Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I am a new member and know almost nothing about pond systems to control muck/weeds/algae except what I have read here recently. I have a pond that is about 15 yrs old in my backyard. It is about .85 acres as best I can guess. It has about .& acres in a rectangular shape that is about 7-8 feet deep in deepest area with an island off of one end that has a shallow canal around it. The canal area varies from about 25 feet wide to about 14 feet wide as it goes around the island. I believe the canal which is mostly about 2 1/2 feet average depth with the entrance and exit at about 4 ft deep is about .15 surface acres. My address is 7511 CR511, Rosharon, Texas, 77583 if you want to google it to see.
I have just treated it with sonar A.S. to rid it of pondweed and sprayed some of the canal area to kill some algae but have a lot of algae still to kill later.
I have bass and bream in the pond and want to start taking care of the pond now that I have retired. I was thinking of getting a GAST 1/4 HP 0523 pump with one or 2 diffusers for deep end and either some diffuser hose which I saw here for the shallow canal or a small efficient circulation pump to run for the canal area.
Please advise of what would be best design and what would be best pump and diffuser to use. Also, how to match diffusers/hoses/etc for usage.
If I do not have enough aeration to get a lot of turnover will it still help and get rid of the muck and algae, or will it make the problems worse? I checked into the Canadian airearion hose and it needs 10 psi to bubble adequately.
Please help.
M phone is 713-829-8207 and my e-mail is ccrewstx@aol;.com
Thanks in advancew.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Your pond is approximately .744 acres of water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks, what type of aeration should I use in the shallow canal area and how to match pumps with diffusers could I use the .25hp gast and use two diffusers in deep and still feed air to a soaker hose in shallow

any thoughts on which pumps would be appreciated

C
C
Hello welcome to the forum, I just installed a thomas 2660 pump (off ebay) these are cheaper than a gast pump. I have a little under 3/4 acre pond, I am running a vertex 2 diffuser with 100 feet of 1/2 inch weight line and 170 feet of 3/4 line. I did what a couple people on here did and used the plastic water line from lowes or home depot for the run from the pump to the pond, its only like $19 for 100 feet. I am finding out that along with aeration using bacteria will help with muck control, you can read thru my post in aeration forum (I think I am finaly going to areate) as it has some reference to different bacteria. the hose size is going to be determined by pump location and how much run between pump and aerator.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks, I see several Thomas pumps on EBAY and also, Thomas ring diffusers. Are the ring diffusers any good or should I try for Vertex diffusers?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Vertex style diffusers are better than ring diffusers because there is less clogging of diffuser pores with the membrane diffusers. Cleaning the disk membranes is also easier compared to ring diffusers. The volume of water moved is probably better for the Vertex compared to rings. Testing of the two styles would be very informative.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/13/15 09:53 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Charles,

As I am sure you may know nothing you do will be a quick fix for Algae/Muck reduction. A good air setup in the deepest part of your pond is a good start. A 2 diffuser setup with a Gast or a Thomas would work good on your pond I think. 1 have a 1 acre pond and I am using a GAST 1/3 hp pump. It works great but each to his own. I too would go with the diffusers instead of the rings. I can't tell you for sure but I think the fusers have more uplift in them and move more water. I been using a bacteria product going on 4 years now. I like it and it seems to work for me. With that said some would say they don't work at all, but I think along with air running there is a place for Beneficial Bacteria products. PM if you want to know more about that.

As far as your canal area goes. Can you get a excavator down there to dig it out? That would be the quick fix for the canal. Course you have to do something with all that muck then.

Keep in mind air and bacteria products are just tools for proper pond management. They work but they do not work fast!! You will need patience.

I been running air for 5 years and using bacteria for 4 and I have to say Ive lost about 8 inches total of muck. Where I see it the most is along the shore line. Where I used to have 8 inches I now can feel the hard bottom at about 2 to 3 inches. So it does work it just takes time!

Good Luck man sounds like your on the right track!! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
D
Good morning. I have a new 1/3 acre pond with dirt covered liner that is filled by run off; it is full and holding. I am researching submerged aeration options and have already looked at Koender Windmills with my fish hatchery man, the pond is too far away for regular electric service, and am now researching solar power. I realize that there is a lot of info already posted here, but need a fresh start from members. I see and have read about DYI ( I am not the best mechanically), $6-12,000 units and also units maybe for less that don't use batteries for storage. My budget is not unlimited and $6-12,000 seems to be a lot. Surely the cost has reduced over the years!. One site asks that I contact them for pricing---Vertex, I think. Is that something I should do? Others have their pricing posted. A little overwhelmed and confused; help please.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
danny1, welcome to the forum. How many feet from the electric to the pond? You can push air 1,000' or more if you trench in the correct size poly pipe.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
That's interesting. I can invision 333 yards not 1000 ft and know that I am within that length from a pole that carries current back to the house and barn. Can I connect to that pole without too much of a problem, expense? I would think that I would need to contact our electric cooperative to direction. Will do that tomorrow.

D
D
1000 ft is not the maximum. What is the distance from your barn to your pond? That's the distance we need to explore for trenching and poly pipe burial.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM