Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,986
Posts558,204
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
8 members (Theo Gallus, Augie, DPSMESA, Bing, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Knobber, Rick O), 931 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#404661 03/20/15 03:23 PM
J
Jessup Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster, excellent forum... This winter we finally moved into a new home that has pond. Since it was frozen over and covered in snow I didn't really know the condition of it but now that things are warming up I'm starting to see I have a lot of work to do... eek

Approx 3/4 of an acre in size, round in shape with a small island in the middle, no more than 8ft deep but averages 3-4 i'd say.. The pond used to have an aeration system but somewhere along the way the pump must have failed because the cabinet is empty (to my surprise). I'd like to get a new setup and I've been trying to read as much as I can about systems. I THINK I've narrowed it down to these two but would love all your expert advise!!!

Airmax PS30
Matala 120 - MPC-120C1-KIT

One is better than the other? Any other brands I should be considering or stay away from? I want something quality but since this if my first Pond I just don't feel like I know enough to make a good decision yet.

Appreciate the consideration!

Jessup #404666 03/20/15 03:58 PM
Hey Jessup,

Glad to see you pull the trigger on a post...

I have had my PS30 for a year know and have no complaints. I wish I had gone with the larger air hose option though. I went with the 3/8 cause it was less expensive so the system runs at just a little bit higher pressure than I would like, about 13 psi. The diffusers are easy to assemble and install. I pulled mine in with a double rope arrangement. My compressor unit is also located in my pump house so I removed the housing cover. The pump house is well ventilated so I unplugged the ventilating fan as it was just a waste of electric (15W).

There are several good brands, and maybe less expensive ones. I am sure other folks will be along to offer opinions on theirs.

Welcome to PBF,

Bill D

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/20/15 03:59 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Jessup #404688 03/20/15 07:55 PM
J
Jessup Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the reply Bill. Great feedback on the 3/8 line. I'll look into going larger on the hose...

Question for you on the PS30, How secure is the cabinet? Not that I am overly concerned about theft but having a lock on it would make me feel better about making the investment and it looks like plastic from what I can tell.

One thing that caught my eye about the Matala was it seemed to include everything in the kit including a steal cabinet but again I'm not sure how they stack up quality wise? Seemed to be about $500 cheaper vs the Airmax as well but price is not what I am most concerned about...

The Matala web page is horrible but I found this link that has a good visual of what's all included in the kit:

http://www.azponds.com/New_webpages/New_lake_air_pumps.html?select=2

Jessup #404693 03/20/15 08:13 PM
If yer worried about somebody walking off with it, they could. Disconnect the air lines and walk away with it. But I am thinking that is pretty much true of any of them if you put them out there and nobody is around. If somebody is determined to steal something, they will. The housing on this one appears to be a fiberglass fiber layup composite to me, very sturdy, maybe a phenolic resin. Not flimsey or cheap construction at all. I have no concerns on the robustness of the housing. The unit is very well constructed. They did not cut any corners that I have found. Everything is top quality.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/20/15 09:07 PM.

[Linked Image]
Jessup #404800 03/21/15 04:45 PM
I was down at the pond today so I took a closer look at the housing. I am revising my guess on the material used in construction. It appears to be a molded resin to me, perhaps a phenolic - Not a fiberglass fiber layup.

[Linked Image]
Jessup #404808 03/21/15 06:06 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
When it comes to aeration, Vertex is hands down the best designed, most effective and longevity is unmatched. Personally, I use nothing but the best quality for brakes and tires on my vehicles, and the same goes with aeration, feeders and feed for my ponds....I don't take chances when lives are involved, mine or a fish.

Jessup #404817 03/21/15 07:26 PM
Good input Rainman. I bought my system before I found PBF so was winging it. What is it you dun like about the Airmax system so I can watch out for it?

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/21/15 08:24 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Jessup #404905 03/22/15 01:20 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Bill, I have no hands on knowledge of the Airmax, yet from what I have seen on eBay and of some specs I have read, they use lower quality/CFM pumps, hose and diffusers....I wouldn't say they are "bad", just that dollar for dollar, you will get more life and performance out of better systems. Sort of like buying a Glock, or Hi-Point pistol...both will shoot great when first used, but the glock will do it round after round, with even poor care for years.... a hi-point may blow up in your hand after only a few hundred rounds...

As for hose size, I would suggest nothing smaller than 1/2"...5/8" self weighted will save you a TON of headaches when needing to work on or move a diffuser. When installing aeration, you often have the mindset that you will never touch the diffusers again, or that they are easy to lift and clean...neither is the case. Black poly lines and weights attached to them are a HUGE PITA when they kink or get buried in the pond sediments.

Last edited by Rainman; 03/22/15 01:25 PM.

Jessup #404908 03/22/15 01:46 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO the airmax diffusers will be prone to clogging depending on conditions. If you use them plan to clean them spring and fall. Airmax pump is a linear pump and typically these pumps are do not have good psi for ponds deeper than 8ft. Make sure the pump can be rebuilt with an available rebuild kit. Air flow (cfm) of linear pumps is often not up to 4cfm where it should be for a good pond aerator. Since your pond has an island, this acts as a water circulation baffle and often requires more diffusers to get all pond locations to receive circulated water. Ponds with islands are difficult to get them well circulated with one or two diffusers. The sections of the pond that are shallower than 4 to maybe 5ft will not need to be actively mixed (with a diffuser) because with some wind exposure these areas will often be naturally circulated. Wind sheltered pond in wooded areas do not mix well naturally.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/22/15 01:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
IMO the airmax diffusers will be prone to clogging depending on conditions. If you use them plan to clean them spring and fall. Airmax pump is a linear pump and typically these pumps are do not have good psi for ponds deeper than 8ft. Make sure the pump can be rebuilt with an available rebuild kit. Air flow (cfm) of linear pumps is often not up to 4cfm where it should be for a good pond aerator. Since your pond has an island, this acts as a water circulation baffle and often requires more diffusers to get all pond locations to receive circulated water. Ponds with islands are difficult to get them well circulated with one or two diffusers. The sections of the pond that are shallower than 4 to maybe 5ft will not need to be actively mixed (with a diffuser) because with some wind exposure these areas will often be naturally circulated. Wind sheltered pond in wooded areas do not mix well naturally.

Bill C.,

I think you are talking about their shallow water series. The PS30 is in their pond series. Big differences. For example the PS30 use a 1/3 HP rocking piston pump, output is 4.5 CFM and max operating pressure of 35 psi. It also uses PTFE (Teflon) coated membrane sticks they are advertising as maintenance free.

Bill D

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/22/15 02:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Jessup #404920 03/22/15 03:36 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Just about everything develops growth under water. Diatoms grow and tightly adhere to glass underwater which is how periphyton can be collected for environmental studies.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Just about everything develops growth under water. Diatoms grow and tightly adhere to glass underwater which is how periphyton can be collected for environmental studies.

Makes sense. When I have reason to pull up the diffusers, I will try to remember to take a couple of pics to post back as a data point for teflon coated sticks.

[Linked Image]
Jessup #404929 03/22/15 05:55 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Growth on the teflon sticks will be dependent on water clarity. The more turbid the water the less green growth will be on the diffuser. Silt and sediment will collect on the deep water diffusers especially when the diffusers are off.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
Using Advanced Search Function
by Knobber - 05/04/24 07:04 AM
RENOVATION TO A POND FILLING IT WITH CONCRETE
by blueyss - 05/04/24 05:07 AM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by FishinRod - 05/03/24 11:45 PM