Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS
18,526 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,455
Members18,527
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,602
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Kirrb, esshup, Snipe, Bobbss, Layne), 750 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hi all, Yesterday I started noticing my large perch 12" in my small 1/5 acre pond are all up at the edges of the pond and not moving very quickly, you almost can pick them up and last night 3 died. I have had this pond for 20 yrs. and not sure what the heck happened this week. What I can tell you is I started running my aeration bubbler about a month ago and only run it 2 hrs a day right now. I also had a lot of algae in my rock ledge so we I mixed a gallon of Cutrine plus and sprayed my pond with it and then ran my bubbler for about 24hrs to mix the pond up to get a good kill on the algae. I also added 4 large mouth bass to my pond this week which were about 10in in length. Do I have an oxygen problem or stress these fish out somehow. The perch just came off the spawn a couple weeks ago. Any help would be appreciated as these fish are dying fast. I actually know Bill Cody personally and hoping he will chime in. Thanks Todd

C
C
How much plant life died in a short period of time?

T
OP Offline
T
I have a small amount of algae growing in and around my rock ledge. It looks like i got a kill on the algae. I just got home from work and 3 more perch died, but the other perch are starting to be scared of me when I walk around the pond. I do also have a couple of Hybrid stripped bass in there and I haven't seen a problem with them. I think its an oxygen thing. Should I run my bubbler 24-7?

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Hello-and welcome to PondBoss.
Not an expert here, but from what I've read, and remember from organic chemistry, you're almost certainly having a DO crash, and your most stressed fish, the large postspawn YP, are most vulnerable.
Your algae are dying, therefore not producing 02 and in fact consuming it as they degrade. Not sure about your Cutrine, but some copper products recommend only treating part of the pond at a go. Although completely logical and understandable ["Nontoxic to Fish!!"], you probably magnified the crash by running the aerator full bore to fully disseminate the cutrine.

So, in terms of recommendations--probably best to run the aerator all the time for now.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm with Yolk Sac. 99 percent of all fish kills are due to low D.O. However many times there are other factors that join together that cause a FUBAR. Sounds like you did such a good on the algae the decomposing algae is consuming oxygen, and/or your now 24/7 mixing of the water column is bringing up anoxic water. I don't know enough about the copper to know if you exceeded the lethal dose.

That said I'm not sure if there would be that much anoxic water on it's own this early in the year.

Can you get some kind of surface aeration going even if it's some kind if pump that pumps and splashes water onto the surface?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/26/14 01:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd:

How much planktonic algae was in the pond at the time of the application?

What PPM were you shooting for when you applied it? For algae treatments, you calculate the volume of water in the pond, then look at the label to see what the target PPM application rate is for that specific type of algae, then apply it. (a combination of Table 1 and Table 2)
http://www.archwaterworks.com/Docs/Surface/Labels/Cutrine-Plus.pdf

I would be running the aeration system 24/7 if you don't have a way to test the DO levels.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Are perch, 2 HSB, and 4 LMB the only fish species in the pond?? No minnows, grass carp, nor koi?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/26/14 09:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
OP Offline
T
I started running the bubbler yesterday and today the perch are more active. its tuff to get close to them. thanks BILL, yes mainly perch and a couple of HSB, I did just put in 4 large mouth bass last week. I used to have Rock bass in the pond but they were to aggressive on our toes, so I think I have fished them out.I do have alot of minnows. I'm actually thinking on putting in some water lillies.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think you also had some copper toxicity issues together with lower DO in the deep water with maybe some hydrogen sulfide from winter stratification that was brought to the surface with aeration. YP are three times more sensitive to copper than bass. If you are using blue dye this is hindering good natural dissolved oxygen production by the algae that you killed with copper based Cutrine application. Killing lots of algae with a well distributed / mixed dose of Curtine would lower the DO when all of it stopped making oxygen and started to die which also uses oxygen.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/27/14 12:36 PM.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Bill Cody, I don't know how true this is, but I was told once to use your algae killer sprayer nozzle under water right on the algae. Of course not the whole pond at once.

What do you think?

I've been using some decendents (sp)of Rainmans blues. But they can't keep up with the Emilfoil.

Sorry I got off topic blush.

Last edited by hang_loose; 04/27/14 10:15 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hang-Loose you are correct - blue tilapia do not eat milfoil and then only maybe a little bit as a last resort. Application of algaecides is based on the type of algaecide and growth habit of the algae. It all depends.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/28/14 11:09 AM.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Thank you Bill...I very much appreciate your knowledge and info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jrschneider, Robocopc
Recent Posts
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by esshup - 05/12/24 11:15 PM
curly leaf infestation
by esshup - 05/12/24 10:59 PM
Nested Mallards
by FishinRod - 05/12/24 09:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/12/24 09:37 PM