Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, Bigtrh24, Willy Wonka, Theo Gallus, rjackson, tim k), 943 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35372 04/25/06 09:49 AM
C
caseyc Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I just registered here and am extremely impressed with the amount of information available in this forum. I wanted to share my recent experience with an algae and plant removal product. We have a friends that have couple of ponds on a ranch that really get overrun by hydrilla, to the point where fishing and swimming are not possible. They tried a microbial product called Natural Enviro 4000 Algae/Hydrilla removal. This stuff knocked out the hydrilla and the other nuisance plants in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else used microbial products before. What was your experience?

#35373 04/25/06 05:25 PM
P
P
I am very skeptical. To make the claims that this product makes, it has to be approved by the EPA. I do not see an EPA registration number on this product. If this were true, I think the major manufactures of aquatic herbicides/algaecides would have known about this years ago.
I have been in this business for 17 years. I have seen all kinds of products with claims such as this.
Mark me down as a non-believer. Just my 2 cents...

PondsRx.com Your Pond's Best Friend!
#35374 04/25/06 07:38 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sounds like an infomercial.

#35375 04/26/06 06:38 AM
P
PO Offline
P
I just happen to call the company yesterday and started asking the office girl some questions about the Natural Enviro 4000 so she put me thru to a Mr Joe Hogan who answered some of my questions about the product. Well a hour later I called back and and she said Joes not in I,ll let you talk to Casey, when she said that I thought can this be and after talking a little bit,I said did you just post on Pond Boss forum and he fumbled a little a said yeow I've been on it a few times. My Question is why didn't he state he works for the company. I'm with PondsRx on this one (BEWARE) also while I was talking to him he told me he did a rancher friends pond that was covered with hydrilla and in a couple weeks it was gone.
PO

#35376 04/26/06 07:57 AM
Nice detective work! \:D

It ain't much of story if you don't have pictures!
#35377 04/26/06 09:04 AM
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
This looks like a good place for moderator intervention to me.

FB

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
#35378 04/26/06 09:13 AM
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
By my post I mean that caseyc should have identified his connection to the product up front. I appreciate that many fine pond related items are discussed by their company representatives here, and i think that is fine, but up front the identify themselves and their affiliation.

FB

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
#35379 04/26/06 09:38 AM
C
caseyc Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Let me clarify why I did not mention upfront my association with Natural Environmental Systems. I did not want to come across as trying to push our product here. I am new with this group and am just trying to do some research on other people's experience with live microbial products. We have used our product in the ponds mentioned above and and it worked exactly as I stated. Furthermore, I am not trying to claim that we have some new, unheard of product. There are other microbial products out there that treat algae and other aquatic plants. I just like to hear the experiences of others to help myself be more educated.

Upon re-reading my initial post, I now see how it does appear to read like an "infomercial". I apologize for the confusion and truly intended no deception here. I think this is a great forum, full of very knowledgeable people.

#35380 04/26/06 10:39 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to the PB forum. As you have noted it is an outstanding learning tool and we are glad to have new folks join us. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum and as DD (Dave Davidson) has noted it is next to impossible for the collective group to be caught unaware. That is evident from this thread.

The selling of products here is discouraged (obvious sales attempts are not allowed) and certainly any post that could be viewed as such should come with full disclosure of all facts and representations. Bob may want to address this directly. A product that works is its best advertisement so if anyone has a good result with a product just post the pics, facts , proof etc.( Not the product name , company, etc )and tell folks if they want to hear more then contact you by email. I am not sure that process is ok and is up to Bob. Most of the people here try to support the PB advertisers so if you have a good product then that is a good source.

#35381 04/26/06 11:08 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Bing, I dont think moderation is called for, but exactly what Ewest did; to welcome to the forum and explain the expectations. caseyc, sorry about the infomercial statement, it's just that I have seen this kind of post on other forums, and it is quite obvious. Cant blame you for trying to get someone to try your product.
Now to the meat of the subject. This should have been available when Conroe was overrun with hydrilla. Microbes devouring it in 2 weeks does sound a little unreal. Are there any specifications on the product, such as how many and what types of enzymes, bacteria and the cfu count per unit of wt? That would be a good start as not many products have this info publicized. Maybe the rancher could get on board and deliver a testimonial, assuming that is allowed.

welcome

#35382 04/26/06 11:17 AM
C
caseyc Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Again, I apologize for getting started in this forum on the wrong foot.

Ewest, thank you for your comments and information

Burgermeister, The pond that we removed the hydrilla from is a pond probably no larger than 2 acres...maybe more like 1.5 acres, so that is why the product took effect in such a short time. The product utilizes a forumulation of 38 billion microbes per gallon.

#35383 04/26/06 12:50 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Casey, please go back and edit your original post and don't try to sell anything here, especially without proof of performance. Our magazine is full of tried and true, and tested, products from advertisers who pay good money to be here. If you want to start a relationship, please rethink how you do it. You are dealing with people who know what's going on. I have used microbial products for years, and not one has ever worked on hydrilla that I have found. Also, I have only found hydrilla in a private pond one time in 26 years in the pond management business, so your entire post is too suspect to have merit with the professional pond managers who frequent this site. So, not only is it deceptive, it makes me suspect you mis-identified the plant.
While we would appreciate your input on the forum, your first methods won't work.
Thanks,
Bob Lusk,
Editor, Pond Boss magazine
Fisheries biologist

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#35384 04/26/06 02:29 PM
C
caseyc Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have edited my initial post. FOR THE LAST TIME, I apologize for my initial post. It was not meant to be deceptive. As far as hydrilla in the pond, it was indeed hydrilla and the owners had tried other products that were unsuccessful at solving the problem, so I understand how you would feel skeptical. I am not here to argue or cause a commotion. I strictly wanted to post a solution to a problem and hear feedback from others who have tried similar solutions. If people have tried microbial products and were unsatisfied, I would like to hear about.

thanks
Casey

#35385 04/26/06 09:38 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Alrighty, then. Now that the air is clear, here's some input about microbes, from my perspective. Microbes don't kill anything green. They decompose and reconfigure the nutrients which feed and/or make the ingredients which allow macrophytic plants to grow. Microbes expedite the decomposition of decaying algae, etc. Any products which kill plants must be labeled by the EPA to be sold as herbicides. For more than 15 years, I have watched and studied the microbe business as it made its way into the pond management business. Many of us are skeptical, simply because of claims made without any scientific proof. When we ask for solid proof, no one seems to have any. That's EVERY company I have dealt with. Over time, many of us have been willing to take a small risk and try the different microbial products. About the only consistent results I have personally seen has been aiding in breaking the lifecycle of several species of filamentous algae. When asking the different marketing companies about the products they sell the sales rep is quick to point out that the blend is "proprietary." To most of us, that's simply a non-answer which suggests most of the ingredients are most likely available at the local grocery store. It would be great to be able to have some solid, replicated, scientific proof that someone's microbial product works, and works consistently. Until then, expect us to remain at arm's length and to call to question claims such as yours about hydrilla. There are a number of products which kill hydrilla, especially when found in small bodies of water.
I can't tell you that people are actually dissatisifed with microbes, but I have a number of clients who think microbes cost way too much for the benefits. What I have learned is when dealing with invasive aquatic plants, a holistic management protocol is often best for the environment. There are things which can be done above the shoreline, as well as preventative methods under water. Right now, I believe microbes may play a role assisting what goes on in pond soils and decaying organic matter. Bottom line...we need a lot more science and a bit less marketing...until we get more science.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use