Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,262
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, FireIsHot, TEC, shooterlurespond, 4CornersPuddle), 1,022 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dyrne Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys. I recently had someone come out that specializes in building ponds and lakes to get a quote for 320' dam and to dig out a pond between 1 and 2 acres. They are telling me that it is a good site, good watershed on three sides, everything good but the price they are quoting of over 40,000 dollars to do it right is surprising. All the materials for the dam would be taken from the surrounding land on the farm.

I was hoping for some feedback on this from the forum. Their position is basically that they can build a dam cheaply but to build a proper one that directs all the runoff up to the pond is this price.

Last edited by dyrne; 05/15/15 09:41 AM.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Welcome Dyrne,

That seems really high.

Did they give you an idea of how many cubic yards the dam would be? Ballpark cost is $3/yard

What kind of equipment they would be using? Scrapers,dozers, excavators?

Any piping system included in that cost? Siphon, Bottom drain?

What is the soil like? Lots of rock, clay, sand?

Does that include removing the trees and then dealing with all the rootballs?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Get some other estimates, so you can compare. I would talk to my neighbors who have ponds, and my county extension office, to see who they would recommend.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
Wow, that sounds high. My 2 acre pond 12 foot deep cost 12,000$. Started from scratch. Clearing pine sapling thicket and no creek. No dirt hauled in or out from my property. You may not need watershed from all 3 sides. Once you reach pool it's just going out the spillway anyway. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
dyrne Offline OP
OP Offline
I haven't gotten the formal quote yet that breaks everything down but was essentially told that it wouldn't be less than this. It was pretty discouraging to be honest... Based on what you guys have said I'll definitely get some competing quotes and post once I have some details on what is going into the 40-50k estimate they gave me.

J
J
How tall is the dam going to be?

If the dam is of any significant size, that's probably where the majority of the costs since it is 320 feet long. It also sounds like the current land is completely flat from my understanding of your post.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Depending on the amount of dirt moved 40K for 1.5 ac is not excessive if the pond does not leak when it is completed. For dug ponds 14ft-18ft deep expect 2-3K per 0.1 ac. A leaky 1.5 ac pond can cost another 40K to fix it. Make sure you use an excellent pond builder who knows his soil compaction methods. Check his references, talk to his pond ccustomers and look as some of his built ponds.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/15/15 10:49 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
dyrne Offline OP
OP Offline
I've got a feeling that the contractor would actually be a good choice. I just have a bit of sticker shock after hearing their rough guess on cost. This image might clarify a little bit. The pond would actually be in the bottom land between the hills. I've included an image here. The dam itself might need to be fairly high (I don't have the numbers in front of me but under 25') since we are wanting to take advantage of the dam to connect the hills and put a level driveway across.

Line represents roughly the location of the dam:
http://ibin.co/21pNesATPEGE

Last edited by dyrne; 05/15/15 11:27 AM.
S
S
40k for a 320 foot length Dam over 20' high is fair price for an experienced pond builder that is reputable.

Lots of factors in this but the price is not out of the ballpark with the limited data we have. Now realistically you could at 20% up or down dependent on:

1.) who supplies piping
2.) who is clearing the land
3.) Soil type and amount of rock
4.) Grass included or not included
5.) Distance from contractor, amount of equipment they have
6.) Soil distance from Dam
7.) Compaction methods

Last edited by Swiss; 05/15/15 08:28 PM.

2.5 Acre Pond
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
i agree....more bids will help provide answers...seems pretty high

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Originally Posted By: Swiss
40k for a 320 foot length Dam over 20' high is fair price for an experienced pond builder that is reputable.

Lots of factors in this but the price is not out of the ballpark with the limited data we have. Now realistically you could at 20% up or down dependent on:

1.) who supplies piping
2.) who is clearing the land
3.) Soil type and amount of rock
4.) Grass included or not included
5.) Distance from contractor, amount of equipment they have
6.) Soil distance from Dam
7.) Compaction methods

Guaranteed not to leak or it is his dime to fix it!

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/15/15 09:11 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Friend had a .75 acre pond 18' max depth constructed for $8,500 last year I consulted on for him with local engineer. Pricing depends on many factors, but compared to this project, your quote obviously seems high.

One thing I would absolutely demand is proper compaction with sheepsfoot roller...add at least 18" clay on sides and entire basin in 6" lifts - compact layer then add another. Contractors for some reason around here are reluctant to employ this step - which baffles me. More time in the seat - cost of job increases along with their margins.

All the pond construction contractors I've met do not like being told their business...I consult with several local guys, and their initial responses were all the same. Now we've done some projects together, they understand - it's my customer's way or the highway. Mike Otto has taught us all well - do it right the first time, or double the original cost chasing leaks that may never be fixed.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
I recommend calling Micheal Gray - he's a Pond Boss contributor who just penned a great article in newest PB magazine issue. He's not only an expert craftsman, but a downright solid guy I'm grateful to have as a buddy. Can't miss!

GRAY CONSTRUCTION
Gray Construction
Specializing in lake and pond construction and repair, as well as road construction. Serving Tennessee, southern Kentucky and northern Alabama.

Address:Columbia, TN
Phone:(615) 308-5752
Fax:(615) 595-2308
Email:mgrayconstruction@yahoo.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

M
M
There are a lot of things to consider, and most of them have been covered. Size of dam, pipe, clearing, topsoil, on and on You are just getting started take your time and have some fun---Keep us posted.
Stay on the forum--there is no better place to get information than here.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/17/15 05:00 PM. Reason: spell correct
L
L
I used to get three quotes on all projects before beginning to make informed decisions on large projects. Sometimes it is fun to hear one contractor talk smack about another they know. Usually I let them know I am getting competitive quotes so they have the opportunity to cut some fluff out. I also let them know it isn't cost alone That will be the decision.

This worked well for our windows, siding, and roof.

The only place where this broke down was with our pond. We went word of mouth and low cost and two quotes. The first bidder had a really high price, but thought we wanted the full package of seeded dam, and more than an acre in an area it would barely fit. He scared us off since the price was higher than our budget allowed.

We went with the local word of mouth hole digger instead, and wound up with almost the same price, and no compaction, smaller pond, and leaky.

I think about spending that extra money with the other contractor often. I wish I found this site first to know that! Being here alone is a step in the right direction.

Get at least one more quote, and seme cost breakdowns. That is a lot of money but with ponds you really do get what you pay for. Nothing costs your sleep and anxiety like a pond the wont stay full.

Gosh editing on tablets is awful. Please excuse my poor English. It is not worth the effor to fix on these rotten things.

Last edited by liquidsquid; 05/18/15 05:55 AM.
dyrne Offline OP
OP Offline
I appreciate all the comments. Just an update, I started construction last week after finding a guy that works for a straight hourly rate for whatever equipment he will be running at the time. So far he seems experienced and very fair. I guess I will find out what the final cost ends up being.

Last edited by dyrne; 06/26/15 11:17 AM.
F
F
As suggested by Otto above, keep on reading the forum threads and stay in touch with the folks here. It could save you a lot of grief later when your guy is gone and it wasn't done right. Then you'll say, "if I had only known!!!". Don't know what you know, but as you throw up pics here, people will give you some great advice on whether it looks right or not. Sure, you will need to sift thru them and take what you feel is "right".

Have fun, learn a lot, and be cautious...

S
S
Getting quotes for completed projects is generally accepted as the best and most sure way of doing things.

One problem with that method, is the contractor always has to build in padding in the quote for running into unforseen problems. This often makes a quoted fixed price job come out higher than what can be done by an hourly rate quoted job.

I personally like to just find a contractor I have confidence in to be honest and competent. As long as he is both of those things, then I know he will treat me right in the job he does. And he does not have to pad the quote to cover the unexpected. If the unexpected happens then it is on my problem and tab. A good operator should be able to give a pretty good "ballpark" estimate in the beginning of the project.

Both ways of doing business have advantages and disadvantages. I personally like taking on the risk of the project myself rather than paying up front for the cost of protection for the contractor taking on the risk. Personal preference and ability to handle risk of project budget overruns.

Last edited by snrub; 06/26/15 12:26 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dyrne
I appreciate all the comments. Just an update, I started construction last week after finding a guy that works for a straight hourly rate for whatever equipment he will be running at the time. So far he seems experienced and very fair. I guess I will find out what the final cost ends up being.

Be careful buddy! Like some of the guys out here say. There are dirt movers and then there are pond builders! The 2 are very different!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree, building a pond is much different that cutting grade, pushing timber, etc.

Pond builders have to know soil, soil mixtures, local soils, coring, compaction, run off areas, etc.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Seems high to me. I paid 30K 5 yrs ago for a 1200' dam, clearing 3.5 acres of trees. Max depth 20'. They pushed clay the entire time.

dyrne Offline OP
OP Offline
Figured I owed you guys an update. All the rain really pushed back the work on this but here is where I am at now. When we started digging it was pretty much just a huge bowl of clay. Once they build the (4:1) slope away from the pond up the drivable flat area on the dam should be at least twice the current width I think. I'm pretty pleased so far with everything but I'll feel better when I see some water in there.

Pic:

Last edited by dyrne; 08/15/15 09:40 AM.
R
R
Just wondering what contractor you went with and what the deciding factors were?

dyrne Offline OP
OP Offline
Went with Rick Porter at R&D Railroad construction in Grayson KY. He came recommended from someone in the area that had just had a pond built.

Gave me flat rates for each piece of equipment he would use. I was more comfortable with this approach than the quotes I was receiving from other contactors -felt like we had more flexibility depending on what we encountered.

Getting 4-5 quotes was helpful if for no other reason than after the first few I felt like I had a bit more knowledge about what to ask and listen for when talking to the contactors.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Nice good job dyrne keep the pics coming I want to see the end result!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by FishinRod - 05/05/24 10:52 AM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM
Oxygenator equipment advice