Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,002
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, esshup, Fishingadventure, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod), 1,324 guests, and 216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#374306 04/28/14 10:27 PM
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
May 2012 - 8 lbs. +

April 2014 - 10 lbs. +

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's awesome jignpig. So obviously the fish was tagged or fin clipped to know it was the same fish?

Looks like you went swimming with the fish in the first picture!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Well done! You certainly have a way with trophy LMB - good to have you around posting - hope you stick around and help lend your expertise to the forum!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work and well conditioned LMB.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
In the first pic, you look like you went Man-To-Man, or Man-To-Fish, with the hog in it's own environment!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In two years it put on a little more than 2 lbs; a little over 1 lb per yr - right at optimum growth for a big bass eating about 10 lbs of forage each yr. It is has been feeding really good. What big forage items are in the pond for a fish this size???.

It is too bad you didn't measure the width across its mouth - the gape. It would be REALLY good to have the gape measurement for a fish this big.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/29/14 04:40 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
In the first pic, you look like you went Man-To-Man, or Man-To-Fish, with the hog in it's own environment!!!

Lol Sunil I kinda thought the same thing but more along the lines of WOW THAT FISH MUST OF WHIPPED HIS @$$$

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
That's awesome jignpig. So obviously the fish was tagged or fin clipped to know it was the same fish?

Looks like you went swimming with the fish in the first picture!

Thanks guys. No tags or clippings. When i identify a bass that shows promise (which i define as over 7 pounds), i make sure i have a good photo of both sides of it. the coloration pattern that makes up a bass' lateral "stripe" does not change. this is an easy way to identify a fish without the hassle/risks of cutting or tagging. in the top photo, these markings aren't very clear, but comparing the two photos, you can see a couple of interesting blotches. one looks like an arrow pointing straight up (by my middle finger top photo) and one that looks like a spade or upside down heart (my index finger is slightly covering this mark in the top photo). both these marks are readily apparent in the second photo.

also a lot of fish will have other special characteristics that stick with them for life and make them easy to identify. for example, you can see that for some reason, a couple of this bass' dorsal spines curve upward slightly for some reason.

as for me looking like a drowned rat in the first pic, there's an interesting story behind that. I love to fish approaching weather fronts. sometimes i cut it a little too close. shortly after i tricked her on a swimbait 2 years ago, the bottom just fell out and i got soaked. the flash actually caught a few raindrops in the pic.

But Bluegillerkiller is absolutely right. She gave a terrific account of herself on both catches and even though i was holding her in the end, i wasn't really sure who had won the battle. Hopefully it will take a few more rounds to decide. gonna get tougher though - looks like she's moving up to the heavyweight division.

Last edited by jignpig; 04/29/14 05:41 PM.
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
In two years it put on a little more than 2 lbs; a little over 1 lb per yr - right at optimum growth for a big bass eating about 10 lbs of forage each yr. It is has been feeding really good. What big forage items are in the pond for a fish this size???.

It is too bad you didn't measure the width across its mouth - the gape. It would be REALLY good to have the gape measurement for a fish this big.

a picture is worth a thousand words. wink

about 2 years ago, i made a decision that has really made all the difference in the world in the pond. well, it was really more out of necessity than choice. i changed jobs and no longer had time to micromanage the pond. so i decided to stock shiner minnows on a regular basis. my goal was twofold - (1) take the heat off the bluegill population which was being decimated by smaller bass that somehow escaped harvest and (2) provide a viable forage source for the bluegill which would help them more quickly reach a size at which only big bass could prey on them. as a fringe benefit (which i will readily admit that i did not fully anticipate) i now have a healthy population of jumbo-sized gills in the pond. win-win!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That is a gorgeous northern male BG.

M
MSC Offline
M
Jignpig, congrats on the great bass. You are right, kinda like fingerprints, LMB all have a unique pattern.

I know exactly what you mean about fishing right before the front hits. It also works for hunting too.

What did you catch that bass on both times? It will be really interesting to see when you get that one again. Keep us informed.

But if you have trophy bass and trophy BGs in your pond, you are doing something right.

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Beautiful male BG. It's colors are impressive. Very nice! You are to be congratulated on your ability to photograph and recognize the unique body pattern features of individual LMB. It takes careful attention to detail to recognize individual features and unique variation of the body patterns of bass. Most anglers think a bass is a bass. Not true as you have aptly explained. Nice work and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/29/14 07:09 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looks like a CNBG too me? Definately male though

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: MSC
Jignpig, congrats on the great bass. You are right, kinda like fingerprints, LMB all have a unique pattern.

I know exactly what you mean about fishing right before the front hits. It also works for hunting too.

What did you catch that bass on both times? It will be really interesting to see when you get that one again. Keep us informed.

But if you have trophy bass and trophy BGs in your pond, you are doing something right.

First time (2 yrs ago) was on a swimbait. second time (earlier this mo.) was on a jig. both are notorious for producing big bass.

One thing that i have used that will easily help with bass ID is a paint tool that most of us have on our computers. starting with a good pic of the fish, look for a noteworthy sample from it's markings, something that might set that particular fish apart. circle or trace any prominent mark or section of marks with the paint tool. here's an example.

this fish has 8 spots in a row, none of which touch the other. it would be unusual to find another one in the pond like that. if you did, you could start looking at the individual spots within that circle and easily tell if it was the same fish or not. you can even give each of your star fish its own folder, tracking its growth.

right or wrong, i have always felt like being able to positively ID and track the fish which have "potential" (to me that means female fish which show a good rate of growth) is a part of managing for big fish. it always helped me figure out which ones i needed to keep around and which ones needed to become part of a fish fry.

Last edited by jignpig; 04/29/14 11:13 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
jnpig - thanks for sharing hints for recognizing individual bass. I will put this thread in the Archives under LMB Culling & Management.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/30/14 08:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/28/24 09:41 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM