Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
EGS, Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!
18,527 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,462
Members18,528
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,603
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
4 members (canyoncreek, Jward87, Angler8689, catscratch), 1,255 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#442276 03/30/16 10:51 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi All,

My pond was put in last August and was completely full by November. It's fed by a spring(s) that keep plenty of water coming in. The pond is about an Acre in size and sits in direct sunlight (middle of a field).

I'd like to get a head start on treating the pond so we don't have an algae/weed problem in the future. I've read about adding chemicals and/or enzymes, but have no experience. The only knowledge I can gather is what I've read on MFG website, they all claim to be the miracle pill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very open to adding the Blue Dye people speak of, as my wife loves the look it give the pond.

Attached Images
pond.jpg pond1.jpg
C
CMM Offline
C
Beautiful!

What are you planning for the pond? Fishing, swimming, wildlife....?

I like the look of dye too, but in my application, I am afraid of the side effects of disruptiong the lower end of the food chain for my fish, my primary purpose.

I planted more desirable plants to help take up nutrients that would otherwise have been used by algae.

I am also in a very different part of the country than you are! Upstate is lovely.

Cmm

CMM

Originally Posted By: CMM
Beautiful!

What are you planning for the pond? Fishing, swimming, wildlife....?

I like the look of dye too, but in my application, I am afraid of the side effects of disruptiong the lower end of the food chain for my fish, my primary purpose.

I planted more desirable plants to help take up nutrients that would otherwise have been used by algae.

I am also in a very different part of the country than you are! Upstate is lovely.

Cmm

+1 I agree with CMM. Pond dye well "It depends" on what your goals for the pond are.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
CMM Offline
C
I probably should add that I DO have some algae, some years is worse than others, but as my desire able plants expand it has been on the down swing for the last few years, please God, let that be a continuing trend!

Cmm

CMM

C
C
Realy nice place.

Does the spring give enough flow for constant run off? If it does you may get enough water change to prevent buildup of enough nutriants for rapid algae growth.

B
OP Offline
B
Sorry for the delayed reply (trying to get that tyvek covered up)

Yes the spring allows for a constant run off out the overflow, but I assume it will change at times in the summer dry months.

I've added 2K minnows to the pond and plan to stock 12 Rainbows this Saturday. I have a 15 month old son that will get a huge kick out of the fish! The local MD/"Fish Whisperer", who runs hatchery as a hobby, suggested I start with a few fish to try and keep things in check. In May I'll add 40 Perch and 40 Bass to keep things moving. By next yr I hope to support some Triploid Grass Carp.

Our main focus for the pond is recreation. We would like me able to swim and relax in the pond as it sits feet from the house we're building. Fishing is an added bonus but we're more interested in floating on a tube with an ice cold beer (well at least I am).

My biggest worry is the pond getting full of algae, making it undesirable for my wife and friends to enjoy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would cut that bass number in half or by 3/4 and still consider adding another species of fish for bass forage.

One question, are you adding Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass?

Do Redear Sunfish live in your area or is it all Pumpkinseed Sunfish?

After the first year, (maybe sooner) all those minnows will be gone and the bass won't have anything to eat. If you will be using the pond for swimming, I'd try NOT to add Bluegills.

Ask the hatchery guy what those minnows weigh. To add 1 pound of flesh to one bass, it has to eat 10# of fish.... Then you can do the math and see just how quick the bass will over eat their forage base.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I highly suggest not to use LMB with perch. LMB eventually always overpower perch. SMB are much more compatible with perch.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jrschneider, Robocopc
Recent Posts
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by esshup - 05/13/24 01:03 PM
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/13/24 12:22 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 05/13/24 09:52 AM