I have a half-acre pond in central Missouri, 15 feet at its deepest point, with lots of flooded cedars and hardwoods. Not much plant growth, yet, except for some rushes along the dam. I stocked it in spring 2012 with fatheads and golden shiners, and in fall 2012 with redear, bluegill, largemouth bass, yellow perch, and a few channel cats and hybrid stripers. I've been feeding by hand from March through early November.

The ice went out first week of March this year, and within three days, bluegill and redear were swarming in the shallows. I fed them for a couple of days before the LM showed up. The bluegill now have to fight the LM for chow.

I tied on a spinnerbait one day last week and made a few casts off the dam. Soon one of my original-stock LM hit it. I measured it: Almost 17 inches, and as chunky as a shad-fed reservoir bass. That's it for molesting them this spring. I've been C&Ring just one every spring and fall, just to make sure they are all right.

Haven't seen any hybrids or YP since 2013.

Now, to the point of all this: Three of my CCs showed up for feeding today, for the first time this year. They didn't take chow off the surface, but that can't be far off. Spring is definitely here.

I made the mistake of putting 25 regular CCs and three albinos in the pond. Now I wish I'd only put in the albinos. I ought to catch some of the regular CCs for dinner--but there's a problem. They're my pets! I've practically got them named.

Forgive me if I made the same observation last year. I hope everyone has a good spring.

Last edited by Missouri Bill; 04/01/15 05:09 PM.