Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,004
Posts558,410
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,596
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lina, tim k, FireIsHot, FishinRod, andrew davis, Brian from Texas), 1,087 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376328 05/14/14 10:14 AM
C
OP Offline
C
1.2 Acre pond, aerated with a Kasco 2HP aerator on 24/7 since 5/1. Aerator was ramped up over a 10 day period. Owned the property for 2 years, pond seems to be fairly fertile with lots of plant growth. Added the Kasco aerator after a DO crash last summer while trying to get a handle on the plant growth.

On 5/10/14 we removed several garden trailer loads of matted algae from the shoreline before treating about a 1/3 of the shoreline with Cutrine Plus. The treatment consisted of 8oz of Cutrine Plus mixed with several gallons of water. 2 days later walking the bank I pulled out 3 dead BG. The next day 3 dead BG, 1 GC and 1 CC and this morning 3 more dead BG. Most of the dead look like they may have been dead for a day or more based on color and the fact some are already partially eaten.

We wanted to try to get ahead of the Algae and plants this year based on our experience last year. Is there any chance the small area we treated with Cutrine somehow killed the fish? The weather has been overcast and a bit cool for the last week.

Thoughts/suggestions? Pics of a few of the unlucky below.

Kasco 2HP Aerator

Last edited by Charlie B; 05/14/14 11:05 AM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow sorry to hear that Charlie. Did you maybe mix your cutrine wrong? Maybe to strong? With your air running D.O. should not have been a problem. Hopefully someone else can maybe give you some better insight.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
OP Offline
C
I think I was pretty light with the Cutrine Plus. I only applied a few OZ in several gallons of water just along the shoreline to a pond which is over 1 acre. I think based on the application rate I could have used much more. I too thought with the air running I should have very little to worry about, in fact this treatment was just a test run. I planned to do a heavier treatment later.

Could the fact that we have been unseasonably cool with the air running 24/7 cause some other issue, unrelated to the Cutrine treatment?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
You know it's possible. I know fish in AQ tanks don't like water temp changes to be to big! Maybe they were already streesed and it put them over the top. I think I have some fish die and I don't ever see them as I have quite a few turtles that take care of them fairly quick. As long as it stops I would not be to concerned, but if you continue to see more and more then something is not right... Nice looking pond by the way!! Wow that pump is putting out some air baby!! Nice!!

Good Luck and keep us posted,
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
OP Offline
C
I agree, as as long as it doesn't continue I wont worry about it too much... Just wanted to gather the opinion of the experts. Thanks!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well the one thing that concerns me is you have a few types of fish that died. Which is weird.... A few BG ok no big deal, 1 or 2 CC ok but to have BG, CC, and GC all dead?? That's kinda got me wondering what the deal is???

RC

Last edited by RC51; 05/14/14 02:45 PM.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I wouldn't expect that the mixture was too strong for the pond but, possibly, too much vegetation dying too fast using up oxygen. That said, it seems that 4 days would be very quick for a lot of algae death and decomposition.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
C
OP Offline
C
It is a strange situation for sure. I dealt with a DO crash last year after treating 50% of the pond with Reward for Coontail and the other 50% 3 weeks later. After that crash, I installed a 2HP aerator that pumps 5 pounds of oxygen per/hour into the pond. This aerator is running 24/7. I have not witnessed any fish piping at the surface for air. I have a hard time imagining that treating a 10' wide strip along 1/3 of the pond bank with 16 oz of liquid Cutrine Plus in about 8 gallons of water could cause any DO issue, especially considering the amount of aeration running 24/7. But if I am off base please let me know.

Last night I pulled 1 GC, 1 Bass and another 4 BG. One of the BG was in the water moving slowing and one side of his head looked whited under the water. I scoped him out and pics of him are below.

Good side.

Other side same fish.

Any thoughts? Could this be some sort of bacterial infection, that is hard to spot after the fish dies? Many of the fish seem to have wounds on them, but I assumed that's mainly from turtles having a snack before I get to them.

The only good news is that this morning I pulled 0 dead fish from the pond.

Thanks for any and all of your feedback.

Charlie

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Charlie you may be right on the baterial infection?? Maybe Mr. Bill Cody or Eric might have some insight on this with your pictures. If that one was alive and it looked like that on one side that is not from D.O. I wouldn't think. Lack of D.O. (NOT SURE) but I would not think make a fish get all white on one side of its body.. I wish I could give your insight.

Hey Experts anything you can tell us by these pics?? Charle needs a litte help here smile

RC

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bacterial infection is likely. Larger fish are affected. Larger older fish can be more vulnerable. BG do not live forever and become weaker & vulnerable with age.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/15/14 10:02 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks again for the replies... If this is an infection, what are the possible causes and solutions? I also have a family of geese that I have not been able to get off the pond. Could their waste be causing an infection?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Your bacterial infection of fish are more likely due to fish crowding, lack of foods, age, and/or angling stressors than goose manure. Bacterial infections may also be due to other problems rather than the infection itself. We don't really know if the infection is the direct cause or it occurs due to something else? Healthy viable fish do not get infections unless they are exposed to some sort of stress. Fish that are old or weak are forms of stress. Numerous stressors possible.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/15/14 01:04 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
How much feed?
by tim k - 05/11/24 04:55 PM
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/11/24 01:49 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/11/24 11:19 AM
Did I accidentally kill my fish?
by Theo Gallus - 05/11/24 10:15 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FireIsHot - 05/11/24 08:38 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Pat Williamson - 05/11/24 08:01 AM
Aquamax Largemouth for Yellow Perch
by esshup - 05/10/24 11:13 PM
Very sandy soil
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/10/24 08:08 PM
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification