Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,012
Posts558,503
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,605
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
8 members (jludwig, Sunil, Jason D, Ortantyun, catscratch, Justin W, e_stallman, Boondoggle), 1,131 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Well, I know this is a very general question- but, I am completely new to this.
I have tried searching the forums to find discussions on this subject but no luck.
I am considering a relocation to east Texas from Colorado.
One of my "wants" is to find a place with a pond. It seems there are always places for sale that would probably suit my needs and wants.
After reading a little in the forum posts, it seems there are so many different "types"
of ponds at least in construction.
What should I be looking for in the purchase of land with a pond?
The water source, I would assume the "best" would be a live spring or creek.
I am not looking for something to work in commercial fish rearing or anything like that.
Just a smallish pond 2-4 acres that can hold some decent warm water fish.
I understand this is probably a really broad topic and there are so many variables. Maybe someone could direct me to a reading list or some resources?
Thanks very much for your time. I am a new registered user and I have been enjoying reading the forums.
-Anthony

Originally Posted By: PoBoy

I am not looking for something to work in commercial fish rearing or anything like that.
Just a smallish pond 2-4 acres that can hold some decent warm water fish.

Hey,

Seems like you aren't much into fishing and fishkeeping but to make everything clear, could you make TOP 3 of reasons why do you need that pond. For example:

1. - for a better view;
2. - for swimming;
3. - for catching few fish once in a month or so.

P
PoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi, Thanks much for the response. Didn't mean to mis represent myself.
I am actually a very avid fisherman. I fish on average three days per week at a local private lake where I am a member. At least during our short bass season. I am not into ice fishing any more. Fishing and enjoying more time outdoors is really one of the main factors in my consideration of relocation. I love Colorado, I have lived here all my life but honestly, it is getting really crowded and my wife and I are getting a little tired of cold and snow. Out of the freezer and into the sauna I suppose.
Anyway, really I do want to have a great fishing pond. My "fantasy" would be to have a pond loaded with pure Florida strain LM and all the other fishes to support a quality little fishery. Actually my "ultimate fantasy" would be a pond loaded with giant Wiper. (Striped/White hybrids)
I know that is likely not a realistic expectation.
Anyway, to answer your question directly:
1-Fishing
2-View
3-Swimming.
Although swimming does not really factor in for me. I guess I would be concerned about cotton mouths. Long story but I had a pretty bad experience with them when I was a kid. At my grand parents pond in central/east Texas.
Also, my good friend and fishing buddy owns a successful fish farm here in Colorado.
He specializes in warm water fish and I know he would be able to assist me in building the pond as a quality fishery.
I just don't really know what to look for when making the property purchase.
I was thinking more about the question I asked after I posted last night-
I would probably need to find an expert that could assess the pond prior to purchase of the property. Maybe an expert could give me a report and tell me if the pond needs attention and if so at what cost.
Funny because I am a Real Estate Appraiser but have not delt with ponds in 18 years in this profession.
I am looking at Cass County Texas, just in case there is someone out there that may work in the area.
A pond is a big factor in our purchase decision of a property and I don't want to make a mistake.
Thanks for your help.
-Anthony

Lunker
Lunker
In Texas I would look at water depth in the pond you are considering buying, the more the better and look at the water shed. Texas has periodic droughts and I would be most concerned about about it drying up during times of drought. I would skip shallow ponds with small water sheds.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
One of the first things to do is purchase, read, reread, and study Bob Lusk's book "Perfect Pond Want One". It goes into detail about purchasing land for a pond, choosing proper soils, design items and lots of topics for the actual construction portion.
All available Pond Boss books:
http://www.pondboss.com/store.asp?c=8

When buying property with a pond, buyer be very aware of lots of potential problems with an existing pond.
1. It can be poorly designed with too much shallow water that leads to many headaches such as to too many unnecessary weed problems where you are always buying & adding chemicals.
2. I would never buy a pond until a chemical test is done on the sediments to determine if they are loaded with herbicides and to a lesser extent pesticides. You don't know what the previous owner did to that pond.
3. A leaky, contaminated pond is a liability not an asset.
4. You have no idea how the pond performs during TX droughts. Drought conditions can cause unusual problems for poorly designed ponds.
5. Streams that 'feed' a pond tend to contribute unwanted 'trash' fish and I would avoid those ponds.
6. Learn the cost of building a pond so you know its value and how much to add or subtract from the price or value of the property based on condition or the unknowns of the pond.
7. An existing pond that has a poor / unbalanced fishery or one that has been angler fish 'raped' before you purchased the pond will likely have to be renovated of old fish and restocked. Start over with your goals in mind. A larger purchased pond should be electroshocked to determine what comprises the fish community. All these things cost money and detract from the price or value of the property. Renovating a pond is not easy, takes time, and it is relatively costly with various types of headaches. Often time is money.

IMO often it is better to buy land conducive to building a pond and then design, build, and manage the perfect pond based on your goals. It is often not a good idea to buy someone else's mistakes. If you do it right you can grow big fish in just 1-2 years in a new pond. It does not have to take several years to grow some quality sized bass and panfish which is what we specialize in here on the Pond Boss Forum. As an example if you first stock forage fish let them reproduce to abundance and then stock quality bass,,, you can grow those bass to 3-5 lbs in one year as proven several times by Greg Grimes (Aquatic Environmental Services GA and other members here.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/27/14 04:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
PoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Wow-
Thanks guy's. I really appreciate the input. I will definitely purchase the book.
And, I think one of the best points made, was not buying someone else's mistake.
Smart-Smart!
My wife and kids and I travel to Port A. Every year for a little vacation (AKA- really long road trip) and always swing back through upper north east Texas. I/we love it.
For the first time though, we have contacted a Real Estate agent and we are looking hard at making a move. At the end of this July, we are going to forego Port A. And spend our time looking at property.
I will have an expertly trained eye (my own) with me in regard to almost everything related to any property in question. But the pond and/or possible placement is a puzzle.
I will educate myself as much as possible but now know, I will need an expert.
So-so much to consider. And my user name says it all. Can't afford to just throw money away.
Thanks again guy's.
More input, for me (and maybe other people looking) to consider is most appreciated.
-Anthony

Anthony, lot's of good advice already given. Also, if you find a piece of property that already has a pond, you can hit Google Earth and go back in history. That can help you see the water fluctuations over the years.

I'm not sure what part of East TX you're looking at, but there are lot's of area's with sugar sand. IMO, looking at a pond in late summer or fall will give you a better idea of it's water holding potential. Right now, lot's of ponds are at or near full around here because of the spring rains. That may not be the case in 4-5 months.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

AL

B
B
Your goal of a pond full of hybrid stripers is very doable, lots of folks on here have them and seem happy with them as a pond fish.

I Subscribe
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Our mentor Bob Lusk is from NE TX just north of Denton (Sadler - Whitesburo). He can be a wealth of information if you contact him for some advice especially for difficult problems. His PBoss partner Mike Otto is one of the best & experienced pond builders in the US. Mike knows the dirt conditions and soil types very well in NE TX. If you get Otto to build your pond it will be one of the best ponds in your area.

The book 'Perfect Pond Want One' will be a very good learning tool. Bob and Mike wrote that book. I would have one of them check the new property before getting serious about closing on it.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/27/14 04:21 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
PoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Gee-
Thanks again everyone,
I am getting everything together here with all your responses. Great to know there is a pro in the area I am looking at.
Heck, maybe I should just contact him- even for recommendations on an agent in the area.
So glad I took the time to join PB and ask those questions.
I hope I can reciprocate as I learn more. Try to pass on some learned knowledge to others-
Thanks, Really
-Anthony

P
PoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Great idea- Thanks.

If you can buy drainable pond then it's better than undrainable pond. Why?

Advantages:

1) possibility to change water level. For example you can keep shallow water all the summer for the fish to grow faster. When autumn comes, you simply raise the water level and fish have a deep pond for winter.
2) it's 100% drainable. In case you wan't to get rid of fish or you find a leak or you want to clean some weeds (whatever) then drain it and do whatever has to be done. I doubt that you can use simple water pump for 4 acre pond wink

Disadvantages:

1) probably such ponds aren't not that common as undrainable pond;
2) they might be more expensive.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob-O
Recent Posts
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Ortantyun - 05/15/24 11:22 AM
Happy Birthday Bob-O