Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30388 05/15/04 07:43 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I keep getting mixed ansewers about aereation so I can really use some help. Basicly, I am putting in a new 1 acre pond in a few weeks and I'm trying to get everything in order. My questions are this: Should I aerate right away, or wait a year or two? Also, for a new pond how often and when? Finally, I live in Michigan and want to skate, play hockey etc. on the ice, so do I shut the aeration off over the winter or not? I keep getting different ansewers and am more confused then ever. Thanks for the help!

Nobody puts Baby in a corner!
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I live in michigan also and you can skate in the winter so long as you can get the snow off the pond so light can get thru. We skated for about 2 months this winter and it was great. Did not have any fish kill at all that I noticed. My pond is 1/2 acre in size and I run aerators in it 24/7 mid may thru leaf fall (sept./oct.). Oh and my pond is 1 year old and I started with aerators right away.

Its not how well you do something,
Its how well you look doing it!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
S-Tarpon - This is why you are confused.. Aeration is a complex topic and not lots of basic scientific research has been conducted on aeration of small to medium sized ponds. Also many types of aerators are marketed that each operate a little or a lot differently. SO there are many THEORIES or opinions as what to do. AS many theories as there are salesmen! All "EXPERTS" have their opinion and VERY FEW have real test results to show you. Few are willing to take the time to design a unit, explain run times and maybe do some tests that are specifically for your pond.

In my opinion, different ponds and different settings have different aeration requirements. So aeration specifics for your pond will depend on several if not numerous things. General recomendations are applied to most all ponds with disregard to specifics of each pond's morphometry, eutrophic nature and locality (region/climate) and etc.

We have discussed winter aeration (for northern ice forming states) and compresor run times in several previous posts. Northern ponds circulate naturally during real early spring and then again late fall until free-up. Why run your aearator when nature is adequately mixing your pond for you?. First Search and Read past posts for more on this topic.

Some unique ponds will have oxygen on the bottom year round. These ponds typically do not need aeration (artificial or supplimental circulation / destratification).

For most all other ponds to be real accurate, basically you have to calculate how many circulations your pond needs each day (or week). This can be a hard question for most to accurately answer. Most advisors GUESS at the answer. Genearally speaking, young (newish)ponds with low nutrient loading need fewer circulations per day than older, and or nutrient & organic rich ponds. Internal pond temperature also affects number of required circulations. Circulations are designed to replace the "bad" water that develops first at the mud water interface (or in other deterioriating stagnant water zones) with better quality water from usually the surface (epilimnion or illuminated zone).

Most simply, I think you basically want to try and maintain 2 to 4 parts per million oxygen at the pond's mud-water interface. Higher values might be better. You definately do not want anoxic conditions (zero oxygen) to develop at the mud water interface. Anoxic conditions change the whole biological community on the pond bottom from a healthy zone to a septic (dead) zone. Septic conditions drastically slow down the decomposition rate of organics while producing additional chemicals that degrade water quality.

To get a real good handle on how many circulations that are needed one needs to do dissolved oxygen and biological oxygen demand (BOD) tests at several critical times and areas of the pond. Very few "aeration stores" have the ability to do these tests. These will provide static oxygen demand values to indicate when and how often the water needs to be replaced with water containig higher dissolved oxygen.

Also entering into this formula is the volume and strength of the surface boil and the volume of the pond and shape of the basin. These will also determine how fast a circulation can occur with a particular style of aerator.

Technically it can get complex but most simplify it by giving general liberalized answers to cover most all cases. These are the type of answers you have been getting. Confusing conflicting and some inaccurate.

The best answer gets complicated and can not be made without actual pond tests. So you will have to probably accept the generalized answers.

Typically I try to size an aerator so it does not have to run continuously. I try to achieve 4 to 8 hrs per day run times. This can in larger or irregular shaped ponds can require larger hp or multiple compressors which sometimes becomes cost prohibitive for the customer. Smaller sized units in these settings need to then be run longer times to get the necessary number of gallons of water moved to destratify and circulate and distribute oxygenated water to all if not most of the pond zones.

So to give you "good" generalized aeration answers one needs pond depths, basin shape, a general idea of the annual organic /nutrient inputs, average, min., max. water clarity, and maybe a few other aerator hardware item details. As I said in the begining it is not a real simple answer if you want a specific accurate or compelte answer. Every pond can be different and as the pond ages the answer can change due to the pond's features or inputs changing. I used up a lot of space and still did not really tell you much or give you a definate answer, but tried to explain why.

Get your unit from someone you trust to be knowledgable and is willing to take some time and discuss things with you. Also you need to be knowledgable enough to ask THEM some specific questions to get specific answers. You can always verify his answers with an experienced, educated and knowledgeable second opinion. Not all doctors were dedicated "A" grade students; some "just got by" and did as litle as possible. You probably don't want those "monkeying" with your body or your pond system.

PS. Initial installation. If you do not fertilize your pond and it settles out pretty clear and does not develop green colored water the first year,, then you probably do not need to install your aerator the first summer. Irreparable damage will not be done in your locale during the first year. But it will be better if money is availabe to install the first year and run it at least 3 to 4 hrs per day.

A one acre, deep pond (18' - 24')would probably be best aerated with a 3/4 hp rotary high pressure (15psi, 8cfm) compressor. This unique unit is made by GAST Mfg Inc& available from Stoney Creek Equip, Grant MI. This can be operated at 110V or 220V, is quiet, dependable, easy maintence and with a long motor life. Typically rotary vane compresssors operate at 10psi and release air to a maximum of about 18'; beyond that depth the compressors have shortened life spans. The deeper pond in your region and amount of snow cover is probably best for fish survival during winter(discussed for you in earlier posts).

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
OP Offline
S
Wow, Thanks for the info. Bill! This is why this site is so great.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner!
I
I
S tarpon, man, what did you do to get one star, tick somebody off? well, if it makes you feel any better, i felt bad for ya and gave you a good rating, you deserve that for simply finding this website. keep asking questions, that's how we all learn.

also, we are so lucky to have folks like bill up above who can provide us such valuable info. i first started visiting this site, i think about 1.5- 2 years ago. i still gain so much info from it.

bill, thanks again for your valuable input, i know it takes so long to write such good comments like that, and we really do appreciate it. now, when you get carpal tunnel syndrome or writers/typers' cramp, maye I can help YOU out for once!!! ha, thanks; mark and i'm sure the rest of the gang

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bill,

I'd like to echo what Mark stated. Given the time of year, I'm sure the fish experts are very busy so I appreciate the time and effort you and all the other fish squeezers put into addressing our questions.

Mark,
I thought fishing was the best cure for carpal tunnel....... ;\)

Russ

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Don't forget to test fo pH and akalinity. That is more important than fertilizer as fertilizer won't even work well with improper pH.

For a deep pond an aerator down in the deep holes works best.

D
D
I just wanted to say Hi to everyone at this web sight. This is an amazing place to gain knowledge. I'm a city kid that just bought a home on 5 acres of land with a 2 acre pond. I am trying to educate myself on pond management so I don't mess things up. The previous owner has done well, and I will probably continue doing what he has done, but I need to know and understand the workings of pond life. My pond has been stocked with Bass, Bluegill and Catfish. I have learned to better support the quality of life of the fish, this needs to be fished to thin out the population. Does anyone have a recommendation of fishing pole?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dan - Go to and click "forum home" (top pg right). At the very bottom you will see the "help" heading. Click it and there you will see "new topic" buttons at the top and bottom of the page. Click one of them and post your question there. Maybe use a topic like - Beginners Fishing Pole, or something similar. This will put this thread under its own topic and it will be easily located for future reference. Thanks, BC.

PS What leads you to believe your pond needs to have the fish "thinned".

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM