Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,290
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,576
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, ewest, JoshMI, RAH, Don Kennedy, rkleman, Sunil, BarkyDoos), 1,049 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I am studying the pros and cons of installing a wind-powered aerator for my 1/2 acre pond. The pond is far from a source of electricity so I am stuck with wind power. Anyway, I found a website of a windmill dealer and he says:

"CAUTION: This type of aeration system is only recommended in locations where you have CONSTANT wind. This system can induce a fish kill if not operated properly! Our biologists advise you to operate this system only during the winter months, unless you have a CONSTANT 5 mph or greater wind speed."

I'm sure there are times here in southern Indiana when the air is calm. I can install a windmill on a hill top away from trees so the chance of a breeze is greater. But lots of evenings in the summer and fall will be calm. Is this guy's claim legitimate? Or is a windmill for my location a waste of money?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I read that information also when it can out in their new catalog. That information comes from Jones Fish Farm, Cincinnati OH. I do not think they are completely correct in this statement. I am a long time dealer of the same brand of windmills they sell. There are numerous details to fully explain their dramatic comment.

Constant wind is not necessary to maintain destatification of a small pond 1/4 to 3/4 acre. BUT for odd shaped ponds and ponds Larger the 3/4 acre the windmill is not sufficient for complete pond circulation. But common sense should tell you that you should have open exposure to wind from at least three directions for the windmill to be minimally affective.

ALL bottom aeration systems, not just the windmill can induce a fish kill when operated IMPROPERLY. Knowing all the disadvantages of windmill aeration, I say get a windmill for your remote pond. You will have more fish kills WITHOUT the windmill than with it.

I "think" they are trying to scare you into ALSO buying their electric aerator. Since they are the only ones "preaching" this sermon, I also think they are trying to make you believe that their biologists know something everyone else does not know and they are "gifted" above all others. They scare you and don't tell you the "rest of the story". If one really knows limnology and the "product" capabilities you can esily see through this smoke. They are only telling you part of the story to make a point; not sure what the hidden point is yet.

After rereading this and reflecting a little, I think what they are getting at is that during brief periods of very gentle wind or no wind the pond will stratify and lose all its oxygen in the deep water. Then after a day or several days with little or no circulation in hot weather, restarting strong circulation will bring up all this new "bad water" and result in a fish kill. "HOGWASH". These guys severely overestimate the ability and circulation power of their windmill. 1. Koender's Windmills produce weak circulation and upwelling currents; even during stronger winds (compared to electric diffuser aerators), thus recirculating an idle pond after several days will not happen fast when using a windmill unless nature assists in the circulation.

2. Plus, the oxygen loss in the restratified deep layer will not happen in just a couple of days under most conditions (I have tested this). About the only way the oxygen loss could happen this fast in the deep water restratified zone is if a phytoplankton bloom died or crashed or you kill lots of weeds or algae all at one time. Then the tremendous decompostion process will "RAPIDLY" consume oxygen and reduce it to lethal levels for the fish.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Bill,

Thanks very much for answering my question and giving me the information I need to make an informed purchasing decision.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Not many inland locations that can claim a constant 5mph wind is there? Is there anyplace that can? I am surprised they sell them at all with such a statement.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pottsy - I think the intent of the 5mph wind statement was to get the consumer to conclude to buy both the windmill AND one of their electirc units to suppliment the windmill. That way they sell more equipment and makes them more money. Everybody wants more money.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Commissioner - If you get the windmill, I would look into geting a better & more efficient diffuser for the unit rather than the one supplied with most Koenders windmills. Koenders diffuser is too small (dia 6") of a diameter and more importantly it produces too large of bubbles. It is a stone diffuser that collects carbonate deposits that need to be periodically cleaned with muratic acid to remove the mineral deposits.

The smaller the bubbles produced by a diffuser the more water that is moved. I prefer rubber membrane diffusers for the windmill; either a 10" or 14" dia, also the tube type are ok 2"dia by abt 24". These diffusers create real fine bubbles, clean up easy and create a least a doubling of the boil size and water moved for the same amount of air.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Who has the cheapest rubber membrane diffuser and how much would it be?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I'm not sure about the cheapest, but I have for the last two years sold Vertex Water Features diffusers. Check it out at on their website with the same name. It is under warranty for 5 years. It is easy to sink and comes with 2-9" disc. The upright base keeps it off the bottom and it has very small bubbles. I have had no trouble with them at all to this point. Suggested Retail is $115.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
F
F
Stoney Creek sells them even though the windmills they sell have stones.

I tried cement bricks with my air lines, but apparently spaced them too far apart as the line is still floating. They were about the size of a regular red brick.

Getting the trencher close enough to the pond was quite a task considering the current water level. I hope they will be deep enough.

F
F
I'm also trying out Koenders double pumper job. Too bad they are "Ted" into only one air line, but I guess that is so the line will not twist and pinch. I'm running 2 diffusers in a 36 year old pond to try and lose about a foot of muck. We measured 15' max depth over most of the middle.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
fourust, Youve got me curious as to how you will regulate air to 2 diffusers off one air line as the air will take the path of least resistance.

M
M
Forustir:

Where did you get your double pumper Koenders windmill? Nobody seems to have it or know about it. Is it a twin diaphragm?

F
F
Stoney Creek sent a dual manifold with 2 gate valves. Single line in and dual lines out. I figure they will be mostly full on depending on how the pump works.

The pump is new this year, so I'm a guinea pig. Yes, it has 2 diaghrams, one on each end which are "T"ed together to the single lin that runs down to the valves.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
You may find all the air going to one diffuser as it is next to impossible to have the diffusers at the same depth with the exact amount of hose with the same water temperature,(all equals backpressure) keep in mind that as the wind varies that the cfm will constantly change and seek the lesser of the 2 backpressures. You may find them easy to set with a full wind and then constant adjustment as the wind fluctuates.If this windmill has two exhaust ports you would eliminate the above problem by running two seperate hoses.Goodluck and let us know how it works out.Ted

F
F
The lines are different length for sure, but I was surprised to find the water depth to be consistantly about 14'. From the pictures of the orginal dig I was hoping for a deeper hole at the far end. Muskrats dug into the bank about 5 years after the pond was built plus normal sluffing of the banks filled it in pretty well.

I'm not sure how to run two seperate lines without having them twist. The windmill head could rotate more than 360 deg since there are no stops.

I figure the airflow is bound to change with the weather, but with no power to the pond and no desire to install a solar system at this time (about the price of a pump and dredge)this will have to suffice.

At least with the valves I could possibly shut one diffuser off in the winter. We have never had a fish kill, so I will probably just disconnect the air line since we like to skate.

I'll put pictures on too if I can figure out how to!

F
F
It's up and working. I see what you mean about the back pressure. I have the shortest line almost completely closed to get both diffusers to bubble. But, atleast there will be some air getting to the bottom.

I added the Pond Clear bacteria yesterday as well. Time will tell if all this effort pays off.

If you want pics, looks like I'll have to leave them to your e-mail addy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Augie - 05/06/24 02:00 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM