Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328, BamaBass9, Bigtrh24, Bobbss), 1,399 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Yesterday I visited our pond site with my wife, daughter, and her husband. Had a good time until we heard young voices in the front of the property (too many trees to see anybody). That's not so bad, but it was followed by a gunshot. Then another. mad

They obviously heard us, because the voices and gunshots abruptly ceased and I saw no sign of them when we left.

Now, the previous absentee owner did little with the land other than growing pine trees. Kids on ATVs were welcome, as were hunters. I'm sure that folks just got used to doing whatever they wished on the property.

But the fact that they made themselves scarce shows they know they are there without permission. And as someone who will have a house, pond, kids and young grandchildren on the property, I simply cannot allow trespassers, especially those who like to shoot just for the sake of shooting!

Obviously I'll talk with the neighbors, build a fence and post no trespassing signs. But is it time for me to inform the authorities, considering the use of firearms? If so, who should I call? Not that I can identify anyone, but it would be good to establish a baseline in case this happens again.

And yeah, I've got a couple of NRA metal decals I'll post at the entrance, plus start target practice so people get the idea that it's not a good idea to trespass.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Post it, then talk to the sheriff about you being the new owners and your plans for the place.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Anthropic, like esshup said, post the property first (check into whether a purple paint law is in effect in LA), then talk to your game warden and parish law enforcement. Certainly mention the gunshots. If no poaching or "dangerous" shooting was done near a road or home, and assuming it's a rural area, about the only criminal act is the trespassing,

J
J
In the state of Louisiana a land owner isn't required to display any type of sign or paint to post said property. If a person is on property without written permission from the property owner they are tresspassing in the state of La.

W
W
Originally Posted By: JDMahindra
In the state of Louisiana a land owner isn't required to display any type of sign or paint to post said property. If a person is on property without written permission from the property owner they are tresspassing in the state of La.

Wow! That def makes life easy!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
T
I think his place in Tex near Marshall and is close to the Louisiana line. Frank, I would do a 3x3' No Trespassing sign in the area where u think the trespassing was, mostly because it might be an area where people were allowed to inter the property before your purchase. A big sign may catch their attention and u might be able to remove the sign after a yr or so. Trespassers will be prosecuted type sign. I do not have many trespassers but I have had some trespassers. My biggest problem is spotlighting deer in the area. We have blocked eyesight into some Pine Plantation lanes that could be seen from the rd.
Out laws have shot some nice bucks, cut their heads off and left the bodies. I hate these kind of people.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 09/06/15 06:20 AM. Reason: additions

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: JDMahindra

I'm pretty sure trespassing, with or without it being posted is a crime in every state....the signs just make prosecutors and LEO more likely to charge the offense. Even with signs, and absent theft, most LEO just give verbal warnings, if they do anything at all...

J
J
It is certainly plausible that here in La. levels of property trespassing are handled differently from parish to parish. I speak with first hand experience, as a property owner, I have witnessed the hand cuffs being applied and a trip to jail. No form of posting needed

B
B
I posted various no trespassing signs throughout our land, but I also included on those signs the name and phone number for the local sheriff.

I erected two vehicle obstacles on a known and traveled route to our pond, and included the already mentioned signage on those obstacles.

I installed a number of trail cameras.

All in all, it took only maybe 6 months before almost all trespassing stopped. There were a few face to face interactions, which I actually preferred as it gave me the opportunity to address the trespassers, record the encounters, and attempt to appeal to them on a personal level.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM