Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas
18,511 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,982
Posts558,186
Members18,512
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (DPSMESA, JKK, Sunil, andrew davis, JoshMI, Joe7328, Drago, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod, Knobber, Theo Gallus, ewest), 1,228 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I heard picking the snake up by the head and checking for fangs with a tongue depressor works. If you see fangs kill it before it bites someone.

whistle

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/22/16 08:34 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, using your finger as the tongue depressor is always fun.
The other day a friend and I were at the beach. I noticed something about 8-10' off shore and we waded out to investigate. Turned out to be a stingray. I kept a good distance but persuaded my friend we should try to catch and eat it. Told him to get on the outside of it and herd it more shallow. He attempted to but that ray would turn to face him wherever he went. The ray won that dance. I have seen a video about how to handle a ray when captured and it looks pretty simple. They have tails that extend a ways but the actual stinger seems to only be about 2-3" and looks like a thorn. I figure if a guy could get a GOOD grip around the head/shoulders he could avoid that stinger. Anybody have any knowledge on the subject. Bill D, Pat or Charlie, I don't need instructions to pick it up by the tail and pound its face in the sand.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Steve Irwin knew how to handle one!

Oh wait, no he didn't!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Only way I handle a stingray is on the end of a knife and fork once it's been barbecued and smothered in a good Malay Sambal sauce. grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Tracy that makes sense, if snakes are decimating your forage base - they need to be thinned. FYI if you need any American Bullfrog Tadpoles I have 100,000 for you a short drive away.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
D
Glad you are starting to see it my way. If you have ever been chased out of a pond by a Moc'. You would know it at 50 yards. At 40 feet you are way too close and anything closer is riot gun range. Come on down this August I have some swamp that can use your help..Nice thing about them is their eyesight is not real keen. Bad thing about them is, to make up for that failing they are a free biter. Dan

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Tracy that makes sense, if snakes are decimating your forage base - they need to be thinned. FYI if you need any American Bullfrog Tadpoles I have 100,000 for you a short drive away.

TJ, I am starting to think adult Bullfrogs might have an impact on ones forage base. Last week I caught a large Bullfrog with a crankbait and I did not snag it, it had the front treble hook in its mouth.

C
C
SO, I go pay perfectly good money to import bullfrogs to my pond as a new forage base, and come to find out others are thinking of a frog-thinning strategy. So outside of scaring them so they hop in the water and the LMB ambush them, how else do you control them?

I know we have an owl that hangs out at night by the pond and I assume is catching some frogs/toads.

The GBH is gone, (wheh!!) but I imagine they eat a fair amount?

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dan123
Glad you are starting to see it my way. If you have ever been chased out of a pond by a Moc'. You would know it at 50 yards. At 40 feet you are way too close and anything closer is riot gun range. Come on down this August I have some swamp that can use your help..Nice thing about them is their eyesight is not real keen. Bad thing about them is, to make up for that failing they are a free biter. Dan

I wasn't aware that Water Moccasins chased people. Learn something new every day!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

I wasn't aware that Water Moccasins chased people. Learn something new every day!

They can be aggressive.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Shorty

TJ, I am starting to think adult Bullfrogs might have an impact on ones forage base. Last week I caught a large Bullfrog with a crankbait and I did not snag it, it had the front treble hook in its mouth.

I hate catching frogs on a hook!!! Did that too many times as a kid and they just swallow it. Cut the line and tie on a new hook.

T
T
How big a LMB does it take to eat a big bullfrog?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

I think they more investigate, which seems like they are chasing. Maybe just keeping an eye out for what they may think are intruders on their turf.

Blue Racers do about the same up here and will bite if close enough, but their antics are more scare than anything else. Which I am quite comfortable being scared!

Todd...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Turtlemtn
How big a LMB does it take to eat a big bullfrog?

Big enough for the frog to fit in it's mouth.....

I DID watch a LMB in my pond grab what seemed a YP that was 10+-11" long, flare it's gills and mouth, shake it's head and spit it back out.

I'm guessing that either the YP dorsal spines or gill flap spines made it a wee bit uncomfortable.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
I have a lot of big bullfrogs, and they don't seem the least bit concerned about the fish in my pond, which I'm pretty sure includes LMB of over 2 lb. So I'm wondering if the bullfrogs are telling me how big the biggest LMB are?

D
D
Thank you for that view, Late August if you're not busy why not come down here and test that theory out. We could get Marlin Perkins up in the old stand and let you do all the ground work while we filmed it. Have you a lot of experience with this make and model of snake. I was not aware of a huge population of them in Michigan. Dan

Last edited by Dan123; 04/22/16 07:44 PM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thank you for that view, Late August if you're not busy why not come down here and test that theory out. We could get Marlin Perkins up in the old stand and let you do all the ground work while we filmed it. Have you a lot of experience with this make and model of snake. I was not aware of a huge population of them in Michigan. Dan

Who are you replying too?

Last edited by JKB; 04/23/16 06:04 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
The only venomous snakes in NE are a few rattlesnake species and copperheads in SW NE near MO. They are all extremely shy and will avoid conflict whenever possible. This moccasin sounds like a different story.

B
B
We catch frogs on hookless lures. Tie a smallish plastic / rubber frog on without hooks and drop it near your bullfrogs. You will land larger frogs. They hang on and typically don't open their mouth until you've got them right at your feet.

D
D
Thanks basslover for that tip. Looks like a bumper crop down here this year and we both like frog legs..

P
P
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Cecil, using your finger as the tongue depressor is always fun.
The other day a friend and I were at the beach. I noticed something about 8-10' off shore and we waded out to investigate. Turned out to be a stingray. I kept a good distance but persuaded my friend we should try to catch and eat it. Told him to get on the outside of it and herd it more shallow. He attempted to but that ray would turn to face him wherever he went. The ray won that dance. I have seen a video about how to handle a ray when captured and it looks pretty simple. They have tails that extend a ways but the actual stinger seems to only be about 2-3" and looks like a thorn. I figure if a guy could get a GOOD grip around the head/shoulders he could avoid that stinger. Anybody have any knowledge on the subject. Bill D, Pat or Charlie, I don't need instructions to pick it up by the tail and pound its face in the sand.

I don't f with rays much..... Other than feeding and swimming wif em in the cayman islands..... Those dudes are big...60-100#

+1 on the size Pat. A buddy of mine in Singapore caught a 30 KG one. He walked in with a barbecued 4 inch thick slice smothered in Malay Sambal sauce one night when I was in a pub and handed me a pair of chop sticks. Absolutely awesome but I'm glad I didn't have to boat the monster!

[Linked Image]
D
D
Where do we find this Malay Sambai sauce in the Dollar General store?

Lunker
Lunker
The large Bullfrog I caught last week hit my crawdad colored crankbait while it was banging the bottom of the pond in 2 to 3ft of water. This BF was ar least 6" from snout to vent and very well fed. Due to cooler weather here there really hasn't been much insect activity yet, my guess is this BF has been eating either birds or golden shiners. The funny thing is I had the same thing happen early last year while throwing a light weight jig-n-pig in shallow water, it also hit a submerged lure.

Where do we find this Malay Sambai sauce in the Dollar General store?

Probably. I'm sure most of the high end boutique type shops like that carry it...but I think I will send an e-mail or two to friends in Asia and get a good recipe. If I am successful, I will PM you. It's also awesome with shrimp (that's prawns over there), fish, mantus or...Not for someone that can't take spicy hot though.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/22/16 09:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Drain it to clear it?
by JKK - 05/03/24 01:26 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/03/24 01:00 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 05/03/24 12:51 PM
Using Advanced Search Function