Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Snipe, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil), 1,071 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Greetings,

We've got 2 ponds in our neighborhood 9 and 6 acres, 20ft max depth, 10 ft. average depth. Each are surrounded by a concrete curb 15" high and extending out into the lake 10' at a 30 degree angle to an approximate depth of 4'. The lakes are amenities in our 20 year old neighborhood, with the primary purpose being irrigation of common areas. The lakes are well fed and the level of the lakes does not vary more than a foot depending on how much evaporation / seepage we have.

A combination of factors has led us to believe that we need to aerate/destratify the lakes (occaisonal fish kill, Eurasian Milfoil infestation, Filamentous Algae on top of Milfoil, Gin-clear water). We've got the subscription to Pond Boss, ordered the 3 books (read the "Raising Trophy Bass" book that has arrived), and scoured the discussion forums.

We've considered the alternatives (i.e. wind, solar, compressor) and believe that compressed air diffusors are what we need. I've googled "pond air diffusor" and came up with an outfit that I don't recall seeing mentioned on this board (with which I have no affiliation). Does anyone have experience with them?

Also, my belief is that we should, upon installing the diffusors, begin using them only for brief periods during the day. Is it better to wait until after the lakes have turned over naturally?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
maybe I'm biasied but I sell exclusively Vertex diffused air systems and Kasco Marine surface aertors. vertex has great customer service and are always performing research to improve their products. I feel they are hard to beat for the money. If your current water temps are mid 60's it may be best to wait to install the systemafter your turnover. Good luck with them, if you desire prices let me know.
greg

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
A
OP Offline
A
Hey Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I lived outside Marietta in Acworth from '93-'99. We now live, and the ponds are located, 1 hour North of San Francisco in Sonoma County, California.

I have been in contact with Vertex/Aqua Systems and am waiting to hear their recommendation for the lakes. I'm thinking each needs at least a Air 4 XL. I am curious to see if we need to fertilize with aeration to the the optimal Secchi disk readings. It is encouraging, at least, to see a plan coming together.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I'm about 20 miles from Acworth. Anway, if you talk to Cary tell him your goals as well. If you plan on fertilizing to maximize fish growth let him know it will make a diff. in how many diffusers are neccesary. Good luck!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
F
F
If you are looking for a great alternative to Vertex check out the Great Lakes Aeration system that is sold by Aquatic EcoSystems

C
C
Andy,

Hello, I am the Aeration Manager for Vertex. I know that Christina is working on your design. I am not sure she was aware of your goal to raise trophy size bass.

I will speak with her tomorrow and we will want to reduce your circulation rate to 1/2 of the volume of your lake per day.

This will allow for the plankton to grow, an essential element for trophy bass.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call and ask for me.

Cary Martin
J
J
andy, vertex makes a great product, and cary will ensure that you get the best system for your goals, and that you are well taken care of as a customer. i bought mine from him just over a year ago. i couldn't be more pleased. jb

Take great care of it, or let someone else have it.
M
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
Andy,
I am not sure she was aware of your goal to raise trophy size bass.

I will speak with her tomorrow and we will want to reduce your circulation rate to 1/2 of the volume of your lake per day.

This will allow for the plankton to grow, an essential element for trophy bass.

I'm looking for info about Aeration systems and this is good to know.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM