Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,262
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
6 members (FishinRod, Boondoggle, FireIsHot, TEC, shooterlurespond, 4CornersPuddle), 1,026 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
For a long time we had an old couch and some old twin size bed box springs (mostly a wood and metal frame with a little fabric on top) in our basement. This spring we threw them on the wet brush pile to get some heat. They burned pretty good (especially the foam in the couch!) but not completely clean. Then this fall we made another brush pile and this time the pile was pretty dry so we had a good hot fire. The wire from the box springs that we had left was pretty clean.

I thought this would be a good chance to make some structure for the pond. I had a double size box spring with closely spaced springs (that became the bottom of the new fish condo) I set that on the ground. Then the twin sized box springs had a pretty open structure and that seemed to be a good A frame roof for the condo.

We used some left over underground dog fence wire (16 gauge with outdoor rated wire insulation) to wire everything together.

It was quite comical wrestling this thing on to our aluminum boat. We tied a long stretch of wire on the top in two places like a big 'handle' so I could let it down from both ends and position it correctly. We put it perpendicular to the shore line underneath the pond light. We tried to have it so as the pond water fluctuates the shallow part will still be under water by a few feet and the deep part will hopefully be in a setting where the fish will feel comfortable.

The long triangular shape has fairly open spaces at the top sides but I doubt predator fish will cruise in there as they have to carefully work their way between the metal. The smaller fish no doubt will easily go in and out.

We then had some left over rolled galvanized wire fence that had closer spaced mesh used for keeping rabbits out of the garden. We were going to keep the ends open like a fish 'highway' but in the end wanted to use up the wire fence pieces so we closed the ends. This means that only fish say 2" or smaller will easily swim and out. Once the metal rusts or gets coated with green? it should be pretty interesting to see it under the water.

I hope we don't have to many mats of FA or too many leaves getting hung up in it as we don't want it completely covered.

We almost lost it when it went over the side. It wanted to go straight down and then tried to flip over on to its top. Thankfully with the guide wires we were able to flip it back over and get it in position and then cut the wires so they don't snag into a boat prop etc.

Hope the fish like it! Saw a few very nice dead tilapia while doing it. They did grow this year!

1. Before the wire fence 'end caps' were put on. I suspect the bottom which is pretty closely spaced springs and lighter gauge wire will such down into the bottom a bit. You can see the roof panels have vertical projections that stick out about 6" or so. We thought it best to have them sticking out like a 'prickly roof' rather than having them pointing in.

2. Ends are on! getting ready for a dunking.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Creative. That is good fish refuge material especially if it was 20Xlarger. It is also a very good lure/hook magnet.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/07/15 09:31 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
OP Offline
C
Bill you are correct about catching lures in there. So far the goal of the pond has been to build forage and stock smaller panfish/perch. I imagine at some point the goal will be to catch fish out of the pond but for now no fishing is going on.

We debated putting some pop bottles as markers so we would avoid this area with seine nets or fish hooks. In the end, we figured from the boat if the water is clear we can easily see it on the bottom and can mark it later. We just about on top of the aerator hose that goes out to the aerator. I'm sure if I'm fishing or seining I'll be wanting to avoid both the aerator disks and the fish mattress.

Next summer I'd like to snorkel or lower my waterproof sports/action camera and see how it has matured into a green fish haven.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pictures of it during the annual seasons would be very educational.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I like it. I'm also a "materials at hand" guy.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
PO Offline
P
Reminds me of back in late eighties when I would scuba dive a lot in the lake my Parents had a summer place on in Clay City, Indiana (great little country town)I was diving one day by some neighbors dock when I saw this big old round utility wire spool setting on bottom in about 7 feet of water. When I got closer to it I saw thousands of young minnows and they would swim around outside of spool but stay close to it. Then all of a sudden they swarmed together and darted real fast in between the center slats of the wooden spool, this went on several time as I just stayed in the same place a few feet away without moving. I thought to my self why are they doing this, when all of a sudden I seen the biggest bass I ever seen in this lake swimming around about 6 feet away. So I thought to myself ? (safe haven) So my Dad and brothers and I built this cage about 8feet long by 4feet wide 4 feet tall out of these wire panels factories usually have their tool cribs built with that was similar to chain link but all welded together. We put it in about 6 feet of water and we got the same results as the spool. I always would dive around it and watch the minnows dart in and out and would usually see a bass some where close to it. These days as I am a lot older I like the (Brettski Bowling Ball Sputniks) the best for attracting minnows. I have probably built 100 and installed them in friend lakes that I have permission to put them in. I sand the pvc and after a couple years the algae on the pvc looks like Christmas tree limbs with pine needles. And lures hardly ever snag on them. Mom and Dads are both gone now but what great memories my brothers and our kids and friends have of that place growing up. PO

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by FishinRod - 05/05/24 10:52 AM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:16 AM