Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Big old pond, went through tough times with the drought of 2012. Caught some LMB and two (2) BG in 2013. I don't think that I got a single bite all of last year. Saw no small fry around the edges, no BG spawning beds like I used to.

Wife and I went out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. Caught five LMB, two hot dog size, the other three 3-4 pounds. Three crappie, two of which were about 12 inch, the biggest ones we've ever caught in this pond and one palm sized BG.
While I am relieved that there are still fish in this pond, I'm still concerned about forage.
What can I do to increase the forage that will get a chance to reproduce and not go right down the throat of a LMB or crappie?

Hey Bullhead,

What do you have for vegetation and structure? Please provide a few pond details like size and depth. What are your goals?

I am sure the experts will need at least that basic info to give opinions.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/07/15 03:30 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
It's 12 to 15 acres. It might be 10 feet deep in some areas but most of it is probably 4 to 6. Being that shallow it has about every type of vegetation imaginable, FA, pond weed, coontail, lily pads, cat tails on the shallow end.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Adding adult bluegill, but that might get expensive in a pond that size.

Lunker
Lunker
Once it warms up a bit do some seine surveys, if you need help let me know.

I agree with Shorty, a better sampling of fish that are there should be helpful. Hopefully, some of the PBF experts will be along to bring some of their experience to the qustion.

Originally Posted By: Bullhead
Wife and I went out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. Caught five LMB, two hot dog size, the other three 3-4 pounds. Three crappie, two of which were about 12 inch, the biggest ones we've ever caught in this pond and one palm sized BG.

So you have plenty of good fish. Sounds like you have a good fishery already but, if you want to add forage.....

In that case, IMHO, with all that vegetation, I would add papershell crawfish (if you dun already have crawfish), grass shrimp and a whole bunch of GSH.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/08/15 06:51 AM.

[Linked Image]
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
My fear is that the predators are living off the predators. If Lion King II has taught us anything, it's that this is not sustainable. The whole circle of life thing you know.

How is your water clarity and color? Do you see any small fish in the shallows?

My questions are to try to get an idea of the health of the bottom of your forage food chain, the plankton. IMHO Without a good base there, your new spawn BG, etc will have a poor survival rate.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/08/15 03:17 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Richard

Stock adult BG. I have some for you. You need females.

Take up Steve on seining offer. I'd also suggest considering adult GSH stocking - largest you can source. I have access to adults 4-6" just need to make some calls. Let me know - happy to help. This will relieve some pressure off your BG. Consider placing a feeder to help BG growth.

Pond is old and eutrophied - I suspect you have plenty of organic material/nutrient loads to pull off phytoplankton and zooplankton blooms - so I think you're ok there.

I wonder if your neighbors are placing significant pressure on BG by heavy harvest?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I doubt that the neighbors are putting too much pressure on the bluegills. One neighbor fishes for crappie a couple of times in the spring and other than that I just very rarely see anyone out there.

I think the problem all stems from 2012 when it lost probably at least half of its water.

I can't imagine trying to seine it. It's so big, mucky, weedy and there are no obvious points or narrow spots to corner the fish.
Still it can be a lot of fun to cruise around in my $100 boat and fish it, so I'd like to bring it back and keep it healthy.

I'll contact the usual suspects and look for the largest BG and GSH available.

Lunker
Lunker
I have some BG for you - unless you prefer to pay for them. I'm happy to help supplement your order - I'm collecting fish this Spring just in case I needed to help a buddy out. You're a buddy.

My friend owns a MN hatchery who makes runs to KS often where the nearest GSH hatcheries are. Let me know if I can help and ask him to grab some on the next run.

Lastly - I have a fyke net that would help provide a sample of fish. Pretty easy to deploy from a boat. Scott and I used it on my place a few times - did pretty well.

Here to help, let me know.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'll take whatever blue gills you can spare and see what you can find out about the shiners.
I'll call you later to see if we can set up a fyke net excursion, though I'm not sure how the results would affect what we do.
Maybe as a way of thanks I can bring my Cat over some day and knock over a tree or dig a hole.

Lunker
Lunker
I'll keep collecting, I'll select all females for you, that's what you need. I'll call my guy on the GSH and see what we can do.

Fyke net is here for you anytime you want. It's a great sampling tool.

You don't owe me anything - you are family - I'm happy to help. If you are looking to play on the equipment, however, you bet I could use a hole someday.

Keep in touch...we'll set up whatever you need, amigo. Will let you know on GSH. Feed your BG!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy