Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,014
Posts558,522
Members18,531
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
11 members (SSJSayajin, JoshMI, Augie, anthropic, Bennettrand, Kendal, LANGSTER, Sunil, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Theo Gallus), 1,032 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LakeNew Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello all, found this site using google and have loved looking at pics, reading and learning. Great stuff, thank you.

I am new to ponds/lakes and know next to nothing. Ours is newly built and right after we finished it, the recent St Louis area flooding record rains hit, it filled (about 6" from spillway) in 2.5 days. I was home, it was a sight to see it fill so fast, could almost watch the water go up like a bathtub.

Since it filled as of 12/28/15 and now on 01/01/15 it is down 7-8" as marked by a tree I marked to watch water height. So, it's loosing between 1.5"-2" per day. The last pic is from last Saturday (one week ago) as the rain was starting.

I am wondering it that's normal water loss? Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
J
J
Mine did the same thing when it first filled about six weeks ago, and the up and down is continuing. I am hoping it is all initial absorption into the surrounding soil to the saturation point. Hopefully yours is that absorption and not a leak.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum, LakeNew!!!

Have you seeded the bare areas yet? I see there was no structure in the pond for fish to have cover for fry, provide ambush/fishing areas, or promote spawning. What are your goals for the pond? Given thought to any stocking plan?

The early loss COULD be surrounding areas saturating. How was the Dam "compacted"...with heavy equipment tracks, or a sheepsfoot?

I also don't see a drain, or low spot for an emergency spillway in your pictures.....How is the overflow handled?

I'm in Maryland Heights...not far from you at all!

Very nice setting! Get the disturbed areas seeded asap, or you may be calling me to clear a permanently muddy pond! lol

L
LakeNew Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you.

1. We left a lot of stumps and cover spot starting back 100' from the dam
2. Stock with catfish and Bluegill someday
3. No seed, but in the spring he is going to come back and finish all the areas and sew grass along with my father in law
4. Dam has a 15' deep core trench packed with clay, the entire dam is clay, the deep part of the pond is clay. Just packed it with a large dozer and a large track hoe.

Looking at it today, I'd say it's more like 1 foot down in one week. Seems like a lot.

Last edited by LakeNew; 01/02/16 04:33 PM.
H
H
There's no doubt that the soil is soaking up a lot of water. You'll find that pretty common if you look through this site a bit. You really won't know what going on with it for quite awhile, most likely. Does it freeze where you are? The thought of a few months of that being open, unfrozen, would concern me. A covering of rye wouldn't take much time or money.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
Hey LakeNew,
It's a great forum. There's lots of good information, and knowledgeable guys around.
I've received a lot of help. Spunds like you've got lots of clay, and the construction principles. I had poor clay with a lot of rock, so I'm fighting a leak or two.
I've heard filling up too fast can be a problem, but I'm not sure why. I did have the sheepsfoot roller pack the clay in my pond. That may cause you a problem, but not necessarily. There's a lot of good ponds around that were only packed with a dozer.
I'll let the experts respond, RainMan already has..
I just wanted to say welcome to the forum from another Missouri guy.

Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
L
LakeNew Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Hollywood
There's no doubt that the soil is soaking up a lot of water. You'll find that pretty common if you look through this site a bit. You really won't know what going on with it for quite awhile, most likely. Does it freeze where you are? The thought of a few months of that being open, unfrozen, would concern me. A covering of rye wouldn't take much time or money.

It does freeze, right now about half froze. Is the concern about covering in due to soil erosion?

Thnx for the replies!

D
D
Our pond was only packed with the dozer and high hoe. We have some of the best clay any one can ask for. It still took 3 years for the banks to pack and seal up. After the second year we saw some 6-8" dips that were not there the first year.

One a windy day I can loose 1" easy just in evaporation too.

Great pictures. What a wonderful job you had done there. Every day its going to get better and better.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Yes, erosion is a big problem. An amazing amount of soil will wash into the pond during a significant rain event without provisions for erosion control.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
H
H
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Yes, erosion is a big problem. An amazing amount of soil will wash into the pond during a significant rain event without provisions for erosion control.

What he said. cool

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I see no downside to spreading winter wheat at this time. Even clay erodes.

When compared to a sheepsfoot roller, a dozer does a poor job of packing soil for a dam.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Spawn Identification
by Kendal - 05/16/24 03:49 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Bennettrand - 05/16/24 02:56 PM
BG sex?
by FishinRod - 05/16/24 02:37 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by FishinRod - 05/16/24 02:25 PM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Pat Williamson - 05/16/24 07:53 AM
Optimal vs. Purina