Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#435662 01/24/16 07:07 PM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is there any golfers in here? Had some technical thoughts and questions. Maybe even any guys with a physics mind might chime in.

So I have this great driver that is adjustable. Really love it. I have it adjusted with extra weight added in the heal and the loft to work the best for my swing. I still have a bit of a slice and I expect most of this can be fixed with more practice but even with 30-40 rounds per year its not coming around.

So with the added weight in the heal it has helped greatly with the dreaded slice. I am getting about 260-270 now with half the fairway slice. I mean that I need to aim at the right most edge of the fairway to land on the fairway or even on the left side. I am a lefty.

With the added weight to straighten the shot it has now changed my swing weight. The club swings heavier. I was thinking of adding grip weights to pull some of this extra swing weight out. In turn I expect to see more club speed.

My thoughts are is this going to be just a big waste of time. The added weight in the heal did fix my slice but adding weight in the grip lightening up the swing weight will the slice come back? Is my slice more tempo and timing than swing trajectory?

I can get these quick easy weights to install into the grip and for $125 was thinking why not give it a try.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
DonoBBD #435669 01/24/16 07:50 PM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Unfortunately, I hit golf balls with a nice baseball bat.

DonoBBD #435673 01/24/16 08:02 PM
FWIW I had a wicked slice back when I was able to play. Never really corrected it. If I could have a Mulligan, I would have spent a couple of hours with an instructor and had him tell me what I was doing wrong and corrected my swing/grip instead of trying to compensate for it.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
DonoBBD #435691 01/24/16 09:26 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
When I was a kid a buddy and I were coming off 18 after playing just the last nine. A couple of young experienced players were going onto the first. One of em yelled over "Which one of you guys broke 70"? I beamed back "We BOTH did! Took me quite a few yrs ta figure he was talkin about 18.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
DonoBBD #435693 01/24/16 09:35 PM
Hey, I always shot 5 under par for the course. Just depended on which hole that occurred. Mostly around the 9th thru 11th! I always figured ya didn't get yer money worth if ya didn't get to hit the ball a lot of times! grin Have to admit is was a PITA when guys were yelling at me for playing the neighboring fairway in the wrong direction......

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/24/16 09:40 PM.

[Linked Image]
DonoBBD #435696 01/24/16 10:03 PM
Just so the mods don't say this is not a pond related topic....I never experienced a golf course POND my ball didn't go to like a magnet! grin I am sure I maimed many a fish. My advice, when yer at the driving range, pick up a few balls to use on the water holes at the course!

[Linked Image]
DonoBBD #435708 01/25/16 08:40 AM
Don, does your drive start left and then continue left, or does it start right of target, then slice back to the left?

Where does your most common "miss" with the driver go? Skull, pop up, low, high left, etc.

I certainly can't comment on corrections but personally, I like a heavier swing weight. Most of my drivers are/were in the E's.

AL

DonoBBD #435710 01/25/16 08:58 AM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I was a hooker when I used to play golf... ahem... that didn't come out right. I mean that my golf shots with long irons and woods commonly hooked. I'd like to start playing again and walk the courses for exercise.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
djstauder #435802 01/26/16 09:19 AM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Don, does your drive start left and then continue left, or does it start right of target, then slice back to the left?

Where does your most common "miss" with the driver go? Skull, pop up, low, high left, etc.

I certainly can't comment on corrections but personally, I like a heavier swing weight. Most of my drivers are/were in the E's.

I am a lefty so my shots start out to the right side of the fairway then to the left side. It is 100% a slice shoot. I have corrected it with changing my swing some but with playing baseball all my life/pull hitter its killing my golf game. I retired from baseball two years ago and have kept golfing to stay fit. When it do get lucky with a nice shot with still a good fade to it I can get 280. I can get this with the extra weights added to the heal of my head. This took my driver from a C-7 to D-2 and dropped my swing speed to 98. My thoughts are adding weights to the grip to bring the club back to a C-7 will bring my swing speed back but with it bring back my slice?

I am very consistent with every club. All my irons I just shoot to the very right edge of the green and will be bang on but can roll off the back left side because of the spin put onto the ball.

A all out miss hit is rare and when we are five beers deep.

I just wonder that if I can bring my swing speed back with a straighter shot I could hit 280 all the time. Here lies the brain cramp. My old old driver when I played baseball had a steel head and steel shaft. I expect it to be a D-6 and I could hit that straight as an arrow 280 and roll 290+. With these new graphite shafts and light toaster size heads they are all C. My thoughts are adding the weight to the head has gotten my slice pulled back again and adding more to the shaft again getting me back to my old heavy steel shaft steel head club. I think the feel/weight smooths out the arc or the swing and smoother tempo.

I am quite confident that my swing is ok and not to out of line. It still might be a little outside inside.

Trying to get my new graphite shaft driver to feel like my old steel shaft ,steel head driver. If I could get a steel shaft for my R1 I would.

Originally Posted By: djstauder
I was a hooker when I used to play golf... ahem... that didn't come out right. I mean that my golf shots with long irons and woods commonly hooked. I'd like to start playing again and walk the courses for exercise.

djstauder, if you hook the ball and do this all the time get the biggest golf grips you can. Keep adding tape under them until the hook gos away. This worked for my buddy and is a scratch golfer now. Big hands big grips.

Cheers Don.

DonoBBD #435807 01/26/16 10:57 AM
I really cant help too much unless I see your swing. I played college golf and still have 5 handicap (don't get to play as much as I used to now that I'm a husband and new father). But what I can tell you is bring the club back low and slow. 95% of the time a slice is caused by cutting across the ball. Honestly I really wouldn't worry about swing speed. Tempo is where it is at. Also if you know where the ball is going and it's only about a 15 yard fade then I'd just play that all day long. REMEMBER drive for show, putt for dough. If you can somehow get your swing on camera or something I could help you a little more.

Go Hogs!
DonoBBD #435814 01/26/16 12:06 PM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Mdodson461, I will see what I can do. My striking of the ball is always in the sweat spot on the head +/- .75" left right. My baseball swing outside inside is the problem slapping the ball. Adding weight to the heal has really helped, but if I try to out drive some one I over swing and slice really bad. I have to tell my self to hit it like a girl.

Yes the best round I had last year was a 78 and didn't three putt one hole.

Cheers Don.

DonoBBD #435922 01/27/16 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Mdodson461, I will see what I can do. My striking of the ball is always in the sweat spot on the head +/- .75" left right. My baseball swing outside inside is the problem slapping the ball. Adding weight to the heal has really helped, but if I try to out drive some one I over swing and slice really bad. I have to tell my self to hit it like a girl.

Yes the best round I had last year was a 78 and didn't three putt one hole.

Cheers Don.

Yeah I'd say the baseball is screwing you up. I have a guy here at work that recently took up golf and played baseball/softball most of his life and he has a horrible slice. But he is always pulling out his front foot, making him cut across the ball. Also make sure your hips are just rotating and not sliding. You also could be getting your hips out in front too quickly. That happens to me when I play in the scramble and trying to bomb it.

Go Hogs!
DonoBBD #435933 01/27/16 01:08 PM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the tips. I keep my shoe spikes fresh all the time because of that front foot pulling back. Have to try the hip thing never really paid much attention there.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 01/27/16 01:09 PM.

DonoBBD #435958 01/27/16 04:43 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I hook or slice very infrequently. My driver is almost identical to the one pictured completely assembled. I don't have the extra "heads" for mine. The distance of the drive is all related to how close the ball is to the sweet spot. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
DonoBBD #436029 01/28/16 08:22 AM
T
T
All through my 30's I had a 6 handicap on a 72 slope rated course. I would sometime score just a stroke or two over par on a good day smile Today @ 63, I live on a golf coarse and have lived on one for the past 20 yrs. And today I have a love hate mentality when it comes to golf. I don't play anymore because of a bad back, but when I did play a few yrs ago I played to a 20 hdcp and that is where the hate came in. smile Fishing is a much more enjoyable game smile dbbd, if you are ever around Shreveport bring your sticks, I am pretty sure I can help you solve your over the top swing. And esshup, nice shotgun, but clay pigeons don't fry up for very good eating smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #436053 01/28/16 12:08 PM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: TGW1
All through my 30's I had a 6 handicap on a 72 slope rated course. I would sometime score just a stroke or two over par on a good day smile Today @ 63, I live on a golf coarse and have lived on one for the past 20 yrs. And today I have a love hate mentality when it comes to golf. I don't play anymore because of a bad back, but when I did play a few yrs ago I played to a 20 hdcp and that is where the hate came in. smile Fishing is a much more enjoyable game smile dbbd, if you are ever around Shreveport bring your sticks, I am pretty sure I can help you solve your over the top swing. And esshup, nice shotgun, but clay pigeons don't fry up for very good eating smile

Tracy

Before we booked the house in Florida the guys talked about going Texas way. Us snow birds are just looking for some heat and to be able to golf in shorts every day. We try to be just before March break or just after.

It would be nice to know of a good all inclusive golf resort in Texas. I am golfing with a few cheap guys this year and with the Canadian dollar where it is are not so much into the all inclusive, but I can fill a four sum I am sure for next year.

Cheers Don.

TGW1 #436054 01/28/16 12:09 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tracy:

Like Catmandoo, I have recipes for LOTS of things!! laugh

I can't tell you how many pheasants, doves and pigeons that it has dropped - it's not only a clay bird gun, I used it when training and hunting with the Springer Spaniels.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
DonoBBD #436056 01/28/16 12:31 PM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Don, concentrate on turning the left hand over at impact and follow-thru.
Don't keep applying band-aids.
That'll be $60 please...

Just do it...
esshup #436138 01/28/16 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I hook or slice very infrequently. My driver is almost identical to the one pictured completely assembled. I don't have the extra "heads" for mine. The distance of the drive is all related to how close the ball is to the sweet spot. wink grin

...Golf and I have a mutual agreement...we do not care for one another. But, esshup....aw heeeeeeelll yeah. In all 4 gauges with extended chokes and a Schnabel forearm to boot....that's what I'm talkin' bout. I've always been more comfortable with a fishing rod or a shotgun in my hands anyway....Beautiful shotgun...

...when in doubt...set the hook...
DonoBBD #436139 01/28/16 06:39 PM
T
T
esshup, I had to say it smile After all I said I don't golf anymore smile

Tracy

Tracy
DonoBBD #436871 02/05/16 08:38 AM
Don, if you and your guys decide at some point to make an affordable trip down here, here are my thoughts. Most stay and play resorts in TX can be very expensive, so here's a cheaper scenario.

First, I would probably stay at Garden Valley near Tyler TX. Tyler is about 2 hours east of DFW, and an easy drive once you get out of the Metroplex. You can play golf there, and then make short road trips to 2 other courses, Pine Dunes and Twin Lakes. All 3 courses are outstanding, and are particularly fun in the spring when the azaleas and dogwoods are blooming. I will tell you that Pine Dunes is a big boy course, and be a tad tough if you guys play from the tips.

I certainly won't offer any swing suggestions, but it sure sounds like the driver's club face is wiping across the ball at contact and creating too much side spin.

If it was me, I would probably get some $2 driveway markers, and have a friend take some phone pics of both my ball position, and body alignment. Pics from the side and back can sure tell you a lot before you ever swing the club. If the camera allows it, I would also take those same shots with slo-mo video enabled on the phone. All this should at least let you know where you're at right now.

The only real issue that I have with lessons from a qualified PGA professional, is the transition time that it takes to get from one swing to another. My personal experience with high school golf teams is that one can get trapped between a "corrected" swing, and the old one, and one tends to revert to a swing that at least keeps the ball in play. Practicing with one swing, and playing with another sure makes the process difficult.

I think Lee Trevino said it best when he said "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen". There's a lot of truth in that, and you're pretty close to that scenario, so any changes I might make would start out being very minor. In short, refine the swing you have before you rebuild it from the ground up.

Hope this helps, it's just my 2 cents.

AL

DonoBBD #436891 02/05/16 10:16 AM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Lee Trevino has one of my favorite golf sayings:

"Two things don't last long in this world... Dogs that chase cars and pro golfers putting for pars"

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
DonoBBD #436897 02/05/16 10:45 AM
T
T
I was walking with Lee, Ben Crenshaw and Hal Sutton just after they Teed off. Lee said to Ben " If you would have hit a Titleist ball, you would be up with the Big Boys" Bens Drive was about 30 yds short of his and Hals. Funny at the time smile

Tracy

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails