Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,056
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (jpsdad, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 635 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#374374 04/29/14 09:23 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Sunday night’s Kansas tornado decided to enjoy my lake. It went straight down the middle of the property. It is amazing what a tornado can do. This is the first time I have explored tornado damage this close. Luckily we were home 80 miles north when it hit. We were watching the news when they said where it was and showed the tornado live. We got to see it destroy a bunch of my trees.

This is a link of the video of the tornado http://www.kmbc.com/news/Tornado-on-the-ground-in-Linn-County-Kansas/25687422

It went between the GEO dome that is on the west side and the Camper, pontoon boat and building on the east side, not doing much damage to these. The dock is on the east side just out of the tornado path, it received some damage, broke the ramp and a support pole. We had a paddle boat sitting on top of the dock, tied down with nylon ropes. It broke the ropes and I finally found the boat at the other end of the lake. It was floating but not sure how much damage; I will have to take a boat to recover it.
I took pictures but it is difficult to feel the amount of damage from the pictures. It took some areas and cleaned everything down to dirt, not leaves brush or anything.

John

[/URL

Path of Tornado:

[URL=http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Kingrace78/media/lake14b_zps23d5a9e1.png.html]

Last edited by KingRace78; 04/29/14 09:51 AM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Wow glad to hear you were home safely and not too much damage to the pond. Sorry to hear about the dock, boat and trees - but grateful you weren't in the camper Sunday when it came rolling through.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
Just lucky you were not there.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
How are our friends in MS, AL and AR doing?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey TJ we came close to this act of nature! It was 20 miles from my house in North Little Rock and it went right up the path to my cabin in Batesville about 10 miles or so from it! Thank goodness it missed me but I have several co-workers that got hit. 1 or 2 lost their entire house. Can't find their truck??? They are finding stuff from one town in another town 30 miles away.... Not good no good....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
T
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
How are our friends in MS, AL and AR doing?

The one that passed over my house and pond at 3:30 am was not on the ground thankfully. Had some hail damage and a hole in one interior wall. I was running with the little one when I tripped over a stool and stuck the crown of my head into the sheetrock. We where under a severe thunderstorm warning (I was up watching) when the Tornado warning came out with the Tornado 3 miles from my house heading towards us. needless to say I have a sore leg (from stool), Head , neck and back (from wall) this morning. In the end I am blessed to not have suffered what others have had to endure.

R
RER Offline
R
GEEZ....Between the brutal winter storms, dangerous spring weaether systems and hot summers I feel very lucky to live where I do. Ill take a hurricane from time to time, we get weeks notice at least.

hope all make it ok.........

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
OK here but T went by downtown (my office)about 1.5 miles south. It destroyed a bunch of buildings in Richland MS. Another one about 10 miles north of Jackson. Lot of limbs down and some power outages.

KR78 glad you are ok. At least you have some good cedar tree fish structure available if needed.

Last edited by ewest; 04/29/14 11:35 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
John,

Sorry to see this but it looks like it could have been worse as in serious property building damage, injuries etc.

Hey that's one beautiful "pond" although it looks more like a small lake to me. How many acres?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/29/14 11:58 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
MSC Offline
M
Wow, I heard about all the tornadoes that hit. The main thing is that you are OK.

I wonder how many fish got sucked out of your pond and dropped somewhere else?

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Cecil, the lake is about 20 acres of water, the property is 90 acres. I need to figure out how many miles of shoreline it has, that would really describe it's size.
We enjoy it and are really spoiled having such an unique bow.
Thanks, John

K
OP Offline
K
Yeah, I also wonder If I lost any fish. Maybe it took away some of the beavers, Muskrats and herons that hang around.

It dumped a lot of trees into the lake, should I be concerned and try to remove some, or just think of it as more cover?

John

M
MSC Offline
M
Originally Posted By: KingRace78
Yeah, I also wonder If I lost any fish. Maybe it took away some of the beavers, Muskrats and herons that hang around.

It dumped a lot of trees into the lake, should I be concerned and try to remove some, or just think of it as more cover?

John

John, that's wishful thinking, but be assured the beavers, muskrats and herons survived just fine.

But some of your fish might be in your neighbors pond, or far away.

When we got hit by a deadly tornado a few years back they found mail from my county on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. And there were waterspouts reported every place that thing hit water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
KingRace, glad you're OK.

Like Cecil said, that is one sweet, sweet property!!

Lot's of new structure in the water now though....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Glad you are ok....
and that is an extremely cool looking/shaped pond/lake.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm glad that everyone is O.K. Material things can be replaced/rebuilt. I was thru one and it isn't any fun!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
John,

Sorry to see this but it looks like it could have been worse as in serious property building damage, injuries etc.

Hey that's one beautiful "pond" although it looks more like a small lake to me. How many acres?

What we call "strip pits" around here. The remains from coal strip mining from many years ago before land reclaimation became mandatory.

Used to be you could not give that type property away. Now it is highly sought after recreation property that often times will bring as much as prime farm land.

This is a particularly nice property.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
M
MSC Offline
M
That is a very cool looking pond or lake. I can see at least 3 other ponds separated from the main lake.

L
L
Wow, I still love your lake, that is one of the coolest possible setups to have! All those places to explore with a canoe, you could disappear in there!

It is a shame things were damaged, though glad you are OK. It would be very cool to see that damage up close, I am a weather nut. Seeing wind strip dirt off the ground always amazes me.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Crazy! Glad to hear your family is ok. Had to be crazy watching that on tv.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks everyone for the concern. My other projects will be put on hold until I get some of this cleaned up.
I have more pictures out on my Photo Bucket account if you want to see more. : http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Kingrace78/library/

John

T
T
Where did you get that swimming dock? It looks like it assembles square-by-square? Gotta get me one of those!

Glad all are safe,

TPH

--Just pannen for gold--
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Beautiful pond!

We had a tornado hit one of our farms and the main pond that I look after about 15-20 years ago. Several trees, buildings and barns were taken away in my 96 year old grandmother's back yard. She could barely hear it and knew nothing of the tornado that cleared her back yard. She was only missing a few shingles at the house.

We cut the dam and drained the pond to clean up the mess and most everything we got out of the pond, we could see before cutting the dam. Things flew for miles....some letters were found 40 miles away. The next door neighbor rode in her tub for about 500 yards in the air...she just had a few scratches.

I remember when I was in the 3rd grade, the teacher from Kansas said that her uncle was taken off his tractor and was in the tornado for a (few miles I think?) and it sat him down with cuts and scratches. Amazing how things like that happen.

I was near a couple tornadoes yesterday in Wilson, NC....lots of flooding and golf ball size hail. You don't appear to have come out too bad with that one.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Again wow! That dock is cool. Who makes those? Looks idiot proof.

Last edited by John Wann; 04/30/14 03:32 PM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted By: John Wann
Again wow! That dock is cool. Who makes those? Looks idiot proof.

Very pricey. We first considered this option for pond but thought we could do it other ways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB