Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,008
Posts558,433
Members18,526
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,597
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
6 members (DrewSh, Boondoggle, Pat Williamson, Ben Davis, FishinRod, Ponderific2024), 1,075 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#378320 05/31/14 11:06 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I know it's a long shot, but are there any grant programs out there to help private pond owners with repairs? I've contacted the local NRCS, Soil and Water and ODNR for help. I'm come close to qualifying for a grant program, as I believe my damage was storm related...however the official believes it would be a long shot.

I figured I would ask here before I start the process of removing the dam of my pond, as the repairs for a drain are out of my budget, as my pond is state regulated.

I'm in Ohio, if that helps...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
In what way is your pond state regulated? My first thought is if it is state controlled, they would help with repair. My second thought is I can't imagine a Dam removal being less than a drain repair.

Can you provide more details?

F
F
RM- here is a link to some of his scenario.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373798&page=1

I agree, it seems like there should be another solution besides total removal. But I would think researching a grant idea is at least worth looking into as an option, if it is.

C
OP Offline
C
I've spent hours looking into any sort of grant and have come up empty. All of the conservation agencies have nothing as well.

Unfortunately, everything keeps coming back to dam removal, and I'm not happy about that.

F
F
Would your insurance be an avenue?

C
OP Offline
C
I'll have to ask, but I highly doubt it. They will probably say that it is due to the age of the pipe, where I now believe it is from a severe flooding event that we had last year. It maxed out the 12" pipe for several hours.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
How tall is your dam? Looking at some jurisdictional info in Ohio, there are no fees or active regulation of a class IV dam (under 25' tall and less than 50 acre-feet of water storage. I believe I would install a siphon that withdraws an even larger volume than the existing pipe, pump in the 3 cubic yards of grout into the old pipe and call it done.

Unless your dam is a class I, II, or III, I saw no requirement for an engineer. Also, if you are higher than a class IV, you would need an EAP (Emergency Action Plan).

The following PDF from ODNR's DSWR says low interest loans are available for repairs as well. The PDF also talks about 2 siphon systems being installed in large dam repairs.

http://damsafety.org/media/Documents/STATE_INFO/DamSafetyReport2010.pdf

C
OP Offline
C
I am a class III dam since my dam height is registered at 26.5 feet. They told me the only reason they are classifying me as a class 3 is the proximity to the local road. They are afraid of the road becoming flooded, if the dam were to disappear...

So yes, I'm regulated, to become a Class IV, my dam height must be lower than 10ft tall.

Seeing as my pond is less than 20ft deep, I would have a mud puddle by going to a class IV dam, and still need a siphon system.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
10ft? Newer rule? It says "under 25ft" in that 2010 ODNR link.....Shave off 2 feet of freeboard.

I know how frustrating it becomes when disinterested bureaucrats have a say... frown

Either way, even at a class III, a siphon that removes more than double your current 12" pipe's water volume and filling the existing pipe with grout/concrete, (or even removal/repairing the erosion) should be way under $20.

Would the inspector consider allowing the installation of a siphon as part of a "temporary" EAP measure till more funds can be available? Removing the dam would be bound to seriously decrease your overall property value....

Last edited by Rainman; 06/01/14 01:36 PM.

C
OP Offline
C
Not sure when the rule was put in place, but it must be under 10 ft for me to get to a Class IV

Dealing with the ODNR is really getting on my nerves. Takes over a week for a simple email return and then it contains no useful information.

I would have to hire an engineering firm or a PE to design, draw and perform calculations to justify the change of the drain. Plus, the materials can't be PVC when you are regulated. It has to be the high dollar HDPE stuff.

I didn't ask about a temporary, because I'm really sick of spending a lot of time and money on this pond at the moment. I want it fixed or taken out. Since no agency seems to want to assist with the fix part, I am starting to head down the road of remove.

I don't know how much it would decrease my property value. Whatever it would decrease, it would be less than the cost to fix the drain I'd have to guess.

F
F
Originally Posted By: cold1313

Dealing with the ODNR is really getting on my nerves. Takes over a week for a simple email return and then it contains no useful information.

Perhaps when a dozer shows up, they will be there within the hour. cry

Maybe you can work the angle of "the pond slows down the flow that goes under the road in heavy rains, and they need to help fix it for safety's sake" otherwise, you will take it out and let them deal with larger the culverts that will be needed under the road.

Would you need permits to take the dam out?

C
OP Offline
C
Unfortunately the culvert under the road is 4 or 5 foot in diameter. So, I wont win that argument.

I wont need permits per say, but I do need a PE (Professional Engineer) to draft the plan and need ODNR to approve it before a bulldozer touches any dirt.

Stupid, I know.

$1500 will remove the dam. Already got a quote.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
FOOTCUSH, MikeyBoy, rick fisherman
Recent Posts
Feeding Fish
by Boondoggle - 05/12/24 11:53 AM
Nested Mallards
by DrewSh - 05/12/24 10:48 AM
Frustrated
by liquidsquid - 05/12/24 08:59 AM
BG sex?
by tim k - 05/12/24 07:01 AM