Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,108
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,558
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sryously, esshup, Fishingadventure, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, John Fitzgerald, DPSMESA, Pat Williamson), 1,162 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Online Content
P
Cecil
If just chlorine your right about aeration but most water around here has things in it that won't evaporate out as quick or at all

Pat W

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pre, I once, a lifetime ago, spent about 4 years enjoying the Phoenix area as a ward of Uncle Sam. I remember, even back then, a lot of laws regarding water usage. You might want to check on them to see if you can drill a well for other that home and lawn usage.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/10/14 10:46 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Pre, I once, a lifetime ago, spent about 4 years enjoying the Phoenix area as a ward of Uncle Sam. I remember, even back then, a lot of laws regarding water usage. You might want to check on them to see if you can drill a well for other that home and lawn usage.

Thanks for the precaution Dave. I spoke to the Tucson department for that today over the phone, and my understanding was that a well can be drilled and used to irrigate land (crops, pond) as long as the area receiving non-household use is less than 1.99 square acres and you don't use more than 10 acre-feet of water from the well in a year. There's no additional red tape other than the simple notice needed for the well in the first place.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Just curious because I haven't been to AZ for anything over hunting since the 60's. In the areas out side of town there were a lot of government built canals for farming use. Are any of those close to you?

I had inlaws who lived outside of Buckeye. What passed for a river went through their land and they had water rights from the river. That river was generally about 6 inches deep and 8 ft wide. However, when heavy rains and snow melt from up North came, the river was 1/2 mile wide. They once lost a pretty good sized dozer that was never found and wound up somewhere under the sand.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: Preponderous
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Preponderous

Before you use city water a well would be less costly in the long run because of the gallonage you would likely need not to mention having to de chlorinate that much water.

Pat W

Don't give up yet. The smart guys are waiting for us dummies to give them a laugh or three.

Yeah my math was wrong, and I believe you're right - a well is the only thing that could support such a pond. Doh!

I like the idea of a well anyway, and one of the properties we are looking at does have a well at one end. Getting more information about it.

So if you do the math on a 1/10 acre pond and assume 1 inch a day water loss, that's about 113 GPH. So your well would need at least that capacity. The big IF is whether 1 inch a day loss is a reasonable assumption for Tucson.

My thought is maybe you want to find out much water is going to realistically be available, a realistic water loss number and then work backwards through the equation to see how big a pond that can support.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/11/14 10:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm surprised there aren't any water restrictions out there for nonessential uses. Both well and municipal.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

PR,
Maybe a call to one of your local swimming pool design/construction companies might provide useful info on evaportion rates, etc.

[Linked Image]
L
L
Seems like an opportunity for one of those natural pools.

I would think shade over the water would be a requirement to keep evaporation down and prevent roasting the fish. Shade could be accomplished through plantings, sun-screen covers, timber, etc. Also floating islands would reduce temperature swings of the water and lower evaporation as well as many other benefits to the pond/swimming area.

One problem is evaporation cooling can be quite significant in a dry climate. I am not sure if that make fish management difficult or not.

My guess is to be reasonable is to keep it 1/10 acre, it can be better managed in your climate.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Preponderous,

First, welcome to Pondboss.

For raising fish in a small Arizona pond, start with this thread: Mind-Blowing Fish from Pond Boss Member

And this one is old enough that the photos have been lost. But the text and comments will give you some ideas of what can be done in the desert. Spring time with a couple of bluegill.

Maybe one of the other oldtimers can find more links about what our old friend AaronM was doing in Phoenix. As I recall, there was a long article about Aaron's Phoenix fish raising in Pond Boss Magazine a few years back. I think it was probably written by Bruce Condello and/or Bob Lusk. As I recall it had a lot of info about how he did it, and it had lots of pictures from Aaron's back yard and his fish. If we can find the issue, it would be worth your effort to get a copy of that magzine from the Pond Boss office.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
PR,
Maybe a call to one of your local swimming pool design/construction companies might provide useful info on evaportion rates, etc.

I think that is a GREAT idea! Especially for the evaporation rates.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
OP Offline
P
ARIZONA MONTHLY AVERAGE PAN EVAPORATION (INCHES)

| PERIOD OF RECORD |

JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC

TUCSON UNIV OF ARIZONA | 1894-2005 |
3.25 4.57 6.95 9.88 12.87 14.91 13.17 11.65 10.35 7.81 4.73 3.37
ANNUAL 103.51

TUCSON U OF ARIZ # 1 | 1982-2005 |
3.94 4.68 7.53 10.57 14.14 16.51 14.61 12.17 10.71 8.05 4.93 3.23
ANNUAL

from http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westevap.final.html

Excellent! Based on that data you biggest evaportion occurs in June at around 1/2 inch per day so I would size for that with a little padding, assuming pan evaporation and BOW evaporation rates are comparable. I don't know if they are or are not. Factors like wind make a difference? Do you guys even have much wind?

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/12/14 06:50 PM.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
BOW evap is usually more than pan evap unless it's a rubber lined pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
OP Offline
P
Excellent! Based on that data you biggest evaportion occurs in June at around 1/2 inch per day so I would size for that with a little padding, assuming pan evaporation and BOW evaporation rates are comparable. I don't know if they are or are not. Factors like wind make a difference? Do you guys even have much wind?

"A more technical definition for desert is an area where potential evapotranspiration (the potential combined evaporation from plants and soil) is much greater than precipitation (rain, etc.). Potential evapotranspiration (PET) can be estimated by measuring how much water evaporates from a wide pan and multiplying by 60%. A pan in Tucson will evaporate 100" of water, yet Tucson only receives 12" of rain on average (see Tucson climate statistics)! Thus Tucson's PET would be 60". Scientists use an aridity index (PET/Precipitation) to compare the aridity of different places. Tucson's aridity index is 5 (60"/12"), Yuma's is 30, and other deserts may reach 600! Aridity indices above about 3 are sufficient to produce deserts."

from http://wc.pima.edu/Bfiero/tucsonecology/climate/climate_home.htm

Looks like you are doing that all important "homework" my friend. So based on the info you have so far, what are your thoughts?

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Looks like you are doing that all important "homework" my friend. So based on the info you have so far, what are your thoughts?

Well, first we have to get the land, with the consideration that we do want to put a pond on there (however modest) and that it seems possible still.

Right now we are working with an agent and looking over a 5 acre parcel in Marana outside of Tucson. Everything looks good so far, it's not in a flood zone or wash area (so the pond won't get blown out), the zoning is right, no deed restrictions preventing us from doing what we want on it, etc. It's a little farther from town than I wanted (about 35-40 minutes instead of a half hour - those pesky 10 minutes DO make a difference) but that aside it looks like a good candidate to support our goals and the price is right. Waiting on some more paperwork and due diligence, then closing, hopefully.

This property is raw land, so the first thing to do will be to setup shop and see how the land works. Once we get a good sense of our land, it will be time to plan the location of the well and get it drilled. Then comes the pond, garden, chicken coop, etc. Lots of planning, lots of steps, lots of work to do. I like stuff like this. Looking forward to it!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I once heard that when you live in the country you don't have to go anywhere. You're already there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:38 PM
How much feed?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:36 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 07:15 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:09 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/01/24 05:52 PM
What did you do at your pond today?