Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (gehajake, nvcdl, Tinylake), 1,371 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#441181 03/19/16 10:07 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just found a big pre spawn yellow perch up on the bank (actually a good 10 feet up a steep bank on level ground) with not a mark on it. No beak marks no nothing. I have been visted by a large heron recently.

How would a heron get a fish out of a pond without spearing it? Can they use their feet?

Haven't seen a coon here in ages but that doesn't mean there isn't one. (Nearest woods is a half a mile.)

Maybe got spooked by the bird and jumped up on the bank, and the bird realized it was to big to mess with?

Thoughts?

I haven't staked the pond to keep the bird out yet as I've being trying to get a break to seine it. Finally going to seine it today. (Hi's in the upper 30's with snow showers. Yippee!)

The fish is in excellent condition except a split in the caudal fin, so it will be sold to a taxidermst.

14 5/8 inches and 1 lb. 12 1/2 oz.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/19/16 10:20 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Cecil,

FWIW I think heron are capable of catching fish using their beaks like chop sticks as opposed to spearing them. I would think it is a good possibility that the heron caught the fish and then left it on the bank after being unable to swallow it.

http://projectbeak.org/adaptations/beaks_striking.htm

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/19/16 03:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ditto on the heron. Could have been 99% dead and no need to spear it. Then found it couldn't eat it so it left it. I think that if it was a coon it would have eaten all or part of it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
Are you still able to use it ?

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
Are you still able to use it ?

Yes.

May even do myself a stringer mount this year. On the other hand at $50 to $70 each that's a chunk of change I don't want to miss.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
good

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
good

Thanks for the concern!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
What a shame! cry

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
What a shame! cry

Not at all. It's as if I caught it. It will sell for $50.00 no problem.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
This is not adding up? How could a Heron let say "Pinch it" for better lack of words between it's beaks roll it around in its mouth to swallow it and then realize it cant and chunk it back up and there be NO marks on it at all??? I guess that's possible but you must have the nicest Heron ever.... lol Just seems weird... You would think it would be missing a scale or 2 in the struggle....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Originally Posted By: RC51
This is not adding up? How could a Heron let say "Pinch it" for better lack of words between it's beaks roll it around in its mouth to swallow it and then realize it cant and chunk it back up and there be NO marks on it at all??? I guess that's possible but you must have the nicest Heron ever.... lol Just seems weird... You would think it would be missing a scale or 2 in the struggle....

RC

I agree but couldn't think of a better explanation. This video came to mind when I read Cecil's story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-p2AI9uTs0

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah like I said I guess it's possible not sure what else could have done it?? Just seems fishy.... haha get it fishy.... lol

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil raises fish that just ain't normal. Wouldn't surprise me if that thing was crawlin up the bank ta find a male.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: RC51

RC

I agree but couldn't think of a better explanation. This video came to mind when I read Cecil's story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-p2AI9uTs0

No sharp spines on the Gizzard shad....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I've had several cases where a predator fish will end up on the bank and I'm confident it's due to overshooting a chase into the shallows and/or leaping to get a grasshopper/etc.

But 10 feet up a steep bank? No chance....unless that's a hybrid YP/FF (Flying Fish).

Any chance of the culprit being a kid with a fishing rod getting caught mid-poach? Ran off and left the evidence? That'd explain the lack of damage from whatever predator it could've been.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
I've had several cases where a predator fish will end up on the bank and I'm confident it's due to overshooting a chase into the shallows and/or leaping to get a grasshopper/etc.

But 10 feet up a steep bank? No chance....unless that's a hybrid YP/FF (Flying Fish).

Any chance of the culprit being a kid with a fishing rod getting caught mid-poach? Ran off and left the evidence? That'd explain the lack of damage from whatever predator it could've been.

No chance as it's mostly fenced in and my neighbors either don't have kids or are not interested.

Fatih and I tried our darndest to catch a YP in your pond, and here they are jumping out on their own shocked

Looks like we should have brought a catcher's mitt instead of rod and reel grin

Beautiful fish, none the less!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Fatih and I tried our darndest to catch a YP in your pond, and here they are jumping out on their own shocked

Looks like we should have brought a catcher's mitt instead of rod and reel grin

Beautiful fish, none the less!

They have a feeding time within an hour before dark. Otherwise you wouldn't think there are any in the pond. For some reason the fish in my pond also bite poorly on sunny days. But the pond is only 9 feet deep max.

Back when I had a slew of 15 inchers I brought an acquaintance out to ice fish. It was a subzero day windy day and we still shivered in an ice shanty with heat. The water was so clear you could see any fish that came through. We caught none and saw two small perch swim by. To this day the guy thinks I'm full of sheet when I tell him about my big perch! LOL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM