop up the fuel filter or carb jets.

On the tractor seat interlock, the only time my new LS tractor will shut off if I rise up off the seat is when the PTO is engaged.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have a mommy and don't need another one appointed by our nanny state. Sorry to be so direct, but without natural selection, we de-evolve. That is just the logical conclusion. Correct me if I have this wrong.

One of governments primary jobs is protecting us, the people. The problem is, they are not very good at their job.

Some safety devices are great, others are not. Its like mandated ethanol and DEF, the intention is good, the implementation, well....

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I believe the primary job of the government should be to protect us from other people, not ourselves. People should not be protected from their own stupidity. We should have the right to be stupid as long as it does not hurt others.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: farmallsc
I didn't hear about a ban. Why were they banned?

J
OP Offline
J
Take the cap completely off and use a big funnel to put gas in your mower or whatever.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: RAH
I have a mommy and don't need another one appointed by our nanny state. Sorry to be so direct, but without natural selection, we de-evolve. That is just the logical conclusion. Correct me if I have this wrong.

You don't have it wrong, per se, you just haven't thought it through. Many think the same as you however, and see the implementation of safety devices as excessive governmental infringement into their personal affairs. I see that, but in many, probably most cases actually, those safety devices were not just to protect you, but others as well.

When I was 10 years old, my mother's best friend from her school days had an 8 year old daughter who bas backed over by her Grandfather while he was mowing the yard. She survived, but lost one leg. He was absolutely devastated. If you had asked him way back then, what he thought of the future (decades later) implementation of the RIO system I have spoken of before, (Reverse Implement Operation), I'm sure he would have felt the same as you. But that safety switch wasn't about him, it was about protecting others. The government mandate requiring an additional, separate action before mowing in reverse isn't about protecting the operator, it's about protecting the innocent. Like you, I could care less if some dufus cuts his own leg off. It's the innocent who need protection from the dufus.

What happens if a kid, or grandkid, or spouse, or neighbor, is using the machine and the unthinkable happens? Would the speech about natural selection bring solace? You could always tell yourself that "I did my best to train/tell/advise them, it's their own fault for not listening and being stupid!" But I think I would have trouble sleeping after that, no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that unhooking that government mandated seat switch was within my rights, founding fathers, amending the constitution, et cetera, et cetera.

Boys, I worked on the stuff for years. Not just my own, but hundreds of pieces owned by other people. And you can damn well better believe that when a machine came into my shop with the seat switch jumped out and rendered ineffective, that I made sure I got a signature on the dotted line right beneath where it said "I acknowledge that a safety device(s) is inoperable, and I have instructed that it not be repaired" Probably still wouldn't have protected me, but it made me feel better.

Sorry to be so direct.

I believe the primary job of the government should be to protect us from other people, not ourselves. People should not be protected from their own stupidity. We should have the right to be stupid as long as it does not hurt others.

Manufacturers hate to be sued. Some manufacturers actually hire very intelligent people to sit around trying to think of ways their customers will misuse their product and to protect them when that happens. At the end of the day, many customers still come up with ways to either use the equipment for an unintended purpose or defeat the safety features designed in to protect them. If someone gets seriously hurt, there is most always a liability attorney waiting to sue the manufacturer on behalf of the injured party. Big settlement means cost increase to the other folks. I am just thankful that McDonald’s coffee now comes with a warning label stating coffee is hot.

Edit:

I toned this post down a good bit but hopefully the point comes across. Pretty much any injury that occurs because a safety feature was intentionally defeated hurts other people in one way or another.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/02/17 07:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
OP Offline
J

X2

BTW, these new gas can rules will cause some people to put their gas in empty juice jugs or soap jugs just for the ease of pouring. Make something too hard to use and people will defeat it, and make things worse in the process. Hopefully, the weakened EPA will rescind the fuel container rules made in the past 7 years or so.

Last edited by John F; 04/02/17 06:23 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted By: John F

X2

BTW, these new gas can rules will cause some people to put their gas in empty juice jugs or soap jugs just for the ease of pouring. Make something too hard to use and people will defeat it, and make things worse in the process. Hopefully, the weakened EPA will rescind the fuel container rules made in the past 7 years or so.

X3

In the name of safety our wonderful land of the free and home of the brave has turned into the land of the enslaved and the home of the sissy.

On the stupid gas can, by the way all mine are modified to actually work, there are a number of reason's why stupid "people" made this stupid law. First though, even the new gas can can't stop this nonsense.
https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/201...ut-of-business/

I guess we need another new regulation or safety device to stop yet another form of stupidity?

Now, onto the stupid gas can law we have. It is about spillage. I challenge ANYONE to use one of these stupid government cans that the government has forced us to use and NOT spill more gasoline then you did before the stupid new cans were put into affect.

https://lfb.org/how-government-wrecked-the-gas-can/

On the sad story about the poor kid and the mower, not my problem. To infringe on 350 million people because someone gets run over by a mower is poppycock. How many people are run over by mowers going forward? Where's the cool new regulation to stop that Darwin winning move?

We can safety police ourselves to death but things just keep happening. Shall we get rid of natural gas and propane grills/furnaces/space heaters? Check out the fascinating numbers on that miracle fuel. I can sit here and opine all day that if some poor child burns themselves at your grill we should all lose the right to grill our burgers. For some, there's just no end to enslaving you for their good intentions.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
somebody told me the pain in the arse child-proof caps on prescription bottles can be avoided by telling the pharmacy you don't want them....anybody know if that's true?

Originally Posted By: Zep
somebody told me the pain in the arse child-proof caps on prescription bottles can be avoided by telling the pharmacy you don't want them....anybody know if that's true?

True (at least where I live). My experience is you will get a cap manufactured with two sets of threads. One side child proof and the other straight threads. I believe the reason is elderly folks can't open their meds with the child proof caps but can child proof the meds if little ones are visiting.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/02/17 06:53 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails