Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,998
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, Harrison55, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, Fishingadventure), 1,292 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
phil333 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
About 8 years after we built our pond, it finally came together last year. We removed about 1,000 bass 14" and under over a four year period. The pond is between 4 and 5 acres. We caught around 14 bass last year that were 4 lbs and larger. The biggest being 8.5 lbs. My question is..is it worth the money to stock threadfin even if they will die every year? The pond is in Tennessee. My 2nd question is...should we keep taking 14" and under bass out or change to a slot? And what should that slot be? We prolly average about 10 bass per trip. Sometimes 0 or 1-2 little ones. Thanks for the help in advance!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I am assuming that you are keeping catch records.

Of the 10 fish that are caught per trip, what are their sizes and weights?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In addition to what esshup asked, also do you have any data regarding the forage fish density? What species of forage fish are in the pond and the population structure (size classes) and density of each specie? What is the habitat like? About how many submerged weeds and types of weeds are in the pond as cover/refuge for forage fish? All these items affect the structure of the bass population.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I've tried introducing threadfins to a couple of 3 acre ponds here in TN, one with LMB and one with SMB. In each case, after adding the shad in the early spring and seeing clear evidence of a spawn, all shad appeared to be eradicated by late fall, before they had the opportunity to winterkill. INHO, establishing a population of TFS is really tough in a smaller pond with a good population of bass.....and they are pretty darned expensive snacks.
If you are going to really try to push your bass population to trophy size, you may get more bang for your buck at our latitude with a fairly heavy stocking of trout as early in the fall as you can get them; they'll probably last into late April or early May, depending on pond dynamics. Also, you'll lose a lot of shad to the same bass you're targeting for removal. Most of your trout will probably provide forage for your preferred population of LMB.

P
phil333 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
We haven't kept records because our goal was to take them out if they were 14" or under until we saw improvement. I guess we should have last year but I would say 30% of the bass we catch are 2-3 lbs and 60% are less than 2 lbs. I have no data regarding the forage density. It's obvious the bream have made a comeback from a few years ago just from the fish and beds we see in the shallow water. We have also introduced golden shiners to the pond. They seem to be having a hard time getting established but there seem to be some small ones on the banks. No schools getting busted in open water though. The habitat is very wooded on the banks with humps we built in the 12 to 20 foot depths. No sure on the types of weeds. But we seem to have plenty of cover. Just didn't stock the pond correct in the beginning. I like the trout idea. Especially feeding the preferred population of bass. I just want to make sure we give our big ones every chance to get as big as possible. But don't want to waste money where we won't see results. Thanks everyone!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You would likely have better success stocking adult BG , adult GSH while you keep harvesting LMB as needed. TShad are iffy at your location and expensive.

Start however with your goals and current data before making a choice. If you want trophy LMB only and have to use a shad then GShad may be an option.

Last edited by ewest; 01/29/16 06:03 PM.

P
phil333 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
We have talked about going with GShad but have heard horror stories of them taking over the pond to the point where you have to kill a lot of them. How do you know if it is ok to go with them? I read that 25% of your bass must be 16" or over (I think) to control them. Is there really that much of a risk of them taking over?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think the 25% rule is even larger, 20" or larger, but I'm not 100% sure without going and looking. If you don't have the book "Raising Trophy Bass" go to the Pond Boss Store and order it before stocking any.

I would start taking length and weight measurements of the LMB this year, and keep records. It's not the weight of the fish, it's the relative weight of the LMB. While a 4# LMB is nice, if it is 21" or longer fish, it doesn't weigh enough.

Taking weight and length measurements will also tell you what size forage fish you should concentrate on growing or stocking.

The amount of forage fish in the pond is important to know too. A pond could have a lot of forage, but not enough cover in it, and the LMB have to chase forage too much and expend more energy than they are getting from the meals. If your goal is to grow trophy LMB, the fish have to be couch potato fish.

Or the forage fish in the pond could be too small or completely absent to get one year class of LMB to the next larger size. Keeping good fish length/weight records will help you see that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
If willing to spend some money for forage, you will get a FAR bigger bang for your buck using Tilapia in the spring, and trout over the winter.

A
A
Originally Posted By: esshup
I think the 25% rule is even larger, 20" or larger, but I'm not 100% sure without going and looking. If you don't have the book "Raising Trophy Bass" go to the Pond Boss Store and order it before stocking any.

I would start taking length and weight measurements of the LMB this year, and keep records. It's not the weight of the fish, it's the relative weight of the LMB. While a 4# LMB is nice, if it is 21" or longer fish, it doesn't weigh enough.

Taking weight and length measurements will also tell you what size forage fish you should concentrate on growing or stocking.

The amount of forage fish in the pond is important to know too. A pond could have a lot of forage, but not enough cover in it, and the LMB have to chase forage too much and expend more energy than they are getting from the meals. If your goal is to grow trophy LMB, the fish have to be couch potato fish.

Or the forage fish in the pond could be too small or completely absent to get one year class of LMB to the next larger size. Keeping good fish length/weight records will help you see that.

Scott, wouldn't 25 percent plus LMB 20" or larger be a pretty ambitious goal? Hardly doable with Northern LMB, I'd guess. And even with Floridas, that would be a very healthy lake.

Not saying it couldn't be done, just that you'd likely need really good management.

Last edited by anthropic; 01/30/16 04:43 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 01/30/16 06:41 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: anthropic

Scott, wouldn't 25 percent plus LMB 20" or larger be a pretty ambitious goal? Hardly doable with Northern LMB, I'd guess. And even with Floridas, that would be a very healthy lake.

Not saying it couldn't be done, just that you'd likely need really good management.

Yes, exactly the problem. Up here, GSD in public waters take over the lakes and some have been treated with low doses of Rotenone to knock their population back. A survey was done a while back of a local 365 acre lake. 60% of the total fish population was GSD.

Last edited by esshup; 02/03/16 10:46 AM. Reason: Changed GSH to GSD

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes and that is a serious problem in all areas of the country.

P
phil333 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the info everyone. Still not sure what to do though. I guess it depends on how much you are willing to risk to have truly large bass. But I don't want to have to drain the lake in 10 years and start over because of GShad.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If you don't have a goal of a trophy bass lake along with all the pros and cons that go with it then use options other than GShad.

Yes, exactly the problem. Up here, GSH in public waters take over the lakes and some have been treated with low doses of Rotenone to knock their population back. A survey was done a while back of a local 365 acre lake. 60% of the total fish population was GSH.

Esshup,

Just so I got it clear....Do you mean GSH or did you mean GSD?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Yes, exactly the problem. Up here, GSH in public waters take over the lakes and some have been treated with low doses of Rotenone to knock their population back. A survey was done a while back of a local 365 acre lake. 60% of the total fish population was GSH.

Esshup,

Just so I got it clear....Do you mean GSH or did you mean GSD?

GSD. I changed the original post. Thanks. Brain thought one thing, fingers another.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/28/24 04:52 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM